Show your HC5/HC7 setup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Simon -
I got one off Ebay from a seller named gktex - haven't seen them listing lately - I'll try to take a picture so you know what to look for - the key is the threading in the far end of the camera screw slot.

I just happened to have one in a pile of brackets I bought as a lot, and saw someone else using one to extend a single bracket and the light bulb went on! I'd been trying to get two brackets to mate up with mixed results - the flat does the trick.

I've since bought a backup set - the flat from Ebay, brackets from another major online source (don't think B&H has the Stratos brackets, but non folding ones can work too, and they have some like that - I just like the folding ones so they fit in my kit - on the flip side, they can move about at awkward times, so fixed could be better in some circumstances!

Best thing about this is the flexibility of movement - sure it's not as stable as a full on gimballed rig, but then again the price is right, and it's probably 90+% with practice - and if you want to do any wacky tilts and tracking, it probably is better than a rig designed to keep your horizon level. I have a mini steadicam (handheld) that will fly the HC7 perfectly - cute little bugger, looks like you left a full size rig in the dryer and it shrunk - one of these days I'll probably mate it up with my old steady stick, but the brackets work so well, it's not a big hurry item!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Haha alright man, I'll keep looking around.

If you find anything (dont go out of your way though) please let me know.

Thanks,

Simon Jones
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #18
Trustee

Update - I now have the helmet cam done and posted it in the Support Your Local Camera section

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=97453
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #19
New Boot

Re Giottos lanc controler

Hi Dave,
This is Paul have searched everywhere to buy a giottos lanc contoller like the one you use but with negative results .can you tell from were you had bought it.
regards

Paul
Paul Xuereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #20
New Boot

Giotto Lanc Controler

Can Any one can help me to buy the giotto lanc controller please'???

Thanks.

regards Paul
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Paul -
I emailed you - did it not go through? Adorama is the only place I found for the giottos LANC and the Stratos brackets...I don't think they're a sponsor (maybe they should be approached?), so I was reluctant to post, but if they are the only source... hope it will be forgiven.

WHOOPS, Just checked their site, and they no longer show the controller... looks like it may have been replaced by another model (B&H is showing the RC-2020 discontinued...) there was a Google link to markertek.com - they say they have it, but it looks different... might be worth a try anyway - I'm intrigued by the description that the focus acts as a temporary override if the cam is in auto... may have to try one! If you get one, post how it works - I'd like to know if the W/T is improved over the 2020! Again sorry for a non-sponsor link... but this is one of those hard to find items...

Dave
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #22
New Boot

re Giotto lanc

Thanks dave, I will check further with them.

Regards
Paul
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Now I'd like to share a (sorta) rig I use to try to simulate a broadcast cam's movements...

A Manfrotto mini pro (190DX) tripod with only two legs extended out on my body (I have to be standing still though.)

I put my body inbetween the two extended legs (with the legs at minimum length, not maximum length.) and I lay it so that it's steady and then I have one hand on one of the legs of the tripod and one on the camera.

Most of the results and pans look very broadcast cam like. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of the footage soon. (The upload speed to North America is very slow here in China.)

I just went to places in Northern Sichuan in China that are UNESCO sites. I can't say them just yet.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #24
Major Player

here is my set up:

http://www.msnusers.com/sonywalkman/_homepage.msnw
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Arnold View Post
U/W Setup - need to work on land setup...

Gates HC7 Underwater Housing
Gates ‘Fathom Signature’ Wide Angle Port – WP25
Gates Flat Port - FP25
NiteRider™ HID Pro 20 U/W Video Lights
Hi
I just ordered a HDR-HC7 as a backup to my HVR-Z1U,
I am planning to buy a UW housing for this, How do you like the Gates, and which port would you buy if you only wanted 1 port.
I cuurently shoot stills UW, used to used a F100 film in a Sea & Sea housing, now I switched to a D200 digital in a Sea & Sea housing, so I thought I would play with video.
I do have 2 HID cannister UW lights, but they are not for video, just for handheld light for diving, think of making a bracket to use as video lights.
Here's my outdated website, have done much with it lately
Still sorting out slides to upload.

http://clubweb.interbaun.com/yhmah
Yung Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Mah View Post
Hi
I just ordered a HDR-HC7 as a backup to my HVR-Z1U,
I am planning to buy a UW housing for this, How do you like the Gates, and which port would you buy if you only wanted 1 port.
I cuurently shoot stills UW, used to used a F100 film in a Sea & Sea housing, now I switched to a D200 digital in a Sea & Sea housing, so I thought I would play with video.
I do have 2 HID cannister UW lights, but they are not for video, just for handheld light for diving, think of making a bracket to use as video lights.
Here's my outdated website, have done much with it lately
Still sorting out slides to upload.

http://clubweb.interbaun.com/yhmah
Nice F100 shots - I especially like the Hermit Crab.
Wow - congrats on the D200 setup - would love to see some of your shots. I've been really impressed with the results I've seen from that camera U/W.

I really like my Gates housing. It's hard for me to compare, as I've only used Gates over the last 8 years (for Sony PC-100, JVC HD10US, and now HC7) but I really think that you can't go wrong with the Gates. There's a lot more info about the various housings options for the HC7 on the following sites (and I'm sure others - but I would definately check these):
http://wetpixel.com/forums/
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/und...r-videography/

I guess if I had to pick one port (and had an unlimitted budget) I'd go with the Fathom "Super Wide Port– SWP25". This would give you 110 FOV full zoom through for macro. That being said, I don't like shooting macro with a W/A port, and I mainly use the flat port (and starting to use diopters as I had with my previous setup). You may want to check with some people who use the SWP to see how macro is.

As for the HID lights, those may get you by for starters, if you are able to find adjustable arms for them. You will probably want to use filters/diffusers to soften the lights.

I have posted some of my local Southern California videos here:
www.mydivinglife.com/ScubaBob

I also have other videos posted on the sites above.

Please let me know what you decide!
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Arnold View Post
Nice F100 shots - I especially like the Hermit Crab.
Wow - congrats on the D200 setup - would love to see some of your shots. I've been really impressed with the results I've seen from that camera U/W.

I really like my Gates housing. It's hard for me to compare, as I've only used Gates over the last 8 years (for Sony PC-100, JVC HD10US, and now HC7) but I really think that you can't go wrong with the Gates. There's a lot more info about the various housings options for the HC7 on the following sites (and I'm sure others - but I would definately check these):
http://wetpixel.com/forums/
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/und...r-videography/

I guess if I had to pick one port (and had an unlimitted budget) I'd go with the Fathom "Super Wide Port– SWP25". This would give you 110 FOV full zoom through for macro. That being said, I don't like shooting macro with a W/A port, and I mainly use the flat port (and starting to use diopters as I had with my previous setup). You may want to check with some people who use the SWP to see how macro is.

As for the HID lights, those may get you by for starters, if you are able to find adjustable arms for them. You will probably want to use filters/diffusers to soften the lights.

I have posted some of my local Southern California videos here:
www.mydivinglife.com/ScubaBob

I also have other videos posted on the sites above.

Please let me know what you decide!
Someone recommended going with Amphibico housing since it's electronic rather than mechanical.
What is the differnce between an mechanical and electronic housing, my first thoughts was the Gates because of the optional ports.

Thanks
Yung Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Electronic housings are said to be easier to use then mechanical. Electronic controls also have a higher chance of failing in the field then mechanical controls (then what do you do?). Make sure the housing you pick as full access to the controls you want to use (Manual White Balance, Iris, Photo, etc.)

Manual White Balance is far more important on video then still photography. Amphibico makes some great housings - but not having manual white balance, especially on an HDV camera - would be a waste IMO.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series