Confused: Why are we calling this a 1920x1080 sensor? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 9th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
... and we can get back to what most of us would rather do which is look at the image itself and judge for ourselves if it looks good enough for us and if it fits our style.
Right on Thomas.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:

Clearly the V1 will not be a bad camera and in fact be a very good camera but it may not fit the style of everybody on here. Sadly there is no way of knowing that yet without looking at the specs to see how it fits compared to the other cameras people are looking at. As soon as we get to see some samples compared to ther cameras then hopefully we will not have to resort to numbers talk anymore and we can get back to what most of us would rather do which is look at the image itself and judge for ourselves if it looks good enough for us and if it fits our style.
I agree Thomas. A metric of a camera's potential is its resolution, latitude, color reproduction. These are by no means the only measurements. For myself, they are visual measurements that allow me to make a personal choice. They can be determined scientifically and by the numbers. For certain work, the numbers are critical. In my humblle opionion, manufacturers have made the numbers less meaningful recently.

Declaring a the resolution 1920x1080 for a particular camera would lead you to believe a fair comparison could be drawn between a digital still image of 1920x1080 and a frame grab from an HD camera.

And to some extent, that's a fair expectation. It is after all, claimed to be a 1920x1080 sensor, or perhaps one that can resolve 1920x1080 unique pixels, or maybe not.

I can't assume a camera's ability to produce 1920x1080 pixels of an image camera's the lens sees.

I agree that 720p is easier to work with, and the resolution one sees on a 720p image is hard for me to decern from a 1080i image.

See the discussioon thread about the Z1 vs V1 resolution. A German site has lots of comparisons of images. From full frame grabs you can make up your mind about resolution and lattitude. In my opinion, the V1 is a feature camera, and not a quantum leap in resolution. lattiutude or color reproduction. If one likes the feature set, and the nudge in image quality, its a great camera. Or if you just like the size. :-)

I've made up my mind.
Alex Huppenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Here's the link from the Z1 vs V1 rez thread. It compares several HDV Camera. http://www.fxsupport.de/12.html
Alex Huppenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #64
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Huppenthal
Here's the link from the Z1 vs V1 rez thread. It compares several HDV Camera. http://www.fxsupport.de/12.html
Great tests. Babelfish helps quite a bit on the text.

Now I would like to see something similar for Z1 and V1.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #65

Quote:
All of this numbers talk would go away if we had more samples to see. Why do you think the numbers game doesn't come up anymore for any of the Canon HDV cameras or the Panasonic HVX200? At first thats all people could talk about was the numbers for the HVX200 but now that we have had enough examples to see what it can do a lot of that has died down.
I would submit that Sony hasn't put up any footage for the same reason Jim Jannard at RED says they won't be putting up footage prior to the cam shipping; "It only puts us at a disadvantage..." because people will find fault, dissect, tear up, criticize, etc more than they'll look at the reality of what's possible. Just as we've seen in this thread and this particular forum. Folks don't seem to want to look at products for what the products allow and encourage them to do, but rather to find attributes of a product that don't meet that person's particular description of Nirvana...
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #66
RED Problem Solver

Doubly so as we're still in active development. That said, we just put up some nice 1080p footage.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7