V1U has no video IN at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1U has no video IN

After owning a few Z1's we were surprised to know that Sony threw us a curve and changed the video in/out port to a video OUT only. Since we Occasionally collect a pool feed from news trucks it is important that we can hook up an analog signal to the camera and record it. I have seen converters in the $200-300 range, but outside of being expensive (when multiplied to go with each camera) they also need ac power--none that I have seen are battery powered.

Can anyone recommend what we are looking for-an analog to digital converter that could be battery powered ? If not can an AC powered unit be recommended ?
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

These are under $100 and you could probably substitute some kind of battery pack for the AC "brick": http://www.adstech.com/products/API-...id=API-557-EFS
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. I did see that, but it doesn't look very portable. I was looking at the Canopus model 55 and that looked a bit smaller, but I am hoping that there is something available that is a portable battery powered unit.
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Wrangler

When all is said and done, the best solution might be a cheap 1-chip DV camcorder with video input...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Solution !!!

I bought one of the Canopus ADVC 55 ($219) and it works great. In fact we can go from an analogue signal into the V1, or directly into the computer to capture. The gets around the lack of "play through" on the camera.

The Canopus device is really small (walkman sized) and I am building a battery box to atttach to it in place of the AC adapter. If it is being hooked to another 6 pin FW cable it will get the power from the FW connection.
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Jeff Rhode;673730]I bought one of the Canopus ADVC 55 ($219) and it works great. QUOTE]

I've had my Canopus 110 for a while. I love that little thing. I actually have it hooked up to my pc to external monitor. It also does VHS capture. You'll really enjoy it.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Major Player

I second Steven with the Canopus 110. Great little box, it's been on my computer ever since I bought it (when it first came out).
Chris Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7