Apple Releases Final Cut Studio 2 w/ Final Cut Pro 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple Releases Final Cut Studio 2 w/ Final Cut Pro 6

I saw apple released the new software but i havent had time to read up on it to see if it supports the V1's 1080p24 ....does anyone know?
Trey Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Major Player

This is under "Supported Formats and I/O"

"Native long GOP MPEG-2 for HDV, including 1080i 50/60, 1080p 24/25/30, 720p 24/25"

Maybe it means yes.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i dont know because FCP 5 supports HDV 1080p24, but i read on here it doesnt support the V1U's 1080p24...i dont no the technical end of it so im waiting for someone to let me know if it supports it haha
Trey Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Major Player

V1 is not listed among the supported cameras.
However it seems all formats are supported, one can even mix formats in the same timeline.
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Blu ray support?

Anyone expert here can tell me whether new Compressor would support Blu ray format?
There is some info on that, but very basic and the text elsewhere always refers to HD DVD but weird enough related to blue laser...

I am a bit confused. Toast 8 supports blu ray, but the output from Final Cut should be in the correct format, right?
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #6
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
Anyone expert here can tell me whether new Compressor would support Blu ray format?
There is some info on that, but very basic and the text elsewhere always refers to HD DVD but weird enough related to blue laser...
The presentation was so packed with new product intros -- that NO details were presented. None. It's not clear the booth boys will know specifics either. This is a huge release!

Looking at the specs -- 720p50 is not supported nor is 1080i60/24p. The V1 really is not 1080p24. Looks like 25p and 30p will be the choice for low temporal rate shooting.

No mention of HOW video is converted to ProRes 4:2:2. RT conversion during capture? Post capture via batch? Only via AJA box that has an ASIC chip?

But despite these issues given the $1300 price, including Color, I don't see how any NLE is going to compete except when it sells to it's own installed base -- or to someone who refuses to buy a Mac.

PS: The supplied clips of 5.1 audio are such a great idea. And the 5.1 panner is so well implemented. The audio dissolve is a direct copy of Vegas.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
The presentation was so packed with new product intros -- that NO details were presented. None. It's not clear the booth boys will know specifics either. This is a huge release!

Looking at the specs -- 720p50 is not supported nor is 1080i60/24p. The V1 really is not 1080p24. Looks like 25p and 30p will be the choice for low temporal rate shooting.

No mention of HOW video is converted to ProRes 4:2:2. RT conversion during capture? .
Here is one method..albiet expensive one:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/action/?movie=aja
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
HD DVD is blue laser. Apple has already supported HD DVD. I use Compressor to make red laser HD DVDs.
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
HD DVD is blue laser. Apple has already supported HD DVD. I use Compressor to make red laser HD DVDs.
Yes Steve, I know my FCP supports HD DVD. Having no HD DVD burner on the market, I have just ordered a blu ray burner with Toast 8, so I will be able to burn...something. But I still have no idea what is the format of choice for output from FCP (or Compressor) if I want to burn a proper blu ray disk.
Could you please tell me if you know? Thanks in advance.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Yes Steve, I know my FCP supports HD DVD. Having no HD DVD burner on the market, I have just ordered a blu ray burner with Toast 8, so I will be able to burn...something. But I still have no idea what is the format of choice for output from FCP (or Compressor) if I want to burn a proper blu ray disk.
Could you please tell me if you know? Thanks in advance.
The problem with BD is that the discs you can burn yourself can only be played by a few BD players.

Moreover, the software you use makes a difference. If you use DVDit, then ONLY the Panasonic can play your discs.

For these reasons I'm avoiding BD and working with HD DVD.

In any case you need a an authoring package -- I use Movie Factory 6 which also does the burning. I will not put Toast on any systems as in burys itself into the OS.
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Roxio DVDit Pro HD working better now...

Steve,

Actually recent a recent firmware update makes the Sony player work with Roxio BD-RE discs. There was also a firmware update for the PS3 that was supposed to make BD-RE work, but it still didn't.

However, Roxio just released a patch a couple of days ago for the PS3 and the Samsung with which you update one dll and then you can burn discs that definitely work in PS3 with full functionality, menus/chapters, rewind/fast forward and so forth. And my F350 footage edited in Premiere Pro with the MainConcept MPEG2 plug-in looks, to my eye, incredible on the PS3.

I can't vouch for the Roxio patch's success with the Samsung player however.

So that means that DVDit now burns BD-RE discs that will play in the Panasonic, the Sony player, the PS3 and I believe the Pioneer. And supposedly Samsung. That pretty much covers it as long as everything has the most recent firmware.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Steve,

You're using Compressor so you must be MAC. Is Movie Factory 6 for the MAC? It looks like it's PC only. I'd like to hear your workflow for doing this.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland View Post
Steve,

Actually recent a recent firmware update makes the Sony player work with Roxio BD-RE discs. There was also a firmware update for the PS3 that was supposed to make BD-RE work, but it still didn't.

However, Roxio just released a patch a couple of days ago for the PS3 and the Samsung with which you update one dll and then you can burn discs that definitely work in PS3 with full functionality, menus/chapters, rewind/fast forward and so forth.

So that means that DVDit now burns BD-RE discs that will play in the Panasonic, the Sony player, the PS3 and I believe the Pioneer. And supposedly Samsung. That pretty much covers it as long as everything has the most recent firmware.

Tip
Thank you. But, I'm confused as you tie Roxio together with BD-RE.

The firmware, I assume, was to enable $1000 Sony BD player to read BD-RE because they didn't used to.

But you say it didn't do anything for the PS3 -- which is odd because I thought the PS3 has always been able to read BD-RE.

I'm not sure what the role of Roxio is in regards to the firmware. And, what has that got to do with DVDit?
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #14
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Steve,

You're using Compressor so you must be MAC. Is Movie Factory 6 for the MAC? It looks like it's PC only. I'd like to hear your workflow for doing this.
Parallels lets me run any PC software on my Mac.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #15
Major Player

Roxio, BD-RE and Sony

Steve,

A bit of an equation of multiple variables so to speak. Perhaps what needed to be mentioned, mea culpa, was that I'm referring to BDMV discs rather than BDAV or data discs.

First, Roxio makes the DVDit line, so that ties them together, but I bet you know this.

Everything I make with Roxio would have to be on BD-R or BD-RE but I'd have to be nuts to experiment on BD-R, so that ties Roxio/DVDit to BD-RE.

DVDit Pro HD, since as far as I know only makes BDMV disc would not create a BD-RE that would play in the $1,000 Sony player, until a recent firmware upgrade by Sony. Sony's change was all it took and now Roxio-created BDMV/BD-RE's play, or so I've read.

The PS3 may have played BD-RE data discs, but not the BDMV discs with menus and so forth that DVDit makes. A recent firmware upgrade supposedly enabled the BDMV discs, but those made by Roxio/DVDit still wouldn't play. Then Roxio issued a patch and the BDMV BD-RE discs now play wonderfully.

By the way, I must add that I always read and enjoy your posts. Thanks for your many vital contributions over the time I've been reading this forum.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7