DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1U Picture Profiles / Presets (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/109478-v1u-picture-profiles-presets.html)

Chris Hurd December 30th, 2006 06:35 PM

V1U Picture Profiles / Presets

Those of you who have the V1, can y'all help me get squared away on the Camera Profiles feature please. The owner's manual is a little vague... on page 89 all it says is "the items that can be saved in the camera profile are set values of the menu, picture profiles and the buttons."

So I take that to mean that you can have 22 separate camera profiles... two in the camera and 20 more on the Memory stick... each of which can include specific menu settings, picture profile options, and user-assignable button settings.

Where I'm confused is with regard to the picture profiles. Each picture profile allows for control of these ten parameters: Color Level, Color Phase, Sharpness, Skin Detail, Skin Level, WB Shift, Knee Point, Black, CinemaTone Gamma and CinemaTone Color. There are six Picture Profile settings, or slots, in the camera. Four of them are pre-configured (portrait, cinema, sunset, monotone), and two of them are open for the user to assign as desired.

Are those six separate Picture Profile slots available in each of the Camera Profile slots? If so, then does that mean that you could have a total of 132 Picture Profiles available, with six in each of the two Camera Profiles onboard plus six in each of the 20 additional Camera Profiles stored on the memory stick?

Zsolt Gordos February 1st, 2007 03:39 PM

Post V1U settings (picture profile / camera profile) here

I think it would be a good idea to upload saved setting files (picture profiles or camera profiles) from Memory Sticks along with the description and/or a photo of the scene it is useful for - to share with other users.

Anyone has some good profiles to share? I have seen similar thing in the Canon A1 forum.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 04:19 PM

Merged with my earlier, similar thread from Dec. 30th. I'll start a download library similar to what I did in the Canon XH forum if there are enough responses.

Max Volki February 2nd, 2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Merged with my earlier, similar thread from Dec. 30th. I'll start a download library similar to what I did in the Canon XH forum if there are enough responses.

Chris, yes please

If necessary in separate directory’s for V1E, V1P, V1U ??

As my camera is not deliverable in the next days / weeks, (V1E), I can’t help, myself.

volki

John Hewat February 2nd, 2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Definitely keen!

Chris Hurd February 2nd, 2007 08:32 PM

I just need to know the file extension so I can tell the forum software to allow them for uploading...

Max Volki February 3rd, 2007 06:06 AM

Quote:

I just need to know the file extension so I can tell the forum software to allow them for uploading...

What type did you use in the Canon XH-forum?

Or what type would you suggest?

volki

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2007 06:16 AM

Chris, how about changing the Canon's to .ccp (Canon Custom Preset), and naming the Sony's .scp (Sony Custom Preset)?

Zsolt Gordos February 3rd, 2007 07:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Piotr,

I dont think it will work the way you suggest. The extension for the V1E seems to be .DAT

Here are some screen grabs of the folders in my memory stick.

folder1.jpg shows the main folder where DCIM contains the still shots if you take any.
In MSSONY folder you can find HVR-V1E folder and there are the camera and picture profiles as .DAT files.
Unfortunately I cannot differentiate which is picture profile and camera profile, I have seved both and gave names as well, but apparently they were saved only as .DAT

Anyone here with an idea how to save the settings more usable?

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2007 04:38 PM

I guess you're right Zsolt; with Sony expecting .DAT and Canon - .CPF types of files, naming them differently just for uploading purposes wouldn't make sense at all;)

Craig Irving February 4th, 2007 07:34 AM

How big are these files typically? I suppose a 256 meg stick is sufficient?

Zsolt Gordos February 4th, 2007 07:42 PM

Changing pre-set picture profiles?

Is here anyone who tried to change the settings of the preconfigured picture profiles (not only the last 2)
I assume if this can be done, one may come up with 6 custom tailored picture profiles, make them as a "copy" and save them on the mem stick - allowing to have them recalled in situations where they are needed, while the factory settings still would remain.

It would be great if an expert with deeper insight of the V1 would test this and post experience as a step by step instruction.

Thanks

Steve Mullen February 4th, 2007 11:18 PM

I think I simply copied the the Video and Cine to the slots I wanted. Then I made variations to these base settings. I wound-up with 3 Video and 3 Cine. Then I assigned the 6 to the 6 buttons. This revealed a weakness to the V1's design. If you close the LCD, you can't access 3 of the buttons. :(

I never assumed I couldn't do this.

There's really nothing magic about any of the settings. The only thing not obvious is Sharpness and Color Level. Which is why I copied the Video and Cine settings.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 4th, 2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Is here anyone who tried to change the settings of the preconfigured picture profiles (not only the last 2)
I assume if this can be done, one may come up with 6 custom tailored picture profiles, make them as a "copy" and save them on the mem stick - allowing to have them recalled in situations where they are needed, while the factory settings still would remain.

It would be great if an expert with deeper insight of the V1 would test this and post experience as a step by step instruction.

Thanks

It's easy to change them out, save them, recall/reload/archive them. I think I've got around 20 saved off now, between a few shoots.

Zsolt Gordos February 5th, 2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Then I made variations to these base settings. I wound-up with 3 Video and 3 Cine.

Thanks! Do you mind sharing your settings for various situations? I cant wait until your book will go to print...

Zsolt Gordos February 5th, 2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I think I've got around 20 saved off now, between a few shoots.

Thank you DSE. Could you please share some of them? I cant find such details in your DVD, I think it was released before these fine tuning options have been tried out.

Zsolt Gordos February 6th, 2007 11:36 AM

No picture profiles yet...

Zsolt Gordos February 11th, 2007 09:35 PM

Upz, upz !

I am sure there are tons of ppl looking for picture profiles usable in various situations.
I urge experts to share their knowledge and help. If it works for Canon, must work for V1 as well. I cant see why Sony users shall be any different from Canon users.

To start with, I share here some of my settings, hope it will help. It seems camera profiles can only be seen in my Memory Stick, so I cannot post the picture profiles as files. However I hope later someone will find out how to do it.

So, here is my setting for night shots. (I am not in the position now to post clips to illustrate, as travelling at the moment).

Color level: 3
Color phase 0
Sharpness 7
Skintone DTL type 1
Skintone level 3
WB shift 0
Knee point low
BLK Compensation Compress
Cinematone Gamma off
Cinematone color on

With this I use 25 frames and 6dB gain for pretty OK night shots of city sceneries.
I will appriciate even challenging comments if any details of my setting don't make sense.

And awaiting more picture profiles, folks.

Max Volki February 12th, 2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
So, here is my setting for night shots. (I am not in the position now to post clips to illustrate, as travelling at the moment).
Color level: 3
Color phase 0
Sharpness 7
Skintone DTL type 1
Skintone level 3
WB shift 0
Knee point low
BLK Compensation Compress
Cinematone Gamma off
Cinematone color on
With this I use 25 frames and 6dB gain for pretty OK night shots of city sceneries.
And awaiting more picture profiles, folks.

Zsolt

At the moment I'm a bit short of time and the V1E is all new to me.

Would you share your "standard day settings" with me?

Or are the factory-settings, with the exception of sharpness (from 7 to 3), alright for the first tryout?

volki

Craig Irving March 27th, 2007 11:51 AM

V1U Memory Stick Profile Settings

I remember there was some talk about us all sharing our V1U Profile Settings and storing them somewhere...did anything ever happen with this? I thought it was a great idea.

Zsolt Gordos March 27th, 2007 01:05 PM

Yes, I have started a thread and it was closed down (or merged) by Chris, saying he has started similar thread.
well, you can see the posts here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ure+profile+V1

No one has posted any useful set of settings or profiles yet....

It would be great to know what works well in certain shooting situations.

Keith Johnston April 21st, 2007 11:20 PM

HV1u look up table profiles? where are they?

Hey all, so the option to download different picture presets to a memory stick on the HVR-V1u
Obviously this is someone else tweaking what anyone can tweak but hey why not?

I just cant find ANY OF THEM!

Is there some private secret user group or something?

I use all apple if that is an issue of "downloading" a file

yet I do have USB adapters for various sized memory sticks

thanks if anyone knows!

John Hewat April 22nd, 2007 01:51 AM

I'd like to reciprocate - I've been looking for some too but am out of luck.

I've fiddled with the Cinema setting a little but have nowhere near enough skill or understanding to know I've got it right. I'd love to be able to share and exchange with others on these boards.

Seth Bloombaum May 21st, 2007 10:35 PM

Another picture profile

I had my V1 on a video engineer's test bench today. Looking at the scopes, here's what he liked. I've not had a chance to shoot with them.

Color Level: +3
Color Phase: +1
Sharpness: 2
Skintone Detail: Off (factory setting)
Skintone Level: 6 (factory setting)
White Balance Shift: 0
Knee Point: Low
Black Compensation: Off
Cinematone Gamma: Off
Cinematone Color: On

Bo Smith July 5th, 2007 09:21 AM

Is it possible to save different frame rates to different presets?

EX:

Preset 1: Settings+24P
Preset 2: Settings+30P
Preset 3: Settings+60i
etc...

Piotr Wozniacki July 5th, 2007 09:24 AM

To camera profiles, yes.

Bo Smith July 5th, 2007 09:57 AM

Which can then be set to the first 3 ASSIGN buttons, right?

Piotr Wozniacki July 5th, 2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Smith (Post 707444)
Which can then be set to the first 3 ASSIGN buttons, right?

Unfortunately not quite - only Picture Profiles can be assigned to any button 1-6.

Chris Hurd July 5th, 2007 10:09 AM

Just wanted to re-iterate that I'm more than happy to host downloadable profiles for V1 owners... we've had pretty good success with maintaining scene file libraries from Canon XL and XH owners as well as JVC Pro HD owners. I'd love to offer the same thing to Sony V1 folks as well. Hopefully you guys will share your presets... thanks in advance,

Piotr Wozniacki July 5th, 2007 10:36 AM

After having tested the XH A1 for a couple of weeks and using presets a lot with it, now that I got accustomed to the V1 I believe there really is no need to bother with presets, unless there is more than one user, and each wants to be able to revert quickly to his own settings. I mean, entering all changes the shooting situation requires can be much faster that loading a camera profile, which always reboots the machine!

Another situation when using presets could be beneficial is the very same shooting/delivering parameter set, repeating on a regular basis, and tested so thoroughly that a custom preset is 100% sure to be the best one to use...

Alnoor Dewshi October 2nd, 2007 07:45 PM

Picture Profiles to Memory Stick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 619373)
It's easy to change them out, save them, recall/reload/archive them. I think I've got around 20 saved off now, between a few shoots.

Spot, please clarify; Are you saving individual picture profiles to the memory stick? Or are you saving six at a time as a specification of a camera profile?

I can't find in the menu or manual an option to save just a picture profile to memory stick.

Many thanks.

Hugh Mobley October 2nd, 2007 09:32 PM

I change them at will, just reset back to default, they are reset.I have spent hours and hours on taping minor changes to each, actually the factor defaults are pretty good as far as I can see. Heres one a friend gave me, he got it from someone who shoots for Discovery or something like that, its fairly saturated
color level 5
color phase 4
sharp 13
skintone type 2
skin lvl 4
wb 0
knee auto
blk stretch
cine tone type 1
cinetone color on

Mike Cassidy October 17th, 2007 02:58 PM

Matching Z1 and V1 picture profiles.

Hi, I've to do a shoot next week, with a Z1 and a V1 in PAL. MyZ1 prefered settings are:
Color Level+2
Color Phase 0
Shaprness 12
Skintone DTL Off
Skintone LVL Middle
AE Shift -2
AGC Limit 6dbs.
AT Iris LMT. f11
WB Shift +4
ATW Sens Middle
Black off
Cinemat. off
Cineframe off.

Know it's a long shot, but can anyone suggest, a Preset for the V1 which will give me less hassle in post production? Manual white balancing of course.Thought it was worth asking anyway!
Cheers, Mike.

Dave Morgan November 10th, 2007 06:03 AM

v1u picture profiles do you use them?

i like the look of the cinema picture profile on my v1u and usually shoot with that. is that something is should not use, and worry about that in post?

Dave Morgan December 4th, 2007 01:46 AM

v1u picture profiles

i like the look of the cinema profile. but should i not use it, and worry about the looks in post? im going to be shooting a music video, and just wanted opinions on to use it or not.

thanks

Robert Young December 4th, 2007 12:18 PM

I use the Cinegamma 1 plus Cinecolor settings for bright daylight outdoor scenes, particullarly any shots of ocean/coastline, etc. It's a very distinctive, saturated look that I like.
I will say that if I intercut shots from a camera that doesnt have those settings, it can be tricky to get them to match in post.
In lighting that is less than splendid bright outdoor light these settings seem to crush the blacks a bit, so I don't use them universally.
It might be worthwhile to do some test shots before committing yourself.

Hugh Mobley December 4th, 2007 02:14 PM

I use all 6 and keep changing 5 and 6 to suit me, each one has a use as far as I am concerned, The Sony defaults are real good, but I like a saturated effect to reduce doing it in V8. I spend many hours trying different settings and have tried to narrow it down to what I use now.

John Greco January 12th, 2008 10:04 AM

V1U Presets

Perhaps a silly question, but does anyone wish to share any presets with the community?

We are getting ready to shoot a segment which involves R/C Helicopters, and its literally like chasing a dragonfly in the air with fast tele/wide and rapid focus dynamics.

Not real sure how to approach this one, although I plan on practicing a bunch before the event.

If anyone has a action-sports preset they wanna share (hint-hint), let me know.

Thanks guys.

Hugh Mobley January 12th, 2008 01:38 PM

I will share mine, I got them from someone, this is the one I like the best, saturated like discovery, a friend got it from someone who said they shot for discovery,
color +3
color phase 0
sharp 12
skintone type 1
skintone lvl 3
wb 0
knee auto
blk compress
cinematone type 2
cinematone color on

try it you can always change it I use in profile 6

Craig Irving January 12th, 2008 02:30 PM

Steve Mullen has a bunch laid out in his book. Those are the ones I've chosen to program in and I've been happy with them.