Microphone for interviews with HDR-HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Tourist

Microphone for interviews with HDR-HC1

I'm new to DV and I'm currently trying to put my first short piece together. I have a Sony HDR-HC1 for now, outfitted with a Rode Videomic. I need to do some interviews, though, and I understand the Videomic isn't right for that.

So, I'm looking for a decent solution. Some more background: the camera doesn't have the so-called XLR connection, but just a little microphone jack; I'm doing journalism work; I'd like to be able to use the microphone on a future upgraded camera as well; my work will be mostly in Europe and the Middle East.

With that in mind:
- what is a good, affordable, sturdy and reliable microphone that would fit this camera and a later more professional camera?
- how much cable do I realistically need to have?
- should I change the camera's audio settings when I do interviews?

Thanks
John van Rosendaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you are planning on using a camera-mounted mic for your interview audio you may as well stick with your Videomic. Possibly a Sennheiser MKE300 supercardioid might be a slight improvement. It is battery powered and will connect with your mini jack.

However, you will get far better results by using a mic that is placed closer to your subject. This would be either a boom pole mounted shotgun or hypercardioid, or a lavalier mic placed right on the interviewee. If you go to the "Now Hear This" forum, you will find lots of discussions on the merits of various microphones being used for exactly this purpose.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Trustee

I've done some of this with an HC1. I used a few old samson UFH series one wireless. However, I used high quality Audio Technica Omni Lavs. They add some good tone and not tinny. If you frame your shot closely, you can mount the lav on a boom just overhead, otherwise, you'll have to mount on the person.

You will get some added noise (due to the unbalanced signal), and you can remedy that by recording a few seconds of just the room noise/ambiance. If you have either sound forge or Audition, you can apply that noise clip as a noise filter in the interviewee's recording. You do want to leave some noise/ambience, however, but it'll give you greater flexibility in shaping the sound in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series