What is the difference between the V1U and V1E in progressive mode? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Spot, I did mention editing being much easier, with no pull-down removal stuff etc. However, the BD specs do not list 25p at all, and HD DVD - well, the only European model of the Toshiba player is still waiting for the promised firmware upgrade to enable 25p compatibility...
Remember when all the PAL claimed NTSC was screwed-up. Now the shoe is on the other foot. :) :)

It certainly looks that the FILM side of BD and HD DVD have decided that disc "movies" should be 24fps. This has three negatives:

1) in the USA the really big deal is BD and HD DVD shown at 72fps or 120fps. These numbers are chosen based on 24. Both BD and HD DVD must output 24p -- plus the display must support 72fps and 120fps. Do EURO displays support 60fps, 72fps, and 120fps OR 50fps and 100fps? If only 60fps, 72fps, and 120fps then the players will only need 24. Good luck waiting for 25p.

2) A question about BD and HD DVD when video is mixed with film. What happens to 50i video? This suggests that 25p will be supported eventually.

3) What happens to prosumer 25p video?

The fact Toshiba understood the need for 25p is a good sign. But, if no patch has come after a year -- then who knows when. And, BD has no 25p spec. Which means even if 1 or 2 BD players will play 25p, you can't count on ALL players doing so.

Moreover, it's possible cheap the burning software will reject 25p.

Yes, you may be "hosed" unless you slow 25p down to 24p.
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I wouldn't worry about the viewing devices - their European models (like the new Pioneer Kuro line) are compatible with both 25fps and 24fps formats (their multiple of 25/50 being 100 Hz, and that for 24 - 72 Hz).

However, 25p not being listed in the BD specification is more of a nasty surprise. Well - I guess the multitude of formats the new XDCAM EX cam will offer can be of much greater importance to European customers than anyone else!
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #18
Trustee

I wouldn't sweat too much over BD not supporting 25p, it's a doodle to convert 25p to 24p and the other way around as well. It came as pleasant surprise to one of my mates when they had to playout a 24p HDCAM SR tape, the deck didn't even blink, just played it out as 50i (well 25PsF to be technically correct).
As for mixing 24p and 50i on the one timeline, no a problem either, just converted a TVC for streaming that was done this way, shot on 35mm at 24fps, supers were added at 50i. Bit of pain having to de-interlace the "video" supers to get back to 25p but the original looked just fine when broadcast.
Of course a staggering amount of film was shot at 25fps, in PAL countries probably more of it than will ever be shot at 24fps. Back then it was just easier on the telecine I think, today we shoot at 24fps, probably saves a little on stock costs.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Lemme get this project off my table, I'll dig up some 25p V1 footage, and render as 25p for BD. I'll burn it and see if I can play it back. Just because there is no spec listed doesn't mean it won't work.
Meanwhile, anyone else with a BD burner and player is invited to do the same.
Render a sequence of frames with a different letter or number in each frame, and you'll be able to see if the player is managing any frame conversion.
I've never worried about 25p on HD delivery in the past, so haven't looked closely at whether this is a problem (for real, or just a missing bit of info).
Spot, did you find some time for the promised experiment - the result would be invaluable to me...
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #20

it plays 25p; whether it's converting to 24p or actually 25p is beyond my ability to ascertain right now. I only burned a 3 minute loop.
When I get a massive project off my plate, I'll take a deeper look at it. It's not of importance to me, so it's gonna have to sit at the far back of the bus for a while.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
it plays 25p; whether it's converting to 24p or actually 25p is beyond my ability to ascertain right now. I only burned a 3 minute loop.
When I get a massive project off my plate, I'll take a deeper look at it. It's not of importance to me, so it's gonna have to sit at the far back of the bus for a while.
Thanks anyway - appreciated!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7