Sony HDR-FX7 is out!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 7th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #16
Major Player

Now they need to come out with a deck that has outputs that are worth a darn(the 15 and the 25 are a step forward but still kids toys) or a camera that shoots the big HDV tapes. How about a Z17U which has XLR connectors a 20 by zoom, shoots big HDV tapes and a deck similar to the DSR30. Come on Sony you produce a DVcam size HDV tape give us a way to aquire footage on them(a camera) with a serious 4by4 truck type deck, our editors are begging for it.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Looks like the FX7 adds still photo recording which can be activated while the video is running, and something about a 'super slo-mo mode' which records 240 fields per second for up to 24 seconds. Plus an HDMI output for easier connection to an HDTV, which is a big improvement compared to what you have to do with previous HDV cameras. I wish I'd known this was coming last year because I could use the 20X zoom lens, but I don't think I'll be trading in either of my FX1s for one of these just yet.

Overall this looks like an attempt to make the FX1 more suitable for 'Uncle Charlie' videographers, who will appreciate the photo mode and other such features. With my HC1 I enjoy being able to capture a still photo while recording video.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #18
Major Player

Bah. I own an FX1 and bought it when they just came out. It's a great machine and has lasted well for almost 2 years now. So far, the only camera being released that looks like an all around improvement on that design for that price point is the Canon XH-A1.

No progressive modes at all? Faked or otherwise? Sheesh.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

Steve,

Keep in mind, Canon isn't offering progressive either, just 24f and 30f. Also, everyone, remember that the FX series is consumer, not pro. This is just the next generation of higher-end Sony consumer HDV cameras.

I for one am excited--3 CMOS is very cool!

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #20
Major Player

Double bah. The bottom line is that workflow with the 24F, 30F, or even CF30 and CF24 is the same as the workflow for progressive imagery. All the "P" means is that the vertical resolution may be somewhat compromised. Considering Panasonic claims a "P" by using 1/4 resolution CCDs and 2/3 resolution codecs, CF/F/P means nothing except for the fact that images are not interlaced wwhen recorded.

I have used CF30 and CF24 on my FX1 to great success, and appreciate the tremendous conveinence and workflow improvements. Anyone who says "you can always deinterlace the 1080i to 1080p" clearly has too much time on there hands, and likes spending literally tens of hours waiting for their computer to crunch through the data for almost neglibible* improvements in image quality.

I'm not particularly interested in a "consumer vs pro" argument. Some cameras have features, others don't. Canon is offering more features at the same price point.

-Steve

*unless of course, the camera is completely static and nothing is moving... which, could be better simulated with a still camera ;)
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #21
Major Player

lux rating is 8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Livingston
Basic specs:
3x CMOS 960x1080 Sensors (60i only, no mention of any Cineframe modes)
8lux at 1/60
20X Optical Zoom (37.4~748mm 35mm equiv, f1.6-2.8)
3.5" LCD with 211k pixels, 1.6x the contrast/saturation of FX1
40% smaller and 25% lighter than FX1 (1.4kg vs 1.9kg)
4x Slow-motion shoot (240 fields/sec taken for 6sec and replayed over 24sec)
Picture profiles (up to 6), HDMI output
The lux rating is 8 ???!!! Am I reading that right? That's horrible! How can they call this a replacement for the VX2100??
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
The lux rating is 8 ???!!! Am I reading that right? That's horrible! How can they call this a replacement for the VX2100??
Japan for some reason has a different way of quoting the lux rating, rest of the world should = 4 to 5
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #23
Major Player

Now I'm reading on camcorderinfo.com that the lux rating is a 4, which is a step down from the FX1 -- and the FX1 was at least two stops slower than a PD-170. Who is going to buy this new camera??

From camcorderinfo.com: "Additionally, Canon's XH A1 features many advanced manual controls specifically targeting filmakers. While the FX7 is very close in price, only $500 less at $3,500, it makes no attempt to compete with Canon in the indie market. Rather, it appears that Sony is plainly attempting to compete on price and portability for the news and event videography crowd."

Well I've got news for Sony: if the lowlight ability is as bad as it sounds, targeting event videographers was a HUGE miscalculation. One of the biggest reasons the PD and VX lines were successes was their industry-leading lowlight abilities, essential for wedding and event videographers. To take a step back is a remarkably bad idea.

Looks to me like everyone will be going with the Canon line, or sticking with the FX1 and Z1. Very disappointing.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
Now I'm reading on camcorderinfo.com that the lux rating is a 4, which is a step down from the FX1 -- and the FX1 was at least two stops slower than a PD-170. Who is going to buy this new camera??...............................
Looks to me like everyone will be going with the Canon line, or sticking with the FX1 and Z1. Very disappointing.
Reading Camcorderinfo's article I saw 2 points of interest.... "it is not a replacement for the FX-1"

Also the comparison chart has at least one mistake. The lens size is listed as 72mm for the FX7 and 60mm for the FX-1. It is just the opposite,

Let the dust settle before getting too excited.

But, yes, it is interesting for anyone who has not yet entered the world of HD.
But nothing for FX-1 or Z1 owners to feel disappointed about.... that they didn't wait.

The fact still remains that there is NO replacement on the horizon for the Z1 (or the FX1 for that matter)
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

It's consumer, and a great one at that. Saying the FX7 is in competition with the Canon is ridiculous.

I love the Z1, it's still a solid camera.

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
It's consumer, and a great one at that. Saying the FX7 is in competition with the Canon is ridiculous.

I love the Z1, it's still a solid camera.

heath
Saying that this camera is "consumer" is hardly a defense for it's lack of reasonable features. Oh, and a little reminder... it MSRP's for $3500!!! Little pricey for a feature-lacking "consumer" camera.
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

I'm not defending it, I'm explaining it's consumer. If Sony's Consumer arm to making a camera, I'm sure it's going to be more consumer-oriented. This camera, though $3500 (in Japan, there's been NO announcement for the USA as far as I can tell), seems to follow in the steps of the HC3--more user-friendly for consumers (more auto features, etc.).

BUT, 3 CMOS is exciting!

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #28
Major Player

BTW: the equivalent replacement for the Z1 - is the V1 (SonyBiz link).
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer
BTW: the equivalent replacement for the Z1 - is the V1 (SonyBiz link).
Now that's more like it! And I agree that the CMOS is exciting... so far in the single-sensor cameras it hasn't been as clean/crisp, but the power consumption is nice and the 3-CMOS looks very promising.
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White
Anyone who says "you can always deinterlace the 1080i to 1080p" clearly has too much time on there hands, and likes spending literally tens of hours waiting for their computer to crunch through the data for almost neglibible* improvements in image quality.
Using Canopus Edius I don't think it would take any longer to render 1080/60i HDV source to 1080p output than it would to render 1080/30f HDV source to 1080p output. Just change the project setting to 1080p and the i/p conversion takes place "on the fly."

As far as the FX7 is concerned, I agree it's no competition for the XH-A1, which may now become the camera to have for affordable HD event work. The only question is how the XH-A1 will compare to the FX1/FX7/Z1U in low-light situations, which I'm guessing will be a tossup. In my tests the Canon XL-H1 was slightly more sensitive than the FX1 but with much more noticeable image grain: I can boost FX1 footage in post to levels I wouldn't try with the Canon. But given that the XH-A1 has XLR inputs and a 20X zoom lens for under $4K, it will probably be very popular for event videographers.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7