V1 and Canon A1 side by side - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans
OK so under Prog. Scan do I shoot 24 or 24 A? Manual doesnt tell me what the differences are.

It depends on your NLE, and/or plans to be compatible with other NLE's. Sony Vegas for example, will correctly read the file in any event. At this time, no other NLE will, so the A mode was created.

There are two modes in the V1.
~The "A" mode freezes the end frame/stop so that every segment begins with a perfect 3:2 cadence when the camcorder is started.
~one mode does not, and shoots "as normal."

Enjoy the cam!
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Im editing in FCP and want to mix with A1 footage for the comparison.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #18
Major Player

Probably too late to matter, but maybe consider upping the sharpness on the Canon a bit? -3 might be a bit softish? Especially since 24F knocks the sharpness down a bit too.
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Just getting started. But I think the -3 settiing on the Canon is where is should be. Camera is sharp.

Found the FCP workflow. Rather bothersome, but thats the way it goes.

The biggest issue thus far was quickly getting everything into manual mode. The scene files are easy to work with and adjust, problem I was having was digging through to get manual shutter speed as well as fstop and white balance all at the same time. Got it now.
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Major Player

Noel,
Is it possible to post a link to your website with your opinions on these 2 cameras? I have a friend who wants to know more about the Sony. I own the A1 and would like to hear what you think so far. Thanks!
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Shall do once I have finished up. But you have to remember, that I will only post comparisons on this forum for reference. On my website, it will all be MY OPINION.
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #22
Trustee

Noel, I look forward to that comparison. Please post a link to your own website so that we can see your opinion too. Thanks.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #23
Trustee

i'll second that! i believe there's quite a few people out here waiting for a good, comprehensive side by side assement.

having been given some test footage from the v1 to play with i'm suitably impressed. i had a quick touchy feely of the canon, and it felt like i was holding a brick (i need longer fingers too to reach the rocker....), but since most of my work is off tripod, i'll go with which ever comes out ahead.

anyone any comments regarding fixed lens w/a? which has the wider without adaptor?

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #24
Major Player

The Canon is wider.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #25
Regular Crew

We recently had both cameras side by side as well. Our tests were less precise in terms of image quality and we found that we could live with either. We were more critical of camera performance and ergonomics. We are a newspaper shooting for web content and the AF performance, ergonomics, and durabilty are very important to us. The V1 that we had focused much better and held focus when an object moved through the frame. The Canon A1 was wandering even when the subject was still and was taking too long to get sharp. Our concensus was also that it was also more difficult to tell was was sharp when manually focusing the Canon in the viewfinder and the lcd.

I am curious to see the results of your tests since we weren't as thorough as you are with the settings to obtain the best image quality.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #26
Major Player

Jeff, what about ergonomics? Is the Canon bulkier and heavier or both feel pretty much the same?
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
Jeff, what about ergonomics? Is the Canon bulkier and heavier or both feel pretty much the same?
The Canon is about the size of the Z1. The V1 is smaller.....probably about 20%. But we think it still "feels" substantial like a piece of pro gear. We liked the lcd configuration better on the Sony and it seems less likely to break off with how it swivels and the side location. Out of the 4 of us that were reviewing the cameras we all liked the layout of the buttons and custom program buttons. The audio controls are more easily adjusted on the V1 without hand repositioning. One more on audio : I believe the Canon could only be set to line level or mic level, and the Sony could have 1 XLR on line and the other on mic. One other silly thing is that the headphone jack is in the same panel as 4 other ports. Every time the camera is used those ports (including the firewire) are exposed and can be damaged (and that cover never goes back on right !) One bummer about the Sony is an additional charger must be purchsed for $100 to charge batts, unless you use the camera to charge them. Not a big deal, but if we are getting 8-10 cameras thet money could have gotten us an LED light and extra batts ! Pros and cons to everything.
We may have been splitting hairs. But that's the beauty of having a choice.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #28
Inner Circle

As somebody who has his right arm handicapped after two neck spine surgeries, I can assure you the V1 feels much lighter and better balanced for hand-held shooting. This is my main (very subjective and personal) reason to still consider it, after a couple of weeks of great experience with the Canon...

But of course I wouldn't like to make decisions based on my personal limitations, so I'm going to very throughly test the "fixed" progressive mode on a brand new V1E before making decision. Also, in order to get a wide angle comparable with the A1 stock lense, one must use a wide angle converter on the V1, which will diminish the difference by making the front heavier.

I'll keep you posted!
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I wanted to just throw a quick update - at present I am getting some ugly blockiness in the Sony V1 footage - I am not sure of the cause, specifically I am trying to confirm if its the result of capturing through AIC on FCP. Once I can get some reliable answer to this I will post the shots etc.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I had ugly blockiness and it wasn't anything to do with AIC or FCP. I had plenty of blockiness in my footage generally in darker areas. Under certain conditions the detail gets rubbed away and replaced with dancing block noise.

Post the footage and I tell you if it is the same as in 25P land.

Have a look at this image I posted from a "fixed" V1E.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...3&d=1168774231

Look at the field in the back ground. See how blocky it is. Those block leap around like crazy.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7