How are the noise levels on this camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to spark a debate about low-light capabilities.

Since HDV cameras all need supplemental light in dim situations, we need to deal with that unfortunate reality. I think that once a camera is not as sensitive as something like the PD170, creative lighting technique may be the only answer to getting decent video with HDV.

BTW, I use the V1 which has an extra trick up it's sleeve for low-light shooting so I may be biased a bit. With progressive recording, 1/30th shutter can be used without reducing framerate. This extra f-stop of exposure may actually make the V1 equal to or slightly surpass the FX1 in low light. It's really hard to say which would be better as the V1 has gain noise very different from the FX1/Z1.
Marcus I 100% agree with you about the V1 having a extra trick up it's sleeve and may perform even better than the fx1 with the slower shutter and changed frame rate. For those in my situation with this cam we don't have that option.I just wish the fx7 was the same but it's not. It just doesn't perform as nice as my fx1 with the same 20watt light and diffuser. I've been contemplating the new sony light and hopefully once I get it, it should help out quite a bit. Take Care and thanks for your insight.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #17
Trustee

First, back to the original topic for a moment. I think what I would say strictly about the noise levels on the FX7/V1 is that the amount of noise is comparable at 0db to any other quality camera - meaning almost no noise. When the gain is turned up, things change quite a bit. The CMOS cameras have a very different "look" to their noise whose quality must be judged by the individual. I don't mind it's look and I like the fact that the CMOS retains so much color when the gain is used.

Back to a FX1/Z1 and FX7/Z1 in low light comparison:

I think we are all correct. For a wedding videographer like Vaughn, an FX7 AND and FX1 are probably a great combination. I like the FX1 but I think the CMOS chips have better color in good light. An FX7 along side the FX1 during the day for the ceremony would be a great combination as they are not too dissimilar. I would use the FX7 to get shots where color is going to be a primary feature (for instance, in a garden/beach setting with flowers, water, and sky). At the reception, it is often easy enough to shoot it all with one camera so the FX1 with the HVL-LBP would step in. The FX7 could be used as a second camera in a more formal situation where there is a lit podium for speeches.

Still, if I could only have one camera for all my tasks, I would choose the V1. It is more expensive but the progressive 1/30th shutter trick helps in low light and I love it's daytime image more than anything but a Varicam or F900.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7