Always limit of f4 for V1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Always limit of f4 for V1U?

Hello,
I know it's recommended to use a larger aperture such as F.4 when using small sensor cameras such as the V1U and Z1U, etc. Is there a time when using F.11, for example, would make sense?

I shot some video with my V1U the other day of the exterior of a large downtown hospital. I noticed a fair amount of fringing on the edge of the building against the blue / grey sky. I was shooting at 1/60th with the camera set to auto iris (using ND filter 1 or 2) with the camera iris limit set to F4. I wonder if on really bright days this is too big an opening when wanting to shoot at 1/60th?

Any thoughts on when one should / shouldn't go to F5.4, F11, etc.?

Thanks . . .

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Closing aperture too much will result not so much in fringing (attributable more to contrasty edges), but in diffraction demonstrating itself in image softening (lowering sharpness). Of course, in some circumstances (like extremely bright illumination, lack of additional ND filters, and priority of low shutter speed), you simply MUST close it beyond 5.6 (BTW it's 5.6 or 11, not 4, that you can limit it to in the menu for auto exposure operation).

I'm trying to never exceed 5.6, though - even at the cost of using shutter speeds as high as 1/300th, should need be. The adverse effect of such a fast shutter I checked to be much less serious than that of the iris closing far beyond 5.6 - the latter can make the image really soft!

PS. One of the reasons for closing aperture (apart form light limiting) has always been increasing DOF, but of course with such small chip cameras it's always deep enough - in fact, we're all trying to make it shallower, which again calls for aperture opening as much as possible...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; August 18th, 2007 at 03:24 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #3
Trustee

So if i was out shooting at the beach on a bright day and the camera called for f11 and ND filter 2, would i be better off increasing my shutter speed to open my iris to f4 -f5.6
Hope that makes sense.

Could you explain going soft a bit more with a high shutter speed?

Regards
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Simon,

The short answer to you first question (the bright beach) is yes. Engage ND2 and go up with the shutter speed as required, keeping aperture at mids (around 5.6).

Regarding the second question, I'm afraid you misunderstood: using high shutter speed does NOT cause image softening (closing aperture too much does). The only caveat of high shutter speed is the phenomenon called "strobing", but I really don't find it to spoil my shootings (it's more an aesthetic matter, a one of taste and picture "feel"). Yes, there are some who - due to the CMOS inherent 'rolling shutter" design - claim the 'rolling shutter effect" (slanted verticals with horizontal pans, if too fast) will occur with shutter speeds faster than 1/100th (I'm PAL, for NTSC it would be 1/120th); but again I haven't noticed it to be too pronounced (of course I'm trying to never pan too fast, for other obvious reasons).

Hope this helps.
Old August 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks,
Will do some tests and check it out.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #6

Without going into all the maths, the upshot is that F4 is ideal for the imager size relationship. If you wanna have a little fun and education at the same time, set up a rez chart and while keeping exposure equal, adjust the iris. You'll see the image start to soften as the aperture closes
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yep, F4 seems to be the "sweet spot" for the aperture on the V1.
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
So if i was out shooting at the beach on a bright day and the camera called for f11 and ND filter 2, would i be better off increasing my shutter speed to open my iris to f4 -f5.6
Also, keep some screw on ND filters to add. They are not too expensive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7