Deck for V1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foster
As stated earlier; the M25U Sony deck does not, and I repeat does record in 1080P. Does not record in 1080p. Therefore if I want to stay in 1080p I have to record back to the camera.

And I will repeat it is earier to master to HDV and take that HDV master to a proper facility and have them bump it to HDCAM or D5.
J
Print to the M25U with pulldown, as that's the only way to print to HDV with progressive information. The camera doesn't work any differently than does the deck. Feel free to check out your V1U that you apparently have handy.
Rendering to HDV for upconversion to D5 or HDCAM is simply a bad idea, bad workflow, and bad for your video quality. And is more difficult than rendering it once, properly the first time. Render your HDV timeline to 4:2:2 YUV format in whatever compression scheme your service bureau recommends, deliver to them on a hard drive, let them output to HDCAM for you. It's a standard budget workflow, and prevents your media from suffering loss due to recompressed MPEG regardless of what application you work in.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sony States 1080i ONLY

If the camera doesn't work any different then the deck then way isn't it stated on Sony's website that the deck also records in 1080p? So what am I to believe your interputation or what Sony states on their website. You can be sure it their deck could record 1080p, they'd say it.
You seem to be missing the point on work flow but thats not surprising you seem to be missing the bigger point that Sony is not and is not planning to come out with a deck that records 1080P.
j
Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foster
If the camera doesn't work any different then the deck then way isn't it stated on Sony's website that the deck also records in 1080p? So what am I to believe your interputation or what Sony states on their website. You can be sure it their deck could record 1080p, they'd say it.
You seem to be missing the point on work flow but thats not surprising you seem to be missing the bigger point that Sony is not and is not planning to come out with a deck that records 1080P.
j
Jack, you apparently do not understand how the V1 encodes. I am aware of how the V1 encodes. A progressive deck is not required for ingest/output. There is no need for a progressive deck either for print. Were we talking about 1080p60, then we'd be having a different discussion, but given that HDV currently cannot acquire 1080p60, and that the 24p and 30p streams are embedded in a 60i stream, there is no need for a progressive deck, ergo Sony's lack of releasing a new deck so soon after launching the M15 and M25.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #19
Contributor

Douglass is correct about going to film--send the lab a hard drive with whatever they want on it. I did a video-to-35mm transfer (DSR500WS footage edited in Avid) a year or so with DVFilm in Austin (they did the conversion, lab in L.A. did the print) and they wanted a firewire drive with an Avid QT of the program. Presumably you could do an uncompressed QT too.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Does it or doesn't record 1080p

I only want to know if the deck has the ability to record in 1080p. What you're saying is that the deck will be able to read the HDV 1080p signal. What I want to know is will the deck record to tape as 1080p and play it back as 1080p or will it record it as 1080i and play it back as 1080i. The Sony website only indicates 1080i and saids nothing about 1080p.
I would think Sony would be the first to state if any of their decks could record and playback 1080p.
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #21

Jack,

Let's try this a different way;

The progressive information is embedded in a 60i stream. The decks record a 60i stream. The decks play back a 60i stream, with the progressive information in the 60i stream.

The NLE will extract the progressive information from the 60i stream. If you wish to print to a progressive format, you either print back to the deck with pulldown, or you render to a 4:2:2 YUV format be it Quicktime, Blackmagic, Bitjazz, or whatever other codec you wish to use, store the resulting file on a hard drive, send it to a service bureau, and have them print that to HDCAM or D5, or whatever your 24p format is going to be delivered on.

Or, you can send the same drive to a film-out facility and they'll print that file to film.

There is no HDV deck that records a 1080p stream, as the decks don't need to record a 1080p stream given the technology used to record the progressive information in a 1080 HDV stream. Therefore, Sony isn't going to say that their decks record a 1080p stream, because the decks don't record a 1080p stream, but rather a 1080i stream with progressive information embedded in the stream.

So to sum up:

~Sony does not make an HDV deck that records nor reads a pure 1080 stream.
~Sony does not make an HDV camcorder that records nor reads a pure 1080 stream.
~Sony does make an HDV camcorder that records a pure progressive stream embedded in a 60i stream.

Hopefully this clarifies the question for you.
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Fair enough

So the the deck records the 60i stream with progressive 1080p info but unlike the camera it cannot playback the 1080p info or rather it cannot extract the progressive info from the 60i stream. It can only playback 1080i.
So Sony may say they don't need a new deck but if the camera can do something the deck cannot do, they need a new deck.
j
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #23
RED Code Chef

They don't *need* a new deck. You *would like* another deck.

Reading your previous posts in this thread you want a deck for storage. The
current decks, that indeed do 1080i, will accommodate you perfectly.

As Douglas as explained you don't need a 1080p deck for storage and retrieval
of a 1080p signal. You can do that perfectly on a 1080i deck.

Now if you want to hook it up for playback to a 1080p capable screen or
projector then you might want a 1080p player. But I'm betting that you can't
see the difference (on playback) between a 1080p signal embedded in a 1080i
stream versus a real 1080p playback.

To summarize, you can do what you asked to do: archive your 1080p movie.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

And, as the camera comes out, the NLEs will likely start to release updates that remove the pulldown. This is all very similar to the DVX100 and Canon XL2 series of cameras, how the technology works by imbedding the 1080p signal into an interlace stream.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7