Sony LED Light for the FX7/V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony LED Light for the FX7/V1

So much talk about the camera, so little talk about the accessories.

Given the need for light in low light situations with these 14/" CMOS cameras, I'm wondering what people think of Sony's new camera light.
HVL-LBP
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...-V1U/acce.html

Saw it at HD World in NYC. Sony rep didn't know much about it though. Said it was not strong, 20W or less. I suspect he was confused about power consumption (16W) and it's tungsten equivalent. It seemed closer to 50W to me. Does anybody know this equivalent?

Rep didn't mention the list price. I'd heard around $400. B&H doesn't even list it among the accessories. Anybody know the list?

It had a dimmer, something not clear to me on the Sony site.

Rep said he thought Litepanels was better (but it's around $800-$1000 depending on accessories). I believe Litepanel draws 7W and illuminates as if it were 25W.

It shouldn't be so hard to get info about this Sony light. Sony has very little info about it.

Anybody know details, have opinions having tested it?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Craig

Yes not for the first time a 'rep' hasn't the first clue about anything... !

Yep that light has a 16watt power-consumption. I estimate an equivalent power-output to be about equivalent of 35-50watts for a tungsten light. That's a bit of an educated guess i admit, but based on various bits and pieces.

It provides a light level of 600lux at 1 metre distance.

The light has a dimmer control yes.

Price in Japan is about 52,000yen and again i estimate based on various factors that it might come in at about US$350 or so. Again, an educated guess on that.

The light has a flip.down diffuser panel and also a flip-up 'concentrater' which i think is for using more telephoto focal-lengths when you don't need a wide-spread of light. To be honest, the light is sounding & looking really quite nice. I think it'll have plenty of power, and as it's only 16watt consumption it should have the advantage that it won't die off in 30-40minutes as a lot of the tungsten lights seem to do.

I do agree that info on this should be easier to find though !!
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was thinking about getting one of those Lite Panels lights, but may hold off for this one, sounds interesting and about half the price. How does this light compare to the lite panel one, as far as intensity of the light? I would need for simple run n gun setups, up to 10 feet distance, would it be sufficient? I like the idea of being able to use the Sony batteries instead of all the other battery power stuff, like the frezzi's.

By the way, I read somewhere that the light will be available in January, 2007.
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Miller
I was thinking about getting one of those Lite Panels lights, but may hold off for this one, sounds interesting and about half the price. How does this light compare to the lite panel one, as far as intensity of the light? I would need for simple run n gun setups, up to 10 feet distance, would it be sufficient? I like the idea of being able to use the Sony batteries instead of all the other battery power stuff, like the frezzi's.

By the way, I read somewhere that the light will be available in January, 2007.
I'm absolutely sure it will be MORE than sufficient up to 10feet or so. I don't think there will be any problem there at all.

Intensity of the light as i said is a slight mystery at the moment, but if my educated guess at about 35-50watts equivalent output (unoffical guesstimate..) is at all close, then it will provide really quite a lot of light and should be good for substantially beyond 10feet.

Frezzi make lights like the micro-fill and thats i think about 35watts (depends which bulb yu have in it ) and I would say that this new HVL-LBP will be around that sort of light-level. I think at about US$350 (my guess) it would HAVE to be, to be honest....

Only about another month to wait.... we'll see!
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I saw the light and played a bit with it. Aimed camera into dark corner and played with the light. Could be 35W but I thought it might be a as much as 50W. I certainly liked it. Diffusion, bard doors, dimmer and uses Sony batteries directly on the back of light or through an extension so you can belt/pocket a battery. Keep in mind that given the low power consumption you can get away with something smaller than a 970 battery too. I'm still leary about HDV but I'd consider buying the light for my PD-170.

Certainly a light like that is a good solution to using the V1 in low light. I've spend too many years wearing a battery belt and don't want to go that route again.

I just found it a bit suprising that the Sony rep didn't seem to see great value in it compared to a Lightpanel, which I've also seen and find it both awkward and expensive.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Trustee

I wonder how top heavy the camera becomes with the battery attached directly to the light. Those 970 batteries are pretty heavy. But I really like the idea of this light since I too despise those battery belts!
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Keep in mind that LED lights are low power consumption, long lasting. You can probably use a battery much smaller than the 970 to match the life of a battery on old Sony 10/20W lights.

After looking at the light I think Sony may be making a marketing mistake by not pushing this "accessory." I can see a whole bunch of Z1, FX1, DP, VX users buying this light. It may be harder to appeal to users of Panasonic, JVC, Canon users since it does use the Sony battery but there are MANY Sony cameras out there that would benefit by this light and tieing to just V1, FX7 is a marketing mistake IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
I wonder how top heavy the camera becomes with the battery attached directly to the light. Those 970 batteries are pretty heavy. But I really like the idea of this light since I too despise those battery belts!
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Major Player

...reply

Hello all.

I demoed this LED light and while the concept and performance is nice, like all LED-based lights, there is a huge curve with regards to output at specific distances.

I have tested, used, and written about countless lights over the years and more recently, about the LED lights, such as LitePanels, VidLED, Varizoom, ZyLight, and have done some testing with this Sony light as well, in addition to others.

They are all great lights based on their intended application, but in short, in dark environments, such as social events (wedding receptions) you will have a huge dropoff after 5-6 feet. Thus, for close-up shots, they are great. VidLED, ZyLight, and Sony show very well with widescreen footage as the spread is more even and not as spotty whereas the Varizoom will show the "circular spot" and then quickly drop off on the 1st and 5th percentage of the camera screen.

Just know that if you're looking for a light that will have a very noticable, bright, long throw, such as when comparing them to a 20W diffused halogen (like Sony's), you may be dissapointed. But, if you want a great filler light and great color representation, the LED lights are great.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Marshall, great info. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the one you tested? I know Sony is projecting a release date of 1/07. Did you get a 'beta' unit?
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
Thanks Marshall, great info. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the one you tested? I know Sony is projecting a release date of 1/07. Did you get a 'beta' unit?
My answer is, and I quote..." :) "
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Ken, they are showing it at trade shows along with the V1. Not quite the same as taking it for a walk but it wasn't hard to find dimly lit sections of trade show floor within a few feet of the Sony booth at HD World NYC.

Marshall, when you mention 20W Sony are you talking about the Sony 10/20W (20DW2)? It's not an easy thing to diffuse. No easy way to attach something without some jury-rig. It's rather harsh on its own in my opinion. The new 16W(power consumption) HVL-LBP seems to have higher output (even though the fall off may be steeper than a halogen light).

I aimed at a dark area around 10ft away. Yes there was significant fall off but given that it seems brighter (to my eyes) than the 20DW2 I use, the LBP, even with diffuser on, still seems to provide usable fill at that distance.

While Sony rates it at 600lx at 1 meter I'd love to know where it is a 3 meters compared to 20DW2. If one is looking for a longer throw than that, I think one needs to be looking at different lighting (Frezzi for example).
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy
My answer is, and I quote..." :) "
Marshall, if there's a knock at the door, don't answer!! ;)
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #13
Major Player

Anybody knows what is the color temperature of this light? is it daylight equivalent or 3200K?
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #14
Trustee

Anyone know if the light is yet available?
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Nope, not yet. I was actually speaking with a few Sony reps yesterday and the story is this....

...DR60 delayed until mid-February due to a software glitch. ($1600)
...LED light - early February ($500)
...DR60/accessory bracket - early February ($175)
...WA lens - available now but impossible to find. More stock expected mid-February. ($550)
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7