Anyone capturing to Apple ProRes 422 codec format? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
I will now log using ProRes HQ and standard.
Please let us know the results of your tests.
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #17
Tourist

Interestingly enough, the files as captured from the camera take up a lot more space than they should. A finished feature film (86 minutes) in ProRes occupies about 17 gigs of hard drive space, yet a 50 minute tape captured from the V1U camera in ProRes eats up over 30 gigs... which makes me wonder if there are actually TWO files being captured and one is invisible since the capture tape playback ends long before the "processing" of the frames is over (which runs about double, while lagging behind the camera at about 60%).

Question is where do these invisible files reside and how do you get rid of them after the frame processing is done?
Fred Olen Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Actually on my test I get roughly 40 Gigs for 45 minutes, but I am testing both HQ and Standard. Is'nt ProRes via compressor a different flavor - more heavily compressed maybe, and thats where you get the 17 Gigs?
I did not notice much difference between them, which I expected capturing from HDV. On a regular HDV clip, I had used some very heavy noise and film grain effects, so I added these to the same clip recaptured in standard ProRes. The ProRes clip looked better with the same grain filters - to my eyes, especially in movement and pans.
The render time is faster in the ProRes - not a huge difference.

I wonder if its testing this: recompressing 1080i60 into ProRes via media manager - then check the files size?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7