Can the Sony HVR-A1U record direct to PC/Mac tethered via firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1
New Boot

Can the Sony HVR-A1U record direct to PC/Mac tethered via firewire?

Hello. I had a basic question. I was wondering if the Sony HVR-A1U could record straight to a computer tethered through a firewire cable? I need to work on a project for my job where I might need to be doing a lot of recording of instructional material and would rather tether the camcorder to my computer and record straight to it than deal with recording to tape and then transferring to a computer. Thank you.
Manuel Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2

Manuel,
Welcome to DVInfo.net!
Yes, you can record straight to computer. Any limitations would be related to computer HDD and processor speed. In fact, Adobe has a product called "OnLocation" that does exactly this. However, many NLE's will allow you to capture live material in HDV straight from the camcorder as well. OnLocation offers some advanced tools, but the quality is identical, since the camera is providing the same data stream down the Firewire cable as tape recieves in the recording process.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Doug. That helps a lot. I will tell my boss this.
Manuel Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Major Player

HDVSplit

I tried HDVSplit to capture from a live Firewire stream. Was I amazed! Straight to my notebook HD with no hiccups. I also recorded to my 500 GB USB drive with no problems.

POSSIBILITIES!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series