Dear Sony Claus- My Christmas Wishes for Successor HD Camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Sony Claus did okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Dear Sony Claus:

I’m 55 years old, Sony Claus, and, you know, there are a lot of insecurities that go with that age. So my camera is kind of my symbol, if you know what I mean....

So last year, you brought me an FX1, and I was so elated. So I feel so bad about asking you for something more this year, but you know, these Canon people are making my head spin. 3 new HDV cameras in the last week or so, and pretty amazing too !!!

So Sony Claus, I’ve always believed in you, so here is what I want for Christmas this year:

--A successor the the Z1/FX1 line with a bit better light gathering capability (1 lux is fine) and an even cleaner image.. Does that mean 3 CMOS technology, or what, I leave that to you.

– that successor needs variable frame rates and progressive capability– even 1080 P ??? And how about 120 FPS for slowmotion

– how about a 25 x zoom

– interchangeable lens capability. There is only so much you can do with adapters.

- as part of that interchangeable lens capability, how about designing a one piece adapter that can be used in place of the prime lens to create a relay lens system to give us more control of
depth of field.

– leave the tape transport system, but why not have some kind of slot that will take a small laptop disk drive so we can record to “tapeless” simultaneously. (I know, your elves may have to design a drive, but I sure would like it to be fairly generic so I could use as many as I want.) That way I will have my archive material already on tape, and the disk will be usable immediately for editing, dailies, etc.

Now Sony Claus, I am sure other will have additional wishes, but this is a good start...
Sony Claus did come did my list get fulfilled ? Have a look at the V1U:

1. Better light gathering-- at 4 lux, probably not....

2. V1U has 24p and 30p, and so far, and if my understanding is right, it is 1080.

3. V1U has 20 x optical, and up to 30 with some sort of Digital zoom. DSE reports he was skeptical, and amazed after seeing.

4. Interchangeable lens: Haven't sean a release on the lens housing yet...But video from the fixed lens looks pretty good so far!!

5. Relay for 35mm adapters. Well, kind of a pipe dream anyway...

6. We got a new tapeless system that leaves Tape transport in. And it uses same Sony batteries... 60 gigs. Maybe from there we get to abilty to swap drives for endless shooting....

All in all, Sony Claus was pretty good for Christmas... and in time for Christmas too !
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM   #17
Major Player

Very very nice of them. But for my birthday maybe they can have a hard drive that allows for a smaller compression rate. I'd take two hours of great compression over 4.5 hours of standard HDV. But yes thankyou Sony Claus
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM   #18

Dear Chris,
Don't discount the sensitivity til you see footage.
Interchangeable lenses for the most part have been a failure in HDV cameras due to cost of "real" glass. Glass designed to work in concert with specific sensors has been the winner of the day, or so the elves seem to feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
Very very nice of them. But for my birthday maybe they can have a hard drive that allows for a smaller compression rate. I'd take two hours of great compression over 4.5 hours of standard HDV. But yes thankyou Sony Claus
Dearest Betsy, I did that too, it's called AVCHD. It's made for soccer moms and recreational shooting. Someday, it will grow up to become a bigger toy, but for now, you're just not ready for it.
Mrs Claus demanded that the new progressive modes be full resolution progressive, so she bought 1080. More costly, but it's because Sony Clause loves ya.
She also wanted a lens with which she could see me coming from a long ways off (she thinks I've been having an affair with the Tooth Fairy), so she ordered an 1100mm equivalent zoom on this camera. She can pick out the tobacco stains on my beard with that feature. Tooth fairy doesn't like that feature much.
I'm kinda peeved about the tapeless, because I'm at a loss as to what should go in your stocking this year. Tapes were small, inexpensive, and they are just so darn cute. You sure you don't want to record to both HDD and tape, so you've got an instant archive AS WELL as a drop-out proof HDD storage device for instant editing? I think you'd like that? Now you can record for hours and hours without stopping every 60 minutes to change tape, you don't have to capture, but you still have a physical archive in case of HDD failure.
On top of that, we'll give you timelapse, super sweet super slo-mo, Picture Profiles with approximately 1000 combinations including new blacks management/lo gamma control, Film-matched Look Up Table, Histogram/Peaking/Zebra all on at once. If you're really good we'll throw in a choice of showing just video on your external video village monitor or allow you to show everything/all settings on your external monitor. And to make it more fun to play with your friends, we'll include a timecode sync so you and your buddies can have your camcorders all behaving the same way at the same time. And...the VASST Faery is offering some free film looks for download on their website. Did you know the camera can store more than 20 profiles and filmlooks customized just for you? You can share and exchange them with your friends. That's what this camera is all about, making friends and sharing so you all play nicely together. Kind of like how I'm friends with the Tooth Fairy.
Now run a long, and tomorrow, wake up with the words "Vee-One" on your lips. Victory One! Hickory Victory Dock, our HD now has a new clock, 24p and 30p just for me, and 60i for you. All at full resolution of 1920 x 1080 at the sensor, with 4:2:2 internal processing.
Sweet dreams,

Sony Clause.

BTW, don't trust what DSE says, he doesn't believe in fairys or Sony Clause. He's a humbug. But he likes HDV, so maybe Sony Clause will leave him some last-year's tradeshow swag....(now where did I put those really nice Sony bottle openers?)
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I'll take one of those bottle openers... was just looking for one.....
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:17 AM   #20
Major Player

Were any of those pixels made of chocolate? Only I think Mrs Claus may have eaten a few, and then shifted the remaining chocolates along to hide the gaps.

"wake up with the words "Vee-One" on your lips"

For the first time since the second world war....
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM   #21
Wrangler

Thanks Sony Claus! You'll fiind the milk and cookies on the table next to the fireplace. You can just leave the camera next to the tree, don't bother to wrap it.

:-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7