New Info about the Pro Version! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 21st, 2004, 07:29 AM   #31
Major Player

I dont see why 24P seems so unreasonable, i mean look at it from Sony's eyes:

at the end of the day its a ~1/3" progressive scan camera (big deal so is DVX and XL2).

here hoping i'm right :)
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:47 AM   #32
Major Player

Chris Hurd, how was dinner with DSE...

Were you guys able to compare notes? Also, pre-production models of FX1 are now circulating around US for journalist types to preview - will you guys be getting one to evaluate soon?

Did DSE remember anything about "true 24p?"
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM   #33
Regular Crew

This was posted on dvxuser.com, but I thought I'd post it here since it is relevant to this discussion:

"Like I said in my other post. I used a demo of the pro version of the Sony's HDV camera "Z1" or "PD190" (or whatever unofficial name you choose) last week. It does not have a true 24p function per se, BUT it does have a feature that is called "filmlook", a simulated 3:2 pulldown effect, that in 1080i looks every bit as "filmic" as the DVX's 24p feature.

The picture quality is quite impressive even when played back on a large HD screen. It is not indicative of the compression that this format has. Loads of detail in the blacks and a significantly greater dynamic grey scale range than the DVX. While its not in the same ballpark as a Varicam or Sony's HDCam, it comes long way from standard DV. The lens seems much sharper than the PD 170. Oh yes, it HAS a switchable recording function. This camera records in SD DV format too, as well as HDV. The switch is located right next to the record thumbswitch

They have added the XLR connectors to the pro version in approximately the same place as the DVX has them. The manual iris wheel is much improved. The 16:9 LCD screen is quite good. The overall metal construction of this camera seems like it will be much more durable than the DVX. Much less of a "plastic" feel.

I know some people here that probably haven't even touched this camera yet will strongly disagree, but overall, if it were available now, I would have bought this pro version of the FX1 vs the DVX100A. These are just MY subjective impressions after having actually shot with the camera. "
Joel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #34
Wrangler

Wouldn't larger CCDs make sense if Sony wanted to add 24p/30p and keep the same low light performance?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #35
Regular Crew

OK.. how does 1080p/24 fit in to the HDV specs?
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #36
Regular Crew

The Pro Version will have "720p (25/30p)" and not "1080i 24p"I read thet in a profession Magazine here in Italy,
the font of that article is a Sony Member.

Best regards

Gabriele
Gabriele Turchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #37
Major Player

what? 720p? I think we'll need a scan of that article!

720p is a big departure from Sony's HDV stance up until now, no? Gabriele, can you tell us what else the magazine says about the cam? Does it read like some sort of official preview type thing or more like a speculative, could-be-like-this-kind-of-camera type of article?

Screw copyright - I live in Canada and our Supreme Court got it right with the Music Download issue - we should host a scan of said article here and give credit where it's due - this is a matter of International Security and Human-kind Well-Being.

(Folks, I am trying to be funny with above paragraph - please do not take seriously - please take with grain of salt, read it sitting down etc.)

Okay, Gabriele, can you just re-read the article and tell us your interpretation of the WHOLE THING?

Er, can you translate article into English and read out loud and save into your computer as an mp3?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #38
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Gabriele Turchi : The Pro Version will have "720p (25/30p)" and not "1080i 24p"I read thet in a profession Magazine here in Italy,
the font of that article is a Sony Member.

Best regards

Gabriele -->>>

So this "PRO version" is going to have 1080i 60/25 AND 720p 60/25 ?? AND "inside" sources say true 24P ?? Dream on.
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Well, yes, it will most likely have Cineframe 24. Beyond that, we'll find out when it's released.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #40
Major Player

<<<-- So this "PRO version" is going to have 1080i 60/25 AND 720p 60/25 ?? AND "inside" sources say true 24P ?? Dream on. -->>>

More like 1080i 60/50......
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #41
Trustee

This is why Canon shuts up about products until they're ready to be released - at least then you know all rumors are BS.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #42
Regular Crew

This article is a Test about FX1,and it say:

..............this FX1 can shot in 1080i 50fps mode only...........the sony member as sayed that the Pro Model will have a switchable 50i/60i 1080 mode and 720p 25/30/50/60 mode!

There is a confermation about in that brochure:

http://www.sonybiz.net/cgi-bin/bvisapi.dll/includes/popupURL.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0368592844.1098980540@@@@&BV_EngineID=cadclkdffkggbemgcfkmcfjfdhl.0&su rl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sonybiz.net%2fimages%2feditorial%2fE%2fHDV_CAMCORDER0904E.pdf

you can see that in the picture there are all of kind of specif of HDV and that brochure is not a general brochure......... but display the features of the Pro model...........

Best regards

Gabriele
Gabriele Turchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #43
Regular Crew

The brochure simply lists the various specifications of the HDV format. It clearly states at the top right "1080i HDV" and under the features list of the camcorder "1/3" 1080i HD 3CCDs (16:9)"

Nowhere does it state the camera is switchable between the formats. It could be possible the VTR listed or maybe the camcorder can playback those formats. But clearly the camcorder records 1080i.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #44
Trustee

Exactly. Sony's cheapest HDCAM camera is interlace only too. So I don't know why people think that the new pro version of the FX1 would be progressive.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #45
Barry Wan Kenobi

I don't think there's been any credible confirmation about any of the progressive-scan speculation.

If people are getting the idea the pro version will be progressive-scan from this brochure, I think that's a very mistaken assumption. The brochure is talking about the entire HDV format, and the deck advertised in the brochure will be able to play back all of those formats. But that doesn't mean the camera will be able to shoot 720p or any type of progressive scan.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1