Sony FX1 already SOLD OUT in Canada - no more till next year! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 25th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony FX1 already SOLD OUT in Canada - no more till next year!

Hi folks...

okay, I know this post is gonna sound so gossipy but oh well...

My boss who has very GOOD relationship with Sony Broadcast Canada was at Corporate HQ on Friday on other business - just for kicks, he asked to the see the FX1 and boy, did they show it off - they were all smiling like Cheshire cats cos they know they got the camcorder world by the cajones... My boss said it was hooked up to HD display and it looked amazing, etc. etc.

But anyhow, I digress...

Straight from Camcorder Product Manager: Sony Canada has already sold-out their Canadian allocation till next calendar year through pre-orders at the Sony Style Canada website (www.sonystyle.ca) - some dealers will get "one" or "two" here or there so they can say they had it in stock, etc. but basically, the camera's already sold-out and unless you committed early with an "order" you're not gonna luck out...

There's already a back-order situation and people are going to have to wait. It's craziness. Unless you're one of the "chosen few" you'll have a tough-go being an early adopter - well, surprise surprise, I guess... Dealers might have one to show you in Nov. but basically they'll tell you: "Sorry, can't get one for awhile..."

I noticed here in these forums a lot of mention about ordering from Canada so I thought I'd share these latest developments.

Oh, by the way, Sony Canada will happily continue to take your order as if nothing's up - but you'll be wondering come Nov. 8 where your cam is...
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Not surprising, and entirely believable. As I've stated earlier, Sony's biggest problem with this camera will be... meeting the demand for it!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Hmmm, although I'm in Japan, I'm surprised and have to thank the dealer to provide me one at the last minute, then.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FX1 already SOLD OUT in Canada - no more till next year!

Well... Thats interesting because I called Sony Style here in Canada and they said that infact any orders taken right now would "definetly" be available middle of November.

Are they lying?

I've called The Sony Store here in Ottawa to double check and I'm waiting to hear back.

But Sony STyle said that they infact will be available, and that the warehouse supplies may be sold out but companies will have product to sell...

I've love to know what the truth of the matter is!

-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Sony FX1 already SOLD OUT in Canada - no more till next year!

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Pappas : Well... Thats interesting because I called Sony Style here in Canada and they said that infact any orders taken right now would "definetly" be available middle of November.

Are they lying?

I've called The Sony Store here in Ottawa to double check and I'm waiting to hear back.

But Sony STyle said that they infact will be available, and that the warehouse supplies may be sold out but companies will have product to sell...

I've love to know what the truth of the matter is!

-alex -->>>

In Montreal we have a Sony reseller called SonoVideo, they rent pro equipment and sell pro/semi-pro. They said they will have enough FX1 in 2 weeks to fill all orders without any problems.
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #6

Hey Mark...

Do you work for Sony, or what?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Major Player

I wish - I'd have the cam by now.

Yeah, and I'd make sure it was "customized" to have true 24p...

and xlr's.

and black...

I called around today too on a whim and my reliable independent dealer guy still seemed pretty certain his FX1's would be showing up no sweat... who knows - we've run into this sort of situation up here before with the PD-170...

It could just boil down too to the fact that Sony hasn't been this excited about something in Camcorderland in a long time and rightfully so...

The date on sonystyle.ca has already been "pushed back" once - it used to read "Nov. 1st" availability up until about a few weeks ago - now it's been holding at "Nov. 8th."

Here's hoping - I'm on that "pre-order" list - although I'm not so sure now after seeing that cineframe 24/30 seems to be a complete and utter dud....?

I guess the good news is people here will report when they get/don't get their cams soon enough...

Sony, hire me. Don't pay me with money. Pay me in CineAlta's.
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #8
Wrangler

Re: I wish - I'd have the cam by now.

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : I guess the good news is people here will report when they get/don't get their cams -->>>

Then they will follow up with all the bug reports ;-) Seriously, this sounds like an amazing camera and something I may very well want for myself. But you guys are a lot braver than I am in ordering the first batch of new cameras. I can wait until after I hear from you early adopters about all the quirks...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Don't know If anyone is interested but I went into the Sony Store today and pre-ordered the camera with no problems.

Now, what Sony is saying is that all cameras are sold out for the official launch date which is the 7th... (or 8th.. its late, I can't remember..)

But right now there is a backorder of 2 people in Easter Canada... And your's truly is that number two guy....

So I don't think it will be a problem getting any equipment for November. IF .. And thats a big IF you put money on it now.

But I dont see there being any shortage... You might have to wait an extra two weeks or so.. But thats about it!

-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Alex, I ordered mine from Bleekers in September. They rang last week to update me on the projected delivery date as 19 Nov. It was originally 8 Nov.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #11
Major Player

er, Nov 19... 2004?

You shoulda asked!!!
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Apparently there are 50 units coming to all of Canada on the 1st order. Nov 8th or whenever they actually pass QA.
We have 4 units coming (hopefully) although all our units will be put into rentals as far as I know.
FWIW thought I'd pass it along. The Pro versions should be available by late Jan 2005.

Brian Broz
www.llsr.com
Brian Broz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Nice...

The more I read this form, the more I am convinced that we should (ie, shooould) be ok for getting models in for a November time frame.

Does anyone know how many pre-orders have gone threw in Canada for the FX 1 model?

-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #14
Major Player

My dealer is the largest Pro dealer in Canada and he doesn't report a shortage.

Delivery is still not confirmed, except to say the end of the month of November.

Too bad, I have a shoot in the Phillipeans in mid November, and it would look great in HD.

Looks like the XL2 will get the job.

DBK
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Darren.

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1