"AV Multimedia Producer Magazine" talks about "Pro" version of FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 29th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Trustee

"AV Multimedia Producer Magazine" talks about "Pro" version of FX1

Hey all, I just got my copy of the latest "AV" magazine. Here are a few quotes in regards to the "Pro" version.

"With the release of the consumer model first, we have a great opportunity to get feedback from users that we can use to develop features on the professional model", Bob Ott (Vice Pres of Marketing)

They also mention in the article that they're expecting "Pros" to buy the consumer version, and then be the ones who suggest features in the "Pro" one. That's making me think I'll hold my cash for a while. Why buy a $4000 camera to help with R&D on something you'll buy immediately after your first purchase! If they have a buy back option sure...80% value on your FX1? We could buy the FX1 and trade it up for a "Pro" one!

Other specs: The "Pro" version will have SMPTE time code, and the consumer one won't. It says the "Pro" will record DVCAM, have balenced audio.

Also, strangely it says "....both cameras are compatible with Avid, Apple, Pinnacle and Sony's own Vegas.." It then says that "Pro" users can't call and ask questions and get the right answers right now. "Once the Pro model is released there will be a hotline released that you can call and get answers readiliy available."

It mentions that shooting a footback flying across a stadium "will be a nice long, smooth shot."

It says the HDR-FX1 will be shipping next month, and to keep checking their publication for more information on the "Pro" version!

Murph
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Contributor

I read the same article. Seems to me that Sony is trying to get people to buy this camera and find all the problems so they can then fix it for the pro version. Here, Sony, take my money, pleeeeeze... Sheesh.

The part about following a football was an attempt to justify shooting interlaced vs. progressive, since the camera does not do progressive. Maybe the professional one will, but who knows.

I'm underwhelmed by this camera. When the VX1000 first came out, it too was a non-professional camera, but pros bought it anyway because the quality was, at that time, good enough so you would work around its deficiencies. And DV was a whole new thing. Suddenly there was a camera that was small, inconspicuous and cheap but with good enough quality to intercut with professional stuff. So people bought it. But now, why would anybody buy this HDV camera knowing that the better version will be out soon? Doesn't make sense to me. I can see amateurs who have money to burn getting it because they have HD TVs, but after reading that article, I'm thinking, "Duh...you want me to buy this not-quite-really-there camera and tell you what's wrong with it so you can sell me a good one in a year?" I don't think so.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill,

I agree, there are bound to be bugs on the first issues of this model. I think that holds true for any new camera - just look at the issues people are having over on the XL-2 threads.

I also agree with the first post in that it wouldn't be wise to jump on the FX1 until we know what the pro version will do - at least on paper - and for what price.

From the wild speculation department, we know the pro will not have 24p because it's not part of the HDV format. But what if it included 24p while shooting in SD. Perhaps that's why the FX1 was designed to shoot both HDV and DV. Without a progressive frame rate choice, there are not many reasons to buy this camera and shoot in SD mode. Putting 24p to DVCAM gives them that much of an edge over Panasonic and Canon and really would make the >$7k price attractive.
Mike Gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #4
Trustee

One thing I'd like to know is the "DVCAM" thing. Will it take full-size DVCAM tapes? I mean, if so...we're looking at 3 hour tapes for uninterupted meetings etc.

Anyone know if it's small-sized DVCAM tapes?

Murph
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

It is Mini-DVCAM. It's not full-size.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

>.we know the pro will not have 24p because it's not part of the HDV format.<<
24p isn't part of the SD DV spec either, but it's here.

They could do like Pana, shoot 24p and convert to 60i in camera, which keeps within the HDV spec.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

"CineFrame24 and 30 Mode This is an attempt by Sony to cater to those independent filmmakers seeking the "film look" with a 24 frames-per-second progressive scan shooting mode. Although the HDR-FX1 does not have a true 24P or 30P filming mode, the CineFrame24 and Cineframe30 modes replicate many of the motion artifacts and the "look" of 24P and 30P, respectively. The CineFrame 24P mode on the HDR-FX1 is enhanced over the 24P effect mode that some users will remember from Sony's DCR-PC350 because it does a 2:3:2:3 pull-down instead of a 2:3:3:2 pull down. When I tested the HDR-FX1's Cineframe24 mode, I did not see the same jerkyness that I found on the DCR-PC350. That is, although any 24P mode will have a certain jitter to it, the DCR-PC350 had an odd "beat" to its jitter that was unnatural. I wasn't able to identify any such "beat" on the HDR-FX1, and the footage looked noticeably better. I think that for the majority of users, the CineFrame24 mode will do a fine job of giving you that 24-frames progressive scan look, while still of course delivering HD resolution -- something the Panasonic AG-DVX100 and the Canon XL2 can't do!"

- http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-FX1-First-Impression-Camcorder-Review.htm
Charlie McCarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hy Charlie

It's impossible post a clip in Cineframe24 mode?

You tink it will be better shot in "cineframe24"or shot in 60i and after deiterlace??

Best regards

Gabriele
Gabriele Turchi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1