Can Z1 record from PC using firewire cable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Can Z1 record from PC using firewire cable?

Can the Z1 record from my PC using the firewire cable? The manual (page 98) suggests that you CAN under the heading "To import pictures from the computer to your camcorder."
No luck for me though.

Here's what I want to do...I have Flight Simulator running on the PC and I would like to capture the screen real-time movement. The PC isn't fast enough to use a software capture program without dropping tons of frames.
I need to capture at HDV resolution.

Using the Z1 would be ideal. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
By the way, I do have two pc's side by side if there was a way to feed one pc output to the other which could record it.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I know you can playback video from an edit system (e.g. Premier Pro, Vegas, etc.) into the Z1, but I don't know how you would do what you want to do from a non-editing program.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Nope, firewire doesn't work like that with camcorders. It is used to exchange data with your editing software, not to capture screen activity.

If you have an LCD monitor you could just try filming the screen and see how that looks...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Chris......

If your graphics card has a secondary Component O/P and your Z1 has Component I/P you may be able to clone what appears on your main screen onto the Z1 that way.

I can do it with my Matrox Parhelia and Matrox PowerDesk software, not up with other makes of cards.

If your current card won't do it, a cheap second card with Component out can be configured to clone the primary screen via Windows.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

A faster CPU is the most practical solution. You can get a quad core CPU, motherboard and memory for dang near $200 nowadays.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys for your input, been away and just got back.
I'll check out the component idea but I'm pretty sure the Z1 has component out but not 'IN'.
I haven't got the camera to hand right now but will check it out an post back.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'll check out the component idea but I'm pretty sure the Z1 has component out but not 'IN'.
I think you will be able to. Try setting the camera to VCR mode and mess around with the IN/OUT settings in the menu. I used to do that a lot in high school with a Canon GL2 and a Sony VX2100...never got to try it on a Z1U.
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalberto Lopez View Post
I used to do that a lot in high school with a Canon GL2 and a Sony VX2100...never got to try it on a Z1U.
Sorry, you are thinking of composite video, not component video. The GL2 and VX2100 do not support component video at all. On the Z1, component video is only available for output, not input. You can use composite video as you describe, but it will be low quality analog standard definition.

The only way to get high definition footage into the Z1 is to shoot it with the lens or capture it from your editing software via firewire.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Boyd, yes, I meant composite, not component.
Well, here's the bottom line. I've had to order the Hauppauge HD PVR High-Definition Video Recorder for £159 which will do what I want. Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow and solve the problem.
Anyway, thanks for all your input, most appreciated.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1