V1 and Canon A1 side by side - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
I had ugly blockiness and it wasn't anything to do with AIC or FCP. I had plenty of blockiness in my footage generally in darker areas. Under certain conditions the detail gets rubbed away and replaced with dancing block noise.

Post the footage and I tell you if it is the same as in 25P land.

Have a look at this image I posted from a "fixed" V1E.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...3&d=1168774231

Look at the field in the back ground. See how blocky it is. Those block leap around like crazy.

TT
Mine arent nearly as bad, but it is the same pattern. I was shooting in the A 24p mode.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM   #32
New Boot

Website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans
Shall do once I have finished up. But you have to remember, that I will only post comparisons on this forum for reference. On my website, it will all be MY OPINION.
Noel,
What is your website? Like others, I'm sitting on the V1 vs A1 fence and I'm anxious to hear your results.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris Gerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:25 AM   #33
Inner Circle

I have noticed that the A1 is much more forgiving to quick pans, zooms etc than the V1. Is it because it has larger chips, or is the encoding more efficient?
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #34
Major Player

Hey Noel, did you ever get around doing this? Still curious for your results... :)

Cheers!
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rhode View Post
The Canon is about the size of the Z1. The V1 is smaller.....probably about 20%. But we think it still "feels" substantial like a piece of pro gear.
When you add a wide angle adapter to the Sony (which to me is a basic necessity for most shooting) it comes out about the same as the Canon A1.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #36
Major Player

V1U 30P vs A1 30F

I'm really interested in knowing how the two cameras compare on the 30 and 24 "progressive" modes. The 3 rings on the A1 seem really attractive, as does the 72mm ring (e.g., if you have a lot of FX1/Z1 lens accessories). However, the quality of the progressive modes is going to be important. Also, how well does the iris dial work on the V1U? If the dial works well enough, then the iris ring on the A1 becomes less important. I guess I'm a little spoiled by the more-or-less smooth iris transition on the FX1.

Is the general consensus that the audio controls/phantom power, etc., are more capable on the V1U than on the A1?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
When you add a wide angle adapter to the Sony (which to me is a basic necessity for most shooting) it comes out about the same as the Canon A1.
Adam Wilt's review of the A1 indicates that the A1 has the same barrel distortion at full wide that the Z1U/FX1 has. How about the V1U? One article I read (in VideoMaker, I think) didn't mention anything about barrel distortion on the FX7.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #38
Inner Circle

If you read a camera review that didn't talk much about the damn lens on the thing, my guess is that you can discount practically everything else you read there.

The FX1 has quite noticeable barrel distortion at the wide-angle end - but then few cameras with zooms longer than about 6x avoid this designer trade-off. The V1 has less wide-angle to start with, so may suffer less from this affliction, but once fitted with Sony's wide-converter (as all the V1s were on the Sony stand at London's Video Forum) back comes the dreaded curvy walls, doors and telegraph poles.

If you go here:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery/v/tom...+_001.jpg.html

you can see an easy way to check your zoom's barrel distortion. The next frame along shows the results of my Z1.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7