auto power off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Tourist

auto power off?

Hi,

Sorry for the mundane question. I am a brand new v1u owner and I can't seem to find the "auto power off" feature on this camera. Typically Sony has several options to save battery in the case you forget to manually turn off the camera. I have accidentally drained two batteries and am looking for a way to protect against doing it again. I've checked the camera menus, the manual, and this forum but am striking out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Grant
Grant Wiswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hmm, I don't think Sony has that feature on their small pro cameras. My VX-2000 does it, and it's a real annoyance because you can't defeat that function. My PDX-10 did not have this feature, and AFAIK my Z1 doesn't either. Maybe this is different on the V1, but if you couldn't find it in the menus my guess is it ain't there :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Guys,

In fact it does have that function in built... its on by default I think... not sure how to turn it off? But I left the cam on once in my bag and if turned itself off after a period of inactivity... saved the cam from overheating...

Kin
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wong Kin Ching View Post
Hi Guys,

In fact it does have that function in built... its on by default I think... not sure how to turn it off? But I left the cam on once in my bag and if turned itself off after a period of inactivity... saved the cam from overheating...

Kin
Kin, our experience seems to be different - I also left mine on in the bag overnight once, and when I opened it on the next day, the camera was still a little warm, and the battery completely drained. BTW, are you serious about 'overheating'?
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #5
New Boot

Mine is a V1P. Same thing, checked cam in morning to find that switch was on but no power to camera...

Had previous experience with a "warmer" PD 170 before... of course no overheating cases... Rental guys will always say its bad for the camera...

Anyway... I love my cam... Gives me the most gorgeous image & colors

Kin
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

OK Kin - I was silly enough to not realize you were kidding. Yep, I guess all cameras do have such a switch:)

Speaking of overheating: I was terrified at first to discover it was on inside the bag, but then I thought: it wasn't recording or playing back, just idling - a camera working for many hours under direct sunshine gets much more strain and heat, so no big deal!

But of course now I do check twice before putting it away...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7