Sony HDR-FX7 versus Canon GL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony HDR-FX7 versus Canon GL-2

I'm interested in comparisons between the Sony HDR-FX7 and the Canon GL-2. I currently have a GL-2, but am interested in switching to HDV. I'm looking for real-world opinions as to how they compare in terms of image, audio, etc. - both at auto settings and with tweaking the settings. In terms of image, I'd like to know how the SD images compare between the two - just in case I continue to shoot some SD until I learn HD.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have an XL1s and shot a play with a Z1... not the perfect comparison, but maybe a bit handy for you.

I love my XL1s, I love where the buttons are placed and I love the look it produces.

I shot with the Sony in HDV, and I was pretty overwhelmed:
very nice saturated colours.
you good low light.
very good mic also, used the standard mic for capturing the complete play, not a single audio problem.
good LCD.

and, in comparison with the XL1s, much more detail.

Con's of the sony:
I don't like where the buttons are placed, I don't like having it in my hands.
Still love my XL1s.
Z1 (and FX1) doesn't have a good frame mode or 24p or 25p, like the GL2 has.
The sony version really is bad at this.

You do have XLR on the Sony too...

So in short: I still like my XL1s and love it and use it.
The Z1 wasn't my camera, so I can't shoot with it whenever I want.
But I think, for many options, it would be my preference.
The look you get afterwards, in SD, after downconverting from HDV, is really clean and sharp.

You do get HDV compression issues sometimes, like when I cut a trailer from the play in HDV, and I had a piece that went over in slow motion.
You saw a little thing in the movement that wasn't correct...

Try the camera's, see if they make you comfortable.
Why no XH A1 though?
It's in the same price league (more or less), has the same controls as the GL2, and more features...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Major Player

The FX7 is $2,500, whereas the XH-A1 is $3,500 (before the $250 discount). Unfortunately, that's a big enough difference given my budget. I would absolutely prefer the XH-A1 if I could afford it.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Owkay, didn't know the price difference was that big.

The FX7 is a bit different then an FX1 or a Z1, so I'll wont comment any further, because I haven't worked with it, so I'll let more experienced people talk about it.
Good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
I'm interested in comparisons between the Sony HDR-FX7 and the Canon GL-2. I currently have a GL-2, but am interested in switching to HDV. I'm looking for real-world opinions as to how they compare in terms of image, audio, etc. - both at auto settings and with tweaking the settings. In terms of image, I'd like to know how the SD images compare between the two - just in case I continue to shoot some SD until I learn HD.

I too, am looking to switch to HD and have a GL-2 and was looking at the FX-7 for HD. I would like to hear what people think of the FX-7. I know that Sony is putting out a new "PRO" camera for around $1900.00 but I have read that it is not so good. Any way I think the FX-7 maybe the best HD camera for the money right now. Any other new $2000 class cameras coming out? Thanks, and by the way one of the best site for info on cameras!
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Williams View Post
I know that Sony is putting out a new "PRO" camera for around $1900.00 but I have read that it is not so good.
Really? Can you point me (us) to a source of this info?

Thanks and sorry for the slight detour of this thread.

Allen
Allen Mitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102492

In the industry news section of this forum.

I have an FX7, and if you're shooting outside, it can show a beautiful picture,

Inside, in low light, it really struggles.

I'm a event videographer, weddings and dance concerts, so I can't set up every shot for lighting etc, and now much prefer my FX 1 for my jobs as I wait for the PMW-EX1. (The FX 7 has become my dubbing deck and 2nd camera).

It will depend on what you are doing with it.
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Here's another discussion link:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=101903

Basically it's an HC7 in a very nice body. Nothing wrong with that but don't expect the manual control of an FX7.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102492

In the industry news section of this forum.

I have an FX7, and if you're shooting outside, it can show a beautiful picture,

Inside, in low light, it really struggles.

I'm a event videographer, weddings and dance concerts, so I can't set up every shot for lighting etc, and now much prefer my FX 1 for my jobs as I wait for the PMW-EX1. (The FX 7 has become my dubbing deck and 2nd camera).

It will depend on what you are doing with it.
Inside, in low light, do you know how the FX7 compares to the GL-2? How about to the XH-A1?
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Think I've read that you lose about a stop to the XH-A1.

It's a very clean image so you can work with it in post, but I'm much happier with my FX1.

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #11
Major Player

If the FX 7 is in your budget, then absolutely get it. You will not lose anything; you will gain high definition. Yes, low light performance is not the best; however, it's better than your GL 2. The GL 2 also does not have 24p. It has 30p on the U.S. model and possibly 25p in pal land. Unless you have the MA 300 adapter, you do not have XLR connectors on the GL 2 for professional audio equipment; whereas, on the FX 7, you do. The biggest advantage is you have high definition video as well as standard definition, and the standard definition between the two cameras looks similar except, in my opinion, the FX 7 (actually I tested a V1U the bigger brother) has richer colors.

Thus, I would first recommend the V1U or the Canon A1, but you already said those cameras were out of your budget range, so next I recommend the FX 7. If you want to go cheaper, the HV20 (which has 24p) or the HC7 are not bad choices. However, those two consumer cameras don't give you all the professional controls that the FX 7 gives you (most notable control over gain). Good luck on your choice.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #12
Trustee

The FX7 does not have progressive scan or XLR connectors like the V1. Those are the primary differences between the models. That, and about a thousand dollars.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
If the FX 7 is in your budget, then absolutely get it. You will not lose anything; you will gain high definition. Yes, low light performance is not the best; however, it's better than your GL 2. The GL 2 also does not have 24p. It has 30p on the U.S. model and possibly 25p in pal land. Unless you have the MA 300 adapter, you do not have XLR connectors on the GL 2 for professional audio equipment; whereas, on the FX 7, you do. The biggest advantage is you have high definition video as well as standard definition, and the standard definition between the two cameras looks similar except, in my opinion, the FX 7 (actually I tested a V1U the bigger brother) has richer colors.

Thus, I would first recommend the V1U or the Canon A1, but you already said those cameras were out of your budget range, so next I recommend the FX 7. If you want to go cheaper, the HV20 (which has 24p) or the HC7 are not bad choices. However, those two consumer cameras don't give you all the professional controls that the FX 7 gives you (most notable control over gain). Good luck on your choice.
Hi there,

A few things are not quite true here... First of all: you do not get XLR with the FX7, you only have a 1/8 plug exactly like the GL2 (or the FX1 for that matter). Second, the GL2 doesn t have 25P(XM2 PAL) or 30P(NTSC)... it's only a 'frame mode' which is definitely nice on it own,...but still not a real progressive capture (you are losing resolution in that mode).

That said,... i have sell my GL2 a few month back and i have bought an HC1 a few days ago and even that little HDV kid is, in my opinion, better than the GL2.

I might go the FX7 route eventually... but you get my point : don't even consider the GL2 in comparison to the FX7, the latter win hands down.
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #14
Major Player

I actually haven't had my hands on an FX 7; I tested a V1U. I thought the FX 7 had XLRs also... my bad. Still, I think I got my point across that the FX 7 is an upgrade to the GL 2.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7