Re: Sony HDR HC7, help me understand Full HD ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
If we someday have a mechanism that carries a 320 x 240 payload that displays in a 1920 x 1080 display, then it's HD.
That is just silly. No, it is not Full HD, HD Ready, or any of those marketing hogwashes. It's 320x240. It's not even VCD resolution. No matter how you display it, I just can't imagine anyone calling it Any HD.

It's very simple really. Either it is 1920x1080 or it isn't. HDV isn't. It doesn't matter if anything else doesn't get to 1920x1080 yet, but that doesn't make it right to market inferior resolutions as Full HD.

Talking about how the "display" is 1920x1080 is a real hoax. Is the LCD on the hc7 1920? No? Is the signal being output by the camera 1920? Well the component/hdmi does output a scaled image, but the firewire ofcourse will not. You can scale a 1x1 image to 3000x3000. Is it Ultra HD then?

So if a someone decides to do an arbitrary resolution like 100x1080 then it's not a hoax to call it Full HD because the vertical resolution is 1080?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Why does it matter? The information isn't hidden. Either you like the footage from a camera or you don't. Who cares what you call it?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
That is just silly. No, it is not Full HD, HD Ready, or any of those marketing hogwashes. It's 320x240. It's not even VCD resolution. No matter how you display it, I just can't imagine anyone calling it Any HD.

It's very simple really. Either it is 1920x1080 or it isn't. HDV isn't. It doesn't matter if anything else doesn't get to 1920x1080 yet, but that doesn't make it right to market inferior resolutions as Full HD.

Talking about how the "display" is 1920x1080 is a real hoax. Is the LCD on the hc7 1920? No? Is the signal being output by the camera 1920? Well the component/hdmi does output a scaled image, but the firewire ofcourse will not. You can scale a 1x1 image to 3000x3000. Is it Ultra HD then?

So if a someone decides to do an arbitrary resolution like 100x1080 then it's not a hoax to call it Full HD because the vertical resolution is 1080?
Your opinion is yours to call your own, but the upshot of it is, your opinion is based on opinion, not on standards.
By your opinion, you've never once captured a frame of HD imagery with a camcorder. Varicam, HDCAM, XDCAM are also not 1080 HD by your definition.
The standard says nothing about the quality of the image.
So, let's take a very real world example. If a camera shoots a 720 x 576 image, is it HD? By your standard, of course not. If we place that same PAL stream in an HD package, ie; record PAL VHS to HDCAM, is it now HD? Of course it is. Quality can't be a consideration. It's a standard determined by framerate and resolution. Nothing more. Compression cannot (and likely never will) be part of a standard, because compression is a dynamic value, whereas framerate and resolution on the delivery device are not. They are quantifiable.
Shift the aforementioned rez to 960 x 540. Is that HD? By your standard, no. But that's exactly what one camcorder manufacturer is doing very successfully. Do you really want to argue that the HVX 200isn't an HD camcorder?
And all that said, what difference does it make? I've heard all the insipid, banal, and useless comments about HDV this, HVXProHD that, AVCHD this....and just 72 hours ago, I believe I may have shot the first nationally broadcast AVCHD footage. I'm not a huge fan of AVCHD, however...the engineer that received the footage (in DVCProHD format) wanted to know how I'd acquired it, because of the quality he perceived.
I feel these myths and measurebations over perceptions based on math get pretty silly, don't you? Aren't we better off shooting the very best we can with what our budget allows?

Regardless, "Full HD" is a marketing term widely used by the various manufacturers of HD display devices and related hardware/software to help consumers identify the resolution of the equipment that they are purchasing. One may or may not agree with the use of the term for purposes of acquisition, editing, delivery, or broadcast of the term.
Unless there is something significant to be added to this thread, consider it closed.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series