Sony Z1 and FX1 various questions 2004 - 2005 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 8th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #61
MPS Digital Studios

Hey, no sweat! We all get bogged down with projects! I was supposed to have a little book with my scripts out now, but between hurricanes, work, my next film and more, it's on hold...

heath
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #62
Major Player

who's seeing Z1 at DV Expo?

Hi folks...

There's interest in cf25 and 50i most possibly offering a distinct advantage over 1080/60i... hope some of our members can get close enough to a real Z1 to "flick the switch" and get a sense if there's an appreciable difference between the formats when hooked up to a big HD monitor...

Er, Good Luck!

Have fun!

Pls. find out about "black stretch" - are the new and improved features reall worth all that extra moolah?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #63
Major Player

lux rating and resolution on the FX1?

I was just wondering if the lux rating and the resolution of the camera are related, specifically when addressing the FX1 light performance to DV cameras.

It seems to me that the FX1 is sampling at roughly 4.5x the resolution of DV camera. Basic signal averaging tells me if I have a device (CCD) with a given sensitivity and gain, that when I bundle groups of the pixels together, not only am I downsampling, but signal averaging. In which case I would expect the noise of the downsampled image to be smaller by a factor of ~2.1 (i.e., sqrt(4.5))

When people are comparing the low-light performance of the FX1 with other cameras, are they taking this into consideration and comparing noise levels at similar resolution or not?

While ultimately the absolute noise levels at the HDV resolution will be of most interest to people, when comparing across cameras (and codecs) this kind of information seems essential to me... especially if someone were to choose one camera over another on this specification.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #64
Inner Circle

I am not sure if the effect you bring up is the reason but with my FX1, on automatic shots in a theatre lighting ( read dark ) the HDV image is a lot better( cleaner, image stands out somehow) than the DV image both viewed on my 4x3 i'Art 24" TV via the composite output from the FX1 ( the FX1 is downconverting the HDV image for output as is the DV image converted to composite). The difference is even more on my Sony 27HS420, HiScan 4x3 1080i TV ( again composite input, with component input of course the TV will switch to 1080i then there is no comparison as the HDV image is startly). DV was also shot in 16x9 so that the images were the same size on the screens.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #65

More HDV for you to download

If you'd like to download some high-action surfing in NTSC, we've uploaded a few files. We've got a lot more, but the PAL footage taught us we need to be bandwidth-prudent.
So, some FX1 footage in various modes, is up there now.
http://www.vasst.com/HDV/FX-1_images-Surfers.htm

The PAL footage is there too, on the same page as before.
We'll put up Z1 footage as soon as Sony gives us the go-ahead.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:47 AM   #66
Regular Crew

That looks amazing!

thanks for that link.
George Zabetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM   #67
Tourist

lightcompensating Fx1

Have anyone with the FX1 had any problems with the manual iris.On my camera it has a tendency to switch to auto even though it is on manual.I haave checked that the auto gain is turned of.I dont know what to do about this. At some occations the autofocus is not working when I want it to work.Any ideas?
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:56 PM   #68
Major Player

You will need to also put the shutter on manual, and gain on manual in order for full iris control.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:26 AM   #69
Major Player

Will the HVR-Z1 Match The HDR-FX1?

well,

i am either buying another HDR-FX1 or I will Wait it out untill the HVR-Z1 is released. but my concern is if the two cameras will match during a shoot? it will be a waste if i cant use the two together. so, should i get a second HDR-FX1 or go pro?

thanks,

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:43 AM   #70
Obstreperous Rex

See my FX1 - Z1U comparison chart at http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php.

They share the same CCD block, lens and DSP. There's no reason why they wouldn't match each other perfectly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 12:25 PM   #71
New Boot

FX1/Z1 and filters

Admittedly to my uneducated eyes, I'm looking at the available pictures of the FX1 and the Z1 and wondering if there's room for at least a simple UV filter behind the lens hood/cover contraption. Can anyone who has had hands-on experience share the love? Thanks!
Jared VanLeuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Yes, there's room for 1 filter with the hood installed. I leave a UV filter on it most of the time. I've also used a polarizer.
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #73
Major Player

Could somebody shoot a resolution chart with slow shutter speeds?

Without and with CF, please!
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #74
Trustee

Z1 info. on this link

Hey all, I got this link from another site.....it's Z1 info. translated from French. This guy apparently got a Z1 in the mail.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Murph
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #75
Regular Crew

FX1 50i Nikon-lens movie clips

I have added some very short movie to my page

www.eidomedia.com/hdv

You can download them until the hosting site doesn't close for too bandwith used... If someone want to offer a bigger Bandwith/diskspace I'll appreciate a lot.. Feel free to copy

Matteo
Matteo Ricchetti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1