What is BEST bag for the V1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is BEST bag for the V1U?

I have had my V1U since december and i still do not have a bag for it. I need a bag that will fit the camera safely and will also offer some room for accessories. Anyone out there have any suggestions???
Trey Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Dos it have to be a "soft bag" or could it be a "hard case" as in the picture?

I always "built" the interior myself, when I acquired a new cam from VX-1000, PD-150 to a V1E.

If you are interested, I can explain in details
Made in two layers. Top holds camera, lenses, ect
Bottom for tapes, cables and charger, aso

This case is also accepted as "cabin baggage” by airlines (Europe)

We call it a “Pilot case” and it is made from alu

volki
Attached Images

Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You might want to check out the f.64 camcorder case. I bought one from
B & H photo for my V1 for $56. It has the waist straps and shoulder straps. It has an overflap on top that will protect all the compartments from rain. I mainly use the waist belt set up which can be tucked away in its own compartment. Best bag for the money.
Bob Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks

Max, that case looks great for traveling but i think i would prefer a soft case for local transporting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Bob, that case looks good for the money and it is the style i am looking for, but when i see a bag that cheap, it makes me wonder how well it will hold up. I'm probably looking to get a bag from a better known brand and for anywhere from $100-$250 (preferably not $250 haha).

If you guys dont no of a specific bag, at least a brand. (kata, portabrace, etc) This would be my first time buying a bag so i have no experience with any brand. Thanks for the help so far!
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Trey,

browse Kata website, you can find their selection per camera model.
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Trustee

I have always used Porta-Brace, but one of the guys I work with quite often has a Kata and I was impressed by the quality and attention to detail. Petrol is another good brand.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I've just got the Kata cc-193, and - while satisfied with the overall design and quality - have one doubt: why is the bottom so soft? In fact, it's softer than the side walls, so that when putting on the floor, you almost feel the camera bumping against it!

With the V1, to have it ready for immediate shooting, you have to keep the mic always on as it doesn't have an on-board one; this is why choosing the right case is not that easy! The Kata cc-193 is big enough, but this soft bottom?!! Who knows, maybe I'll switch to the original Sony LCS-G1BP bag! Does anyone use it actually?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; April 15th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Piotr,
With that Kata bag you have, can you keep the mic on?
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Dillen View Post
Piotr,
With that Kata bag you have, can you keep the mic on?
Yes Trey, and it's actually completely safe, the side walls being stiff and high enough. The same is possible with the Sony LCS-G1BP bag, plus it has thicker bottom. I wish I went with that one!
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Regular Crew

i can't seem to find any information on that bag in the US? Every website i go to that is selling it, is only selling to the UK. I can't even find it on the Sony website. Anyone know where to find it?
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Dillen View Post
i can't seem to find any information on that bag in the US? Every website i go to that is selling it, is only selling to the UK. I can't even find it on the Sony website. Anyone know where to find it?
I don't know about US availability, but take a look here:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...-V1E-Microsite

or here:
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...productID=3181
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Just wanted to share with those of you interested that I replaced the Kata bag with the new Sony LCS-G1BP - and am very satisfied indeed!

Like the Kata, it's extremely well build - better I'd say. Unlike the Kata, its bottom is very, very rigid and safe when putting it on a hard surface. It allows storing the V1 with external microphone on - ready for shooting! Apart from the camera, my bag now holds (in separate, soft compartments):

- the DR60 drive
- complete Sennheiser Evo wireless set
- the new Sony HVL-LBP lamp
- the Sony wa converter with its huge lens hood (by re-arranging the compartment, you can store the camera with the converter and hood on, as well)
- three batteries (one on the camera, one on the DR60, and one for the lamp - disconnected, though)
- several tapes
- two additional microphones (not in separate compartment, though).

In the external, full size pockets I can safely keep all the cables, battery charger, tripod plate, plus much, much more.

Recommended!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:30 AM   #13
New Boot

Sony LCS-G1BP

I ordered a LCS-VCB and was sent a G1BP because they did not have the VCB in stock. Thanks Piotr Wozniacki for your detailed report. Can I please ask you one thing. The VCB has a rain hodd - the G1BP does not. Is this case waterproof or should I buy a rain cover?

Thanks
Mahes Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

First of all, if you have a V1 you are lucky you didn't get the VCB becuase it's just to small - just big enough for a Z1 without external mic.

As to the G1BP being waterproof; well it's nowhere explicitely stated but when I had mine exposed to a summer shower some time ago, it didn't soak at all.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM   #15
Trustee

16x9 Inc has a bag that I adored. We used it with an HVX200 and all it's extra stuff when I was working with a production company. Here's the link:
http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169-cb1.html
It's roomy without being huge, fits in most overhead lugage compartments, seems solidly made, has a bunch of compartments (velcro configurable compartments) and it looks snazzy.
Did I mention that I loved this bag?
When we were traveling with the HVX and a varicam, this bag had enough room in the main compartment to fit the HVX and the Varicam's lens (usual ENG style zoom lens).
Forgot to mention that if you're worried about it's main compartment being too large, this bag comes with built in straps that will secure your camera so it won't be flopping around while you lug this thing around.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7