What is BEST bag for the V1U? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM   #16
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for all your input

I only bought a VX2100 recently - and that seems to be quite bulky. I think I am getting a good buy in being sent a G1BP for the price of an out of stock VCB (they both are the sma esize but the G1BP is a lot heavier - probably sturdier). Now that you think that it is at least shower proof, I will ring the company and tell them I am keeping it.

No doubt, I will be buying more lens etc. in due course to fill the bag. I just have to develop more muscles. Do you think it is safe to put the bag on a luggage trolley and wheel it? The bag does seem quite sturdy. I am not very strong.

Thanks again for your prompt response.
Mahes Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sony case - internal height?

Can anyone tell me the maximum height available in the Sony case please?

I am using the Sony W/A lens most of the time and have a Rode NTG1 mic with "Dead Cat" muffler. To avoid the Dead Cat protruding into the field of view with this W/A in place the mic is on top of the cam in the Rode shock absorbing hot shoe mount.

This means I need about 11" internal case height to house the cam with mic in place, is this possible? I suspect not...
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Regular Crew

best bag for V1U

I just got a Kata CC-195 for mine, and it offers good protection, customizable compartments, and room for accessories. It's a little bigger than I thought, but I think I will end up liking it. I got it from B&H - and they were offering a second smaller Kata bag for free with it which I may use for a belt bag on shoots.
David Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #19
Trustee

two, whatever...

a. i went through a number of very reputable soft bags in my business, and no matter how 'trendy' they were, or 'solidly built to withstand' whatever, i came to the conclusion long ago that a well designed hard case, pelican or the like, custom cut to your specs makes any softbag useful as an accessory bag.

b. i still have one of my old aluminium cases that i use with my v1 and matte box and off-set mike holder all attached. (i could leave the stock mic on as well, but i prefer my me80, which is a little too long for teh case). i can get the camera out by flicking two catches. about half the time it would take me to open the zipper('s) on a soft bag and release the strap or whatever that held the camera secure - yeah, i learnt the hard way, (with a network camera), than if a bag falls off the tailgate onto it end, there's fa protection if the camera also slides forward in the bag. hence the retaining strap.

c. that said, i was looking for a case for my old 170 with w/a, and it's bits and pieces... went to bunnings (walmart?) and found one of those chinese made reinforced plastic tool boxes. it looked pretty acceptable - battleship grey and black fittings, and having spent $80 on it, and another $30 having it custom foam fitted, i reckon i'd happily send it cargo on a plane, well, that is, if i could guarantee it arriving at the same place i did....

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Decker View Post
I just got a Kata CC-195 for mine, and it offers good protection, customizable compartments, and room for accessories. It's a little bigger than I thought, but I think I will end up liking it. I got it from B&H - and they were offering a second smaller Kata bag for free with it which I may use for a belt bag on shoots.
I just ordered a Kata CC-195 myself (for my FX1), and should have it tomorrow.
I wanted a bag for carry on and single camera day shoot purposes, instead of my rolling suitcase for my new FX1.

I saw the bag earlier this month at my association meeting, where a Bogen rep was showing off the Bogen products as well as Kata bags. BTW, I also found out that KATA and Bogen are all under the same ownership. I didn't know that.

I already own a Lowepro Pro Roller 3 (large rolling suitcase) and have a KATA MC-61 bag for my audio equiptment, which I love. Very well made and pockets everywhere.
Since the FX1 is bigger than the V1/FX7, I decided to go with the CC-195, as it was 2 inches or so deeper than the CC-193, which is recommended for FX1/V1. This way I can keep my Beachtek DXA FX adapter attached to the bottom of my FX1, and just pull the camera out to shoot.

BTW, the KATA MC-61 will also be a great bag for your V1.
I have used it with my PD170's. The PD170, same size as the V1U, fits perfectly. You can acutally fit 2 PD170's in the top of the M6-61 if needed.
But the MC-61 is too small for my FX1.
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #21
Major Player

Has anyone got one of these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nsit_Case.html
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #22
New Boot

I'm using a Lowepro Primus AW backpack for travelling and trekking. It's the most comfortable, well designed, well built backpack i've found; good lumber support/can wear it all day. The V1 fits snugly in either the top or bottom compartments with arrangement. I use a sennheiser shotgun in a beyer hotshoe holder (which is on & off in seconds); haven't tried it with the supplied mic fitted but doubt it would fit. What I like about it is that it's v low profile, it doesn't look like a camera bag, and it's adaptable enough to add extra pockets, tripod etc.
Alnoor Dewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Most compact solution.

I have a KATA SHELL 03.... they are rather hard to find now,but it's a perfect fit hard shell option, as compact as you can find for the V1E.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=4&ProdLine=4
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #24
Major Player

Anyone use one of these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uard_Case.html
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I had a similar case for a while (doskocil), but now much prefer my Petrol PCCB-1N. It is really good for setting on the floor or a table and having easy access to all the accessories.

Starting in the upper left of the photo:
UL - 2 high cap batts and 2 chargers.
LL - about 12 tapes.
L middle - WA lense, wireless lav, mini headphones.
LR - filters, lens cleaning, tools.
There is a sony ECM77b wired lav alongside the camera.
1 outside pocket has a 25' xlr and a rain cover.
Other outside pocket has the cam manual and talent releases.
There's lots of little stuff in there as well. I won't go out without a pair of reading glasses for checking critical focus.

I only turn the cam mic around and use the securing strap when I'm on and off airplanes (just got back from a trip).

The case is big enough to accomodate the full size headphones, or a 2nd wireless as needed for a job.

About $120 US.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...order_Bag.html
Attached Thumbnails
What is BEST bag for the V1U?-v1-petrol-bag.jpg  
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I have twins, so I bought a pelican case for both. It has worked out well. It's probably my paranoia, but I'm leary of soft cases since I have to load a bunch of stuff and worry about them getting squished. The pelican I have for them is big, but it works out. I certainly have less worry.
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
I had a similar case for a while (doskocil), but now much prefer my Petrol PCCB-1N. It is really good for setting on the floor or a table and having easy access to all the accessories.

Starting in the upper left of the photo:
UL - 2 high cap batts and 2 chargers.
LL - about 12 tapes.
L middle - WA lense, wireless lav, mini headphones.
LR - filters, lens cleaning, tools.
There is a sony ECM77b wired lav alongside the camera.
1 outside pocket has a 25' xlr and a rain cover.
Other outside pocket has the cam manual and talent releases.
There's lots of little stuff in there as well. I won't go out without a pair of reading glasses for checking critical focus.

I only turn the cam mic around and use the securing strap when I'm on and off airplanes (just got back from a trip).

The case is big enough to accomodate the full size headphones, or a 2nd wireless as needed for a job.

About $120 US.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...order_Bag.html
Seth, you left out the most important item you have in that bag, duct tape. It's the item that labels you a pro. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #28
Major Player

Well I decided to buy Sony Canada's shoulder-bag called the MOBECASE which has been terrific so far (I can fit two V1Us in it). But due to the size, it's over the carry-on restrictions for flying, and since it's a soft case I can't check it. So, unfortunately, I'm shopping for a case again.

I can't say it's a good investment to buy a hard case since I don't shoot for a living; this is just a one-time project where I need to fly with some gear. Is a Pelican 1520 hard case (foam-custom-cut type) the best option for a cheap hard case? Those are intended for travel I imagine, and I presume I can get one large enough to custom-fit two V1Us?

I wish I could check it to have on-board with me, but I'm carrying two cameras and I can't imagine there would be a soft case that could fit two cameras and at the same time, pass carry-on restrictions.

Better yet, I wish I could rent one locally and not pay a fortune. I called Vistek but they recommended a really weird way to ship it with a DIY-shrink-wrap type solution that was still costly and didn't leave me feeling too confident. They didn't have any standard hard-cases.

Any suggestions? I presume a lot of you have experience flying, since you do this for a living :)
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Well I decided to buy Sony Canada's shoulder-bag called the MOBECASE which has been terrific so far (I can fit two V1Us in it). But due to the size, it's over the carry-on restrictions for flying, and since it's a soft case I can't check it. So, unfortunately, I'm shopping for a case again.

I can't say it's a good investment to buy a hard case since I don't shoot for a living; this is just a one-time project where I need to fly with some gear. Is a Pelican 1520 hard case (foam-custom-cut type) the best option for a cheap hard case? Those are intended for travel I imagine, and I presume I can get one large enough to custom-fit two V1Us?

I wish I could check it to have on-board with me, but I'm carrying two cameras and I can't imagine there would be a soft case that could fit two cameras and at the same time, pass carry-on restrictions.

Better yet, I wish I could rent one locally and not pay a fortune. I called Vistek but they recommended a really weird way to ship it with a DIY-shrink-wrap type solution that was still costly and didn't leave me feeling too confident. They didn't have any standard hard-cases.

Any suggestions? I presume a lot of you have experience flying, since you do this for a living :)

I have one pelican for both of my V1us. I can't remember the model, but it's a beast. I would feel comfortable with flying with it if the money was right, but that's another story. I will say the pelican that holds the cams protects very well when we are on location.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #30
Major Player

Great news. I'm looking to find the right Pelican case now; I think that's the best option.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7