DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/110860-first-shoot-first-impressions-hvr-hd1000.html)

Greg Toope January 8th, 2008 10:47 PM

Posted a new video on vimeo.com in regards to gain with the HVR-HD1000U. still doesnt look like you can monitor during recording but you can at least check it out during playback. So if you have some time before your shoot you can check to make sure you are getting 0db gain.

http://www.vimeo.com/481069

Hans Ledel January 9th, 2008 03:35 AM

Greg, Thank you very much for all the work you put in to show us the HD1000 "live"

I have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to assign different functions to the multiring and the touchscreen at the same time?
Would it be possible to assign Exposure to the multiring and Spotfocus to the screen when you are filming?

I am also interested in your opion about the quality of the camera, does it "feels" like it is well built or does it feel, I think the english word is, flimsy?

Cheers and once again Thank you

Hans

Greg Toope January 9th, 2008 08:21 AM

The camera itself has some actual weight to it, which is good. I think for the price tag its better then what I would have expected. In regards to the ring, you can use it and say the spot focus at the same time. Actually the spot focus works quite nice as long as you are on a tripod so that you can keep the camera steady.

Hans Ledel January 9th, 2008 08:43 AM

Thank you!

William Hohauser January 9th, 2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Ledel (Post 805290)
I am also interested in your opion about the quality of the camera, does it "feels" like it is well built or does it feel, I think the english word is, flimsy?

Hans

Flimsy, no.

After a couple of hours of it on my shoulder, slightly uncomfortable. The padding is rather hard. The shoulder rest is adjustable but you need a screw driver to do it.

William Hohauser January 10th, 2008 04:54 PM

Screen Grabs from the HD1000

5 Attachment(s)
These are some screen grabs from the HD1000 for your perusal.

Everything is handheld with the camera in automatic except for the shutter which is set at 1/30. This has the effect of making stills a bit blurrier so don't take take that against the camera. Something you might take against the camera is illustrated between the shots "Gallery" and "Hanging Pictures". This is how the camera interpreted the white balance before and after going outside for some shots. At the time I wasn't sure if there was a difference so I didn't force the camera into manual WB but I did make sure the camera was in auto white balance. I have no explanation except that the gallery was illuminated by fluorescent.

The gentleman in the pictures is Ron Diorio, a photo artist. His work can be seen at www.rondiorio.com.

Johnnie Caraballo January 10th, 2008 06:31 PM

Photography?

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 806420)
These are some screen grabs from the HD1000 for your perusal.

Everything is handheld with the camera in automatic except for the shutter which is set at 1/30. This has the effect of making stills a bit blurrier so don't take take that against the camera. Something you might take against the camera is illustrated between the shots "Gallery" and "Hanging Pictures". This is how the camera interpreted the white balance before and after going outside for some shots. At the time I wasn't sure if there was a difference so I didn't force the camera into manual WB but I did make sure the camera was in auto white balance. I have no explanation except that the gallery was illuminated by fluorescent.

The gentleman in the pictures is Ron Diorio, a photo artist. His work can be seen at www.rondiorio.com.

I'm just curious why all the attention on taking photos with a Video Cam. Am I missing something here?

William Hohauser January 10th, 2008 11:26 PM

The stills are from video clips that are part of a short promotional piece. The posted stills are for inquisitive people to make a judgement about the image quality and performance of the camera. There's no reason yet to post clips but as I do more work that's not someone else's property I might post them if they show something extraordinary about the camera.

Hans Ledel January 11th, 2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 805737)
Flimsy, no.

After a couple of hours of it on my shoulder, slightly uncomfortable. The padding is rather hard. The shoulder rest is adjustable but you need a screw driver to do it.

Thank you!

Daniel Rabranque January 12th, 2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Toope (Post 805360)
The camera itself has some actual weight to it, which is good. I think for the price tag its better then what I would have expected. In regards to the ring, you can use it and say the spot focus at the same time. Actually the spot focus works quite nice as long as you are on a tripod so that you can keep the camera steady.

Thank you very much Greg for your explanations. Your video on the gain, demonstrates the capabilities in this area.

Please Greg, what are the differences in video quality between HD1000 (1 CMOS 1/3) and FX7 (3 CMOS 1/4). Thank you

Daniel

Greg Toope January 12th, 2008 11:40 AM

That I couldnt tell you as I do not have an FX7. But the HD1000 seems to use the exact same video insides as the HC7 and A1U. Im hopefully going to take the camera out this Sunday or Monday to do some outdoor shooting with it. So Ill post as soon as I get them. All depends on the weather.

Duane Steiner January 12th, 2008 04:55 PM

Do you think the footage from the HD1000 will mix well with the Canon HV20? Also anyone try Impact batteries for it? Any other suggestions for accessories (bag, light etc)?

William Hohauser January 12th, 2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Rabranque (Post 807173)
Thank you very much Greg for your explanations. Your video on the gain, demonstrates the capabilities in this area.

Please Greg, what are the differences in video quality between HD1000 (1 CMOS 1/3) and FX7 (3 CMOS 1/4). Thank you

Daniel

Sorry to dominate the discussion here but I did a four camera shoot with the FX7 last month. The differences are in a noticable improvement in color reproduction and overall image sparkle for the FX7 but that's to be expected from a 3-chip camera. The FX7 also has a much better set of on camera functions as well as the balanced audio inputs. However the HD1000 is good in low-light for an HDV camera, it has a built in should pad and much better weight distribution.

But all said, you can take the two different cameras, shoot wisely, and with a little post color correction get to the point where the average viewer would have no idea that you were using two different types of camera. I succeeded using a JVC HD-100 and the Sony HD1000. The different recording codecs were a bigger problem!

So would I choose a FX7 over a HD1000? If money was flowing freely, yes. Would I pick the single CMOS chip Sony HVR-A1 over the HD1000? Not for the price difference Sony wants. The difficulties with the HD1000 are not enough to warrant purchasing the A1 with it's better on-camera controls. The A1 apparently has a better lens although and balanced audio inputs.

Jaser Stockert January 12th, 2008 05:25 PM

glad to hear it is good in low light. =) do you have any sample to show in low light conditions? thanks william!

Daniel Rabranque January 13th, 2008 07:08 AM

Greg and William Thank you for your responses.

In France, the HD1000 has a big price : 2100€ (3100 $). In England (on the Internet), the FX7 has a price : 2100€ (the same as HD1000).
In such condition, it is obvious that I choose FX7.

I have reviewed the manual HD1000. It has more than 110 pages, while 10 suffice!
The HD1000, has no function "manuel" except one : the ring. The HD1000 is a camcorder from beginner (= HC7) and not professional. Its only advantage is to be shoulder.

I think the cam shoulder is a good thing. Sony will be released, early 2009, camcorder FX7 shoulder with 3CMOS 1/3 at a price : 3500€.

Daniel

William Hohauser January 13th, 2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Rabranque (Post 807571)
Greg and William Thank you for your responses.

In France, the HD1000 has a big price : 2100€ (3100 $). In England (on the Internet), the FX7 has a price : 2100€ (the same as HD1000).
In such condition, it is obvious that I choose FX7.

I have reviewed the manual HD1000. It has more than 110 pages, while 10 suffice!
The HD1000, has no function "manuel" except one : the ring. The HD1000 is a camcorder from beginner (= HC7) and not professional. Its only advantage is to be shoulder.

I think the cam shoulder is a good thing. Sony will be released, early 2009, camcorder FX7 shoulder with 3CMOS 1/3 at a price : 3500€.

Daniel

All you write is correct. "Professional" is a matter of specifics you need for your work. Quite frankly the image the HD1000 produces would have been considered "professional" 5 years ago. The camera controls are not what I would like (one more lens ring and an exposure button would have been good) but considering the reasonable price, it's fine.

The price in France for this camera is ridiculous. It should be roughly 50% more expensive than the HC7 as it is here in the US ($999 vs. $1599).

Greg Toope January 13th, 2008 08:09 PM

Well I did some more shooting with the camera today. Did some shots of the falls/rapids in our area. Thought it would be a good test for the camera. Also tried out the in camera slow motion feature. Sure it's more of a gimmick but at least you can see what its doing.

http://www.vimeo.com/606162

Daniel Rabranque January 14th, 2008 08:06 PM

William Thanks for your answers.
Greg, I look and look your tests. Thank you very much. Too bad, I do not understand when you speak, fortunately your clips were sufficiently explicit.

I found the test "Outdoor test at Park in Ottawa, Ontario" had many defects sharpness (lack of depth of field) and other failures which I do not know the name. Does it flashplayer9 (I have the latest version for sure) or HD1000U ?

Is it possible to load the rush original HD "Outdoor test at Park in Ottawa, Ontario" without loss, to see exactly what happens? If yes, how? Thank very much you Greg.

Greg Toope January 14th, 2008 10:50 PM

On vimeo it is a condition of the codec that makes the image pixelate ( i think i spelled that correctly ). Also that site doesnt allow for the original file type to be uploaded as it comes back with an error when i try (original is a .mov 1280x720 24p file format). I end up compressing to an m4v format which I use as the upload version. This file type is also used so that people can play the video back via their Xbox360 and or AppleTV.

Sara Jourhmane January 15th, 2008 02:51 PM

HVR-1000U And DR60 Hard Drive

Does anyone if they work in Tapeless mode together ?

Greg Toope January 15th, 2008 05:05 PM

They should have no problem working together. We have one hooked into our HD1000U at work. I havent grabbed the footage but I have recorded to the drive. Seems to work nice.

Andy Salmons January 16th, 2008 08:10 AM

completely random, but can anyone confirm that the lens hood is fixed or removable? Thanks

Sara Jourhmane January 16th, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Toope (Post 808950)
They should have no problem working together. We have one hooked into our HD1000U at work. I havent grabbed the footage but I have recorded to the drive. Seems to work nice.

Thanks so much I was not sure if camcorder would control DR60 or not.

BTW: Hood is removable, with a sort of spring loaded locking knob.

S

Dan Gonzales January 16th, 2008 02:41 PM

Can the screen flip out?

I have heard of other peole flipping the screen on other sony cameras and just using that as a the exposure etc. buttons. Will the screen flip out and lock in place for this? Still is a pain but might be the answer for some people.

Duane Steiner January 22nd, 2008 11:02 PM

I have never used a camcorder with an eye piece viewfinder (don't know if that is what it is called). Anyone with glasses use the HD1000 yet and if so how is the viewfinder?

Adam Gold January 23rd, 2008 02:28 PM

Like most cams, you can adjust the eyepiece to match your glasses' diopter.

Daniel Rabranque January 26th, 2008 11:33 AM

Hello,
That's it, I ordered in England, the FX7 to $ 3075 including delivery. I get the next week. Let me give you my first impressions.

I paid the FX7 in England, $ 200 less than the HD1000 in france!

Daniel Rabranque

Maximilian Pinedo January 27th, 2008 03:00 PM

It Works for Me

I shot my first event last Saturday (a birthday party) and I can report the following:
The HD1000u is not the “retro VHS looking plastic camera” described by critics. It feels hefty and is made of high impact ABS plastic. Following the tradition of Sony it has a very appealing look. Since shoulder mount was a definite necessity for my business it has proven an excellent choice. The shoulder pad must be adjusted to your needs to be able to balance the weight, the camera tends to be a bit front heavy but nothing like the Canon XL2 which has made my right arm grow larger than my left. I added an additional 1/8 inch thick rubber pad under the shoulder pad to alleviate hardness. Contrary to opinions I had no problems with the hybrid LCD menus or focusing with the EVF. I found focusing comfortable even in low light. As an amateur event videographer I’m yet to find a perfect camera for low light conditions (within my pocket’s reach) so I was not expecting much and as such I’m always depending on my trusty custom on board light that possesses a 10, 20 and 50 watts setting. I have no problem convincing anyone for the need of extra lights even demanding “Bridezzilas” or stubborn Clergymen. As mentioned before I own the Cannon XL1s, the XL2, also the Sony HVR-A1U and HDR-HC1, and although the HD 1000u cannot give you the rich colors of the Canon XL2, or the manual selections of the A1U, the HD footage when down converted gives you better definition than the XL2. I remedied the lack of XLR by the acquisition of an XLR adapter and a better quality shotgun mike. An extended range battery is a must and also help with the camera balance and you HAVE to get the ubiquitous AC/DC battery charger. The main reason I acquired this camera was because my hand held cameras and the front heavy Canons where killing me in long takes. Some times tripods where not feasible and I had to use the dreaded camera mounts but they were also prohibited in some instances. At no time I got this camera because it “looked” professional. In my part time business I deal with people on a one on one basis and the professionalism is established by the way I conduct myself but, then again the looks of the camera do help.
The birthday shoot was a success, I’m in the process of editing the footage and so far it looks great. I wish this camera had A LOT of additions to facilitate my work, but then again, I’m not willing to pay the additional cost, so leave it the way it is.
I shot my 1st wedding in 1968 with a Bell and Howell 306, today I maintain the tradition of all amateurs: Within the limits of my budget, I make any camera work for my needs.

Hans Ledel January 28th, 2008 10:03 AM

Thank you

You are not an amateur at all.
You are a true PRO since you are actually working with what you have, and as a true Pro you are working within the gears limitation .

William Hohauser January 28th, 2008 04:52 PM

Just received the Sony Wide Angle adapter. A distinct improvement in shooting interviews in cramped situations. Only drawback so far, You can't use the lens hood and put the lens cap on at the same time. If someone would make a rubber lens cap to fit over the hood, all would be solved.

Sara Jourhmane January 28th, 2008 08:06 PM

Just out of curiosity, which function you folks have choosen for the manual ring?

William Hohauser January 28th, 2008 10:31 PM

Exposure mostly. Focus when the camera is having problems due to low light. I have been using the spot focus function with good success.

Tiago Cardoso January 29th, 2008 11:02 PM

Good to be here

Hi guys. I've been reading and learning from you the past week as I "found it" by chance. I'm from Brazil and I just got my HD1000U from B&H last friday. I shot a birthday party on saturday with nice results. Too good switching from a DV standard resolution HC96 handy (handy!) cam to the HD1000U.

I have to say I'm kind of shy as I read so many really professional talking around. But, well, I'll give it a shot and maybe at least get the conversation going about this good camera for the price.

I posted some clips of the party I shot over rapidshare. I think it's a good way to see what the camera does in real situations. Special clues about low light condition (clip number 4) and the Smooth Slow Recording feature. Well, you can see it without any compression, which I think it's great. Well, there it goes.

A. 480i
1. http://rapidshare.com/files/87368732...iente.avi.html
2. http://rapidshare.com/files/87368338...tural.avi.html
3. http://rapidshare.com/files/87367833...tural.avi.html
4. http://rapidshare.com/files/87394866...20dw2.avi.html

B. 1080i
1. http://rapidshare.com/files/87379799...iente.m2t.html
2. http://rapidshare.com/files/87380243...tural.m2t.html
3. http://rapidshare.com/files/87378840...tural.m2t.html
4. http://rapidshare.com/files/87393768...20dw2.m2t.html

Smooth Slow Rec: http://rapidshare.com/files/87394190...owrec.m2t.html

Thank you for everything I read so far. So good to learn with you guys. I'll come back soon.

Came back to edit this one just to add that clips 1 and 4 were made with the usage of a HVL-20DW2 sony light.

And also: sorry for my poor English - sometimes you'll have to guess what I wanted to say. :)

Tiago
Brasilia/DF
Brazil

Duane Steiner January 30th, 2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 816107)
Just received the Sony Wide Angle adapter. A distinct improvement in shooting interviews in cramped situations. Only drawback so far, You can't use the lens hood and put the lens cap on at the same time. If someone would make a rubber lens cap to fit over the hood, all would be solved.

What is the front thread size and overall diamater? If the size is the same as the Canon wide angle lens then this might be a good solution http://hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1754

Any idea how the quality of the Sony wide angle lens compares to the Canon WD-43 or Raynox 6600 Pro?

William Hohauser January 30th, 2008 09:37 PM

37mm thread.

I can say from experience that the Sony brand Wide Angle adapters are better on their cameras than most other brands.

Duane Steiner January 30th, 2008 09:48 PM

Thanks. But what are is the thread size of the front of the wide angle converter?

William Hohauser January 31st, 2008 04:51 PM

There are no threads on the front of the conversion lens. The poorly written instructions recommend not to put additional filters on it. You could probably use a clamp-on filter holder that fits 68 to 70mm lenses.

Jurgen Geevels February 6th, 2008 04:51 PM

I had to choose between an hd1000 (1800 euro) and a XM2 (2000 euro)
Okay the last one is smaller and doesn't look as fancy, and hasn't got HD, but I think the disadvantages stop there, am I right?

Duane Steiner February 8th, 2008 01:37 PM

I just got my HD1000. Never used a shoulder mount camera so it is something to get used to (any hints/suggestions would be great). Went out and did some quick test footage with everything set on auto http://www.everythinginhd.com/pages/sonyHD1000test.html. For looking at the footage it seems very similar to my Canon HV20. Also tried my Canon wide angle converter (WD-43) and it seems to work fine.

Asaf Benatia February 9th, 2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Steiner (Post 822755)
I just got my HD1000. Never used a shoulder mount camera so it is something to get used to (any hints/suggestions would be great). Went out and did some quick test footage with everything set on auto http://www.everythinginhd.com/pages/sonyHD1000test.html. For looking at the footage it seems very similar to my Canon HV20. Also tried my Canon wide angle converter (WD-43) and it seems to work fine.

Hi, Looks great!
can you please check what we all looking for? a brife shoot on a dance floor with a LED video light on camera or a 30-40w video light? and post the footage?