How long charge battery? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Major Player

How long charge battery?

It seems to be taking forever to charge my battery. hdr-hc3. Wondering what others find
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Major Player

ok guys, help me out here.
I got some progress. I got two cameras, to AC adapers, and on one bank, the AC to camera charged battery #2 fine.
On other bank, AC and camera 1 can't seem to charge battery 1. the AC, and camera get hot, and the battery is still at only 1/4. I don't know the culprit though, anyone have any ideas? thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Did you try using battery 1 with camera 2 yet? Or battery 2 with camera 1?

Was battery 1 left discharged/ dead and then unused and uncharged for weeks at a time?
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks Jeff, well I'm going to do a bunch of test shortly, using variations between my batteries and ac adapter and two cameras. This battery was at 1/4 full for several weeks.

I'm also trying to figure out best way to drain other batteries to test this.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
thanks Jeff, well I'm going to do a bunch of test shortly, using variations between my batteries and ac adapter and two cameras. This battery was at 1/4 full for several weeks.

I'm also trying to figure out best way to drain other batteries to test this.
I think you have it, you need do need to try several combinations to narrow down what is causing the problem. Try to change only one variable at a time.

I don't know of a good way to drain batteries. I think the best may be to just record on a dummy tape until the battery dies.

The reason why I asked if the battery was left dead for a while is because I read that Lithium batteries can be damaged if left like that too long, and they can get into a "deep discharge" state where they take a very long time to recharge.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
I don't know of a good way to drain batteries. I think the best may be to just record on a dummy tape until the battery dies.
The HC3 manual says to turn A. SHUT OFF on the STANDARD SET menu to NEVER and leave the cam in record standby mode. The heads will spin down after a few minutes but everything else stays alive to drain the battery. Page 116.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #7

Ah, this is interesting... I've been meaning to ask -

I'm using an NP-QM91D battery with my A1E, and I've used it on my old PC101E before;

When I first bought it, it could provide about 550 minutes shooting time on the PC101. After a while it would only charge up to 300 minutes - and similarly now on the A1, it is apparently charging, but it doesn't seem to be getting very far...

So could the cause of this be because it's been left undrained for a long period of time? I thought Li-Ion didn't have a memory effect?
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Battery's probably checked into the Old Age home

Just my opinion.
I manage a fleet of laptops w/ LiOn batts. They last 8-24 months. Some make it to 36 months, but none recharge to 100% after 18-24 months. Most hit half-life around 12-15 months - only lasting half as long as when new.

If you REALLY want to know more, here's a great site for you.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

One good strategy is to buy batts over time and use a marker to indicate month/year when placed into service. We do this with our replacement batts, so we can go back for warranty service, if still in warranty.

By the way, i am refering to running time, not the LED meter when I mention recharge percent.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Harring View Post
Just my opinion.
I manage a fleet of laptops w/ LiOn batts. They last 8-24 months. Some make it to 36 months, but none recharge to 100% after 18-24 months. Most hit half-life around 12-15 months - only lasting half as long as when new.

If you REALLY want to know more, here's a great site for you.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

One good strategy is to buy batts over time and use a marker to indicate month/year when placed into service. We do this with our replacement batts, so we can go back for warranty service, if still in warranty.

By the way, i am refering to running time, not the LED meter when I mention recharge percent.
Thanks for that... hmm, yeah I guess mine has just worn down to 50% then. Which is a shame considering it started off as advertised - it gave 9 hours life. Oh well, 4 hours should suffice... I'll probably buy another one, they're dead cheap now on eBay, around £15 cheapest for a 91D...
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Major Player

thanks Jeff.
Well these are new batteries, so I don't even know what that means, "left like that for a long time". left like what? But geez, it there a way to know how my battery is doing? I'ts still in warranty.

thanks Adam for that info.

thanks James, what is way to know how you battery life currently is? Is it by how full the battery icon looks after a recharge? or wont a battery always indicate full after a recharge?

"not the LED meter when I mention recharge percent." -- what does that mean?

I guess I'm stuggling how to quantify this easily
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #11

Does anybody have any tips for keeping Li-Ion's life as long as possible, APART from putting it in a cold place? For example, even though they have no memory, should we drain them completely, should we not leave them connected to the charger after they're fully charged etc?
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
thanks Jeff.
Well these are new batteries, so I don't even know what that means, "left like that for a long time". left like what? But geez, it there a way to know how my battery is doing? I'ts still in warranty.
As in it's bad for a Lithium battery to be left dead for months at a time.

New batteries shouldn't have a problem, though I would hope you can exchange them.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series