V1 in low light: first true event impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Let me guess: the oil paint effect!
I thought it looked like two people were trying to play it, one of them the wrong way round? :D
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
I think you've got the point here, Alex - the camera was not using any "cine" settings (gamma or colour), and the blacks were stretched (rather than compressed) on purpose. All this contributed to a more evenly lit atmosphere, which you may not like, but my point in posting those snapshots was just to show the level of noise.

Here is another lo-light snapshot, with quite the opposite settings: cinegamma, cinecolour and black compressed. The result is a contrasty video.
I agree absolutely - I wasn't criticizing your videography. Just observing that sometimes what we "expect" doesn't reflect reality.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Let me guess: the oil paint effect!
If you want to see the oil paint effect just look at EYP Evening6. Take particular notice of the bearded gentleman's jacket. I bet that looks dreadful in motion.

Then look at the wall to the left of the accordion player on the right of the screen. The oil paint/macroblocking effect is clearly seen on the wall.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble View Post
Then look at the wall to the left of the accordion player on the right of the screen. The oil paint/macroblocking effect is clearly seen on the wall. TT
Accordian? Where's that? I don't see an accordian in any of these stills.

Bill

*edit* ooops! Now I see the keyboard of it in the 3rd pic.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
If you want to see the oil paint effect just look at EYP Evening6. Take particular notice of the bearded gentleman's jacket. I bet that looks dreadful in motion.

Then look at the wall to the left of the accordion player on the right of the screen. The oil paint/macroblocking effect is clearly seen on the wall.

TT
I can see those artefacts clearly, Tony. Let me remind you though that this particular snapshot was spoiled by the photographer's flash, superimposing for a split-second on the lighting that my camera was adjusted to - I guess you cannot blame the encoder for not being able to cope with that.

Please help me find similar spots on the other snapshots.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I can see those artefacts clearly, Tony.
I think this might just be the inherent noise-print of this camera. I've noticed that in V1 clips there is no real "grain", but the image almost shimmies. I think this becomes (in still grabs) the oil-paint effect. In Piotr's clip grabs here we're seeing this effect perhaps because this is pushing the exposure quite far.

It looks similar to the macroblocking effect seen in the shadows in the HVX.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Some low light stuffs

Hi,

let me contribute to this thread with a couple of still grabs of my low light footage. Pls comment.
Attached Thumbnails
V1 in low light: first true event impressions-2dancers.jpg   V1 in low light: first true event impressions-bdance1.jpg  

V1 in low light: first true event impressions-movie-clipping-2.jpg   V1 in low light: first true event impressions-movie-clipping-3.jpg  

Old March 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Zsolt

Lovely images but any reason why they are so soft?

TT
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Zsolt

Lovely images but any reason why they are so soft?

TT
Tony, it looks great and sharp when its a clip. However, avoiding hassle and artifacts I have shot them interlaced. Then to get a proper still, I did a fast deinterlacing with QT, and they became soft - but at least no "mice teeth" or what the heck the name for the interlaced artifact is.
Can you suggest a GOOD deinterlacing method or FCP plugin that renders sharper images?
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #25
Regular Crew

No I don't Zsolt. But that explains things.

TT

PS that also explains why there is no oil paint effect. 50i is always superb.

Last edited by Tony Tremble; March 26th, 2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: adding the ps.....
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #26
Major Player

I also find Piotr's stills pretty soft, except for the lady in front of the keyboard - thats sharper.

To be honest, the only sharp still from V1 I have ever seen was the "famous" one in Coffee Bean, shot by Steve Mullen. But thats V1U....
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
I also find Piotr's stills pretty soft, except for the lady in front of the keyboard - thats sharper.

To be honest, the only sharp still from V1 I have ever seen was the "famous" one in Coffee Bean, shot by Steve Mullen. But thats V1U....
Zsolt, mine were shot progressive with sharpness 3.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Zsolt, mine were shot progressive with sharpness 3.
I used interlaced with default sharpness (is it 7?)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7