DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   Sony HVR-HD1000U Shoulder Mount for $1900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/101903-sony-hvr-hd1000u-shoulder-mount-1900-a.html)

Ervin Farkas October 29th, 2007 06:02 AM

Preliminary specs

1 Attachment(s)
... and a lot of marketing hype...

Michael Liebergot October 29th, 2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 766548)
... and a lot of marketing hype...

Yeah I have to agree.
There is no mention of any kind of lux rating, and from what I have seen have to agree that the gain is tied into the iris exporure, so that can't be locked.

I could swear that this camera was made by Sony's consumer/prosumer division and not Sony's Pro division.
Looks pretty disappointing for a camera from Sony's Pro division.

We'll have to see what the results are after it's finally released though.

Chris Klidonas November 2nd, 2007 12:50 PM

so whats missing? Can it shoot 24P or a variation of it? if you shoot 1080 60i currently is there any difference? I see that is has been said there is no progressive modes but I mainly shoot ether 24f or 1080 60i so if I had to shoot 1080 at 60i is this any different than what I am getting from a canon hdv camera, either the xlh1, xhg1, or even hv20 in terms of file? and is this a true three 1/2 inch chip camera? if so what is the difference in depth of field? how much less? In a good way I woudl like less or the ability to control it more, but from 1/3 to 1/2 is how much of a difference and from 1/2 to a 35mm depth is how much difference?

Chris

Chris Hurd November 5th, 2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Klidonas (Post 769148)
Can it shoot 24P or a variation of it?

As pointed out at the beginning of this thread, there is no 24fps capability in this camcorder.

Quote:

I had to shoot 1080 at 60i is this any different than what I am getting from a canon hdv camera, either the xlh1, xhg1, or even hv20 in terms of file?
Well, the Canon XL H1 and XH G1 are $9,000 and $7,000 camcorders, respectively. This one is less than $2,000 so I don't think it's a realistic comparison. Basically this is a Sony HC7 in shoulder-mount form, so the Canon HV20 is the only one of the three you mention that would make a fair comparison; even then the most obvious difference (shoulder mount vs. hand held) is the most important consideration.

Quote:

and is this a true three 1/2 inch chip camera?
No; as previously mentioned this camcorder has a single 1/2.9-inch CMOS sensor. For all practical purposes, the sensor size is basically just a hair over 1/3rd-inch. Hope this helps,

Aaron Winters November 15th, 2007 09:18 PM

BH has street price up of $1600, pushed back to December though. Some added specs up for those interested

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

Dave Robinson November 16th, 2007 03:37 AM

Could this camera be an alternative to the HVR-A1E I've been looking at recently?

Kevin Booth November 19th, 2007 01:31 PM

Remind me of

Sort of reminds me of the pro hi- 8. ccd-v5000.

Ervin Farkas November 19th, 2007 01:46 PM

You gotta be kidding!

That was a serious camera with plenty of manual controls.

Mark Goldberg December 8th, 2007 05:10 PM

From what I have read, this camera basically has the same guts as the consumer HDR-HC7 Handycam, repackaged as a shoulder mount system for wedding videographers who want to look more professional on the job. It will accomplish that and provide somewhat steadier footage, but I wonder about the result. The under $1000 Canon HV-20 is supposed to have a better image. Customers in the wedding market accepted smaller cams years ago.

Adam Gold December 8th, 2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Booth (Post 778090)
Sort of reminds me of the pro hi- 8. ccd-v5000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 778098)
That was a serious camera with plenty of manual controls.

God, what a great cam that was! I loved my V5000. I had about six of 'em at one point. Perfect ergonomically and beautiful picture for its time.

But objectively, as many controls as the V5000 had, my HC3 has more. And if the HD1000 is just a repackaged HC7, let's wait until we actually see a manual or someone gets his hands on a production model to see what it can do. It obviously has very few controls on the outside but let's see what's available once we dig into the menus.

Just because it isn't as customizable as a V1 or Z1 doesn't necessarily make it less serious.

C.S. Michael December 10th, 2007 01:57 AM

I think this is a smart move by Sony. It's targeted at the independent shooting weddings and so forth. Many clients equate camera size with quality, so when they see a "big camera" they are reassured.

Now if only Canon would repackage the HV20...

Ken Hull December 17th, 2007 03:12 PM

Now in stock!!!

As of Dec. 17, B&H has the HD1000 in stock. $1599.95.

Quick, somebody buy one and check it out.
Then tell the rest of us if we should spend OUR precious money on the HD1000. ;-)

Ken Hull

P.S. -- And let us know what sort of exposure-indication options it has.

William Hohauser December 18th, 2007 07:58 PM

Have one on order and will put it thru it's paces after it arrives next week.

William Urschel December 19th, 2007 11:05 AM

Here's How The Viewfinder (Doesn't) Work!

Briefly, as I'm off to an all day edit, and back on this evening. Just received a HD1000U from B&H yesterday, loaded it up with a memory card and have taken a few shots at the advertised 6.1 resolution.

As you all would guess, in bright light, takes wonderful stills! Forget everything in limited light, because just like its little brother, the HC7, the noise causes anything dark to be absolutely ugly!

The steadicam works wonderfully (as don't all the Sonys?), and the auto focus is OK. But as you all would guess (and have commented upon), that viewfinder for focus or seeing anything but the grossest detail is totally, absolutely worthless. Sure, you can frame with it (and no, I haven't tested it to see how the viewfinder exhibited framing matches up with reality), but otherwise, that's it.

I use an FX-1 for most of my work, with sometimes use of the HC7 as B-camera in bright light. I see that Sony marketing, when queried about how the CMOS in the HD1000U is the same as the HC7 did their little marketing dance with some blather about how this was really an upgrade - that how it was tweaked by Sony made all the difference! I don't believe a word of it, which is why I haven't even run rudimentary tests on this against the other two HDVs I have - I just assume, until some of you have run some really fine tests, that it is the same as the HC7, except for the form factor.

And I am as happy as I could be with it for the price (and the fine service from B&H) and that form factor - that form factor is precisely why I bought this poor imitation of a shoulder mount! So that in bright venues, where color (and other fidelity) was (were) not prime, I would have something to serve as a nice steady platform, sans a tripod, without wearing one of the always inadequate, awkward harnesses and attachable on shoulder mounts I own. Boy, for that reason, and that reason alone, this camera is just what I wanted.

Ron Wilber December 19th, 2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

"that how it was tweaked by Sony made all the difference! I don't believe a word of it,"
I doubt Sony would straight out lie. If they said they tweaked it I am sure they did, but in what way is the question!

Greg Toope December 23rd, 2007 08:13 PM

well i have one on order and hopefully should have it before the end of the year. I had a chance to see it in Montreal when Sony was doing their show. It looked pretty good. Sure its not a high end prosumer camera, but its under 2 thousand dollars. Ive been working with an HV20 lately and if I can get similar quality out of the 1000u then ill be pleased.

Darren McQuitty December 24th, 2007 01:01 PM

The company I work for got ours on Friday, just starting to play with it now. So far so good.

If it turns out to be a decent unit, Ill pick one up for myself.

Greg Toope December 24th, 2007 02:55 PM

Just got a message from the store I ordered mine from. Looks like mine is there now, unfortunately I cant get there today, so Ill pick it up on Wednesday. Definitely looking forward to playing with it.