86mm narrow filter for v1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #1
Trustee

86mm narrow filter for v1?

further to my post re: 86 mm filter under sony wa lens hood. anyone found one thin enough?

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Leslie,
I have a Sunpak UV that fits just fine.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Berger; October 29th, 2007 at 06:39 AM.
Lee Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Trustee

hi lee,

thanks for the reply, but i'm writing about the sony wide angle lens (86mm) - VCL-HG0862K, and i think it's an even smaller clearance....

leslie
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just out of curiousity: is it possible to fit the VCL-HG0862K (which is Bayonet mount) on the V1 with an UV filter attached (as in the picture posted)?
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Trustee

yes, no problem. however, the hood wont fit over the filter...

ie. the sony wa does have a filter thread.

leslie

ps. sorry just re-read your question. i don't think so, and i'm not too sure of the practicality of using filters between lens' - the only time i've ever done that was years ago with my beta sp rigs when i'd stretch a piece of stocking over the back of the lens for that 'soft' look....
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
[...] i don't think so, and i'm not too sure of the practicality of using filters between lens' - the only time i've ever done that was years ago with my beta sp rigs when i'd stretch a piece of stocking over the back of the lens for that 'soft' look....
I don't think so, either - after re-thinking. Nevertheless, it could be nice to keep SOME filter always on, and be able to attach the wa only when needed.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #7
Trustee

i work the other way around - i keep my wa on all the time, and only rarely take it off. hence my annoyance at the bad design aspect of sony's lens hood...

leslie
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

And don't forget you're working at very short focal lengths indeed. With Sony's 0.8x wide-angle in place you're shooting at a focal length of about 4 mm. Hold your fingertips 4 mm apart and see how tiny this is.

So, best advice is not to use any filters at all unless it's absolutely unavoidable or unless you can very effectively hood or flag that front element. If you don't do this and shoot into the light, every speck of dust (on both sides of the filter and on your front element) will become glaringly obvious on screen.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #9
Trustee

very true tom - i've learnt the hard way in past.....

however, i would still feel much more comfortable with a filter on the front and the knowledge that i might have a dust problem, than not....

leslie
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

A couple of weeks ago, somebody posted this picture of his rig - I'd be interested to know where a French flag like this could be found, and how it is mounted to the V1? Certainly looks good, and does the job!
Attached Thumbnails
86mm narrow filter for v1?-c1.jpg  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
i work the other way around - i keep my wa on all the time, and only rarely take it off. hence my annoyance at the bad design aspect of sony's lens hood...

leslie
I generally leave my wide angle on as well. However, the Sony .08 (the lens designed for the V1) has it's own sunshade included. If I'm not using that sunshade, then the mattebox attached to the camera manages light over the wide. IMO, if you're shooting outdoors with a wide, you generally need a flag over the lens as opposed to just a shade anyway.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Clever idea. Is that french flag being held in place with a strip of velcro?
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Major Player

I want one of those french flags. Where can I get one?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
A couple of weeks ago, somebody posted this picture of his rig - I'd be interested to know where a French flag like this could be found, and how it is mounted to the V1? Certainly looks good, and does the job!
I'm also very interested where to find something like this! As I said, somebody posted the picture above o this forum (or was it A1's?), and I saved the picture but can't find the post/poster:)

EDIT: OK, I found it; it was Brian Rhodes:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....2&postcount=14

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 8th, 2007 at 03:02 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7