Record to JVC 30000U DVHS from FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Record to JVC 30000U DVHS from FX1?

I have a refurbished JVC 30000U and will definitely be buying the Sony FX1. I know the 30000U can handle 1080i, 720P, 480P and 480i and in the "HS" mode the bit rate is 28 Mbps, but does anybody out there forsee any problems transferring footage from the FX1 to the 30000U via the firewire?

Thanks,
Aldo.
Aldo Erdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Aldo,

I would go out on a limb and bet that the FX1 will work with any D-VHS deck including those by JVC.

I'm sure the HDV standard included the firewire connections on the cameras and so far the JVC has been 100% on the D-VHS side from information I've read.

On a side note that I pointed out with the HD1, they also will connect to firewire (I.link) capable HDTVs especially those by Sony.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Yes, the JVC DVHS (30k and 40k models) can handle both 720p and 1080i.

heath
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #4
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Troy Lamont : Aldo,

I would go out on a limb and bet that the FX1 will work with any D-VHS deck including those by JVC.

I'm sure the HDV standard included the firewire connections on the cameras and so far the JVC has been 100% on the D-VHS side from information I've read.

On a side note that I pointed out with the HD1, they also will connect to firewire (I.link) capable HDTVs especially those by Sony.

Troy -->>>

It will only work if HDV format uses the same type ot transport stream as DVHS. Having firewire means nothing if recording format is different.
Chris Szypulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Chris,

That is not true at all. I have dubbed many things from HDV to D-VHS with no problems, via firewire or component video, including uprezzing to 1080i.

heath
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
It will only work if HDV format uses the same type ot transport stream as DVHS. Having firewire means nothing if recording format is different.
They do use the same protocol. That's one of the main selling points of JVC HD Universe. HD10->30K and vice versa.

Troy
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I believe the DVHS is the same mpeg2-ts as HDV, hence the ease of use.

heath
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I read somewhere else that they do not share the same transport stream and this may prohibit the use of a DVHS out, at least direct from the camera.

720p uses TS or "transport stream." 1080i uses PES, or "packetized elementary stream." I have absolutely no idea what that means other than the author maintained that the DVHS is not compatable with this type of encoding.

Since I am in the process of putting together a DV, wait, scratch that, HDV edit solution and am leaning toward Avid at the moment, Avid contends that they have developed thier own HD codec that will decode any inbound HD format and output to anything you desire. I would assume that would include DVHS as I would also assume all the other NLEs will be doing much the same thing.
Mike Gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

One thing I did think of with the FX1 (1080i)--HDV2 (the HD10/HD1, 720p, is HDV1)--may NOT be compatible with DVHS, but I doubt it.

heath
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #10
Major Player

The FX1 conforms to the HDV standard and therefore it will be compatible with D-VHS in either 720p or 1080i.

Troy
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #11
CineForm (Aspect HD)

You may want to be careful about making such absolute statements unless you have a camera and DVHS deck to test that against.
Phil Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
You may want to be careful about making such absolute statements unless you have a camera and DVHS deck to test that against.
I'd bet my HD1 on it! Any takers? :)

Troy
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Other than the 1080i60 feature, I'm almost positive it will be compatible with DVHS. Same transport stream as HDV. But we won't know 100% until the camera comes out, of course.

heath
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Well I'll eat those words!

Quote:
Which means the FX1’s i.LINK output cannot be recorded to D-VHS. Moreover, Sony has already acknowledged the FX1 is will not be compatible with Blu-ray DVD recorders. Sony’s Masashi Imamura stated, “I, personally, definitely want to realize the ability to record HDV on Blu-ray. We are working hard towards this but there are many copyright issues and many technical issues, but I think we can come to a resolution at some point in the near future.”
I guess the HDV standard isn't really all that much of a standard afterall!?

Personally I think Sony really, really dropped the ball on this one! I mean no Blu-Ray either!!!!!!

I won't be getting into the FX1 until I can at least record it Blu Ray, by that time I'm sure another model or two might be introduced. As a part of my future forward thinking it was good to know that because of the TS nature of the HD1 I could at least record to Blu-Ray disk (or possibly HD-DVD) in the short term future. No dice with the FX1.

This also means it can't connect via I.Link to their HDTV sets for direct digital viewing. Talk about rushing the job! Tsk Tsk

Horrible move Sony!

Troy

Info courtesy of Steve Mullen via his FX1 pre-review
Old September 28th, 2004, 05:20 AM   #15
Trustee

Hey Heath, over at Mullen's site he says the FX1 can't be recorded to the D-VHS deck.

"....FX1’s i.LINK output cannot be recorded to D-VHS."

Take a look:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvcnyc/Sony%20HDR-FX1.htm

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1