To find out how HDV will do for chromakey.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 1st, 2004, 03:06 AM   #1
Trustee

To find out how HDV will do for chromakey....

I'm working on a business for Reflecmedia with the Japanese distributor right now and they kindly provided a set for us to test this week.

I will shoot some stuff with this set and provide all of you the chromakey ready m2t file to play around with whatever NLE software you use.

I'm not that specialized in shooting chormakey ready footage but this system seems to require minimum knowledge. But of course with the help of people with the specialized knowledge, people in every level might find it valuable. I will shoot and provide the footage with not much experience in shooting blueback and we will see how much improvement we can make by getting information from you.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:23 AM   #2
Major Player

I will gladly test in Vegas 5

Since Vegas natively handles m2t's and has half-decent chromakeyer, I suppose this could be one of the "purest" ways to assess the feasibility of chromakeying m2t's so far... I guess I could also try somehow "downconverting" to avi to bring into adobe after effects with keylight plugin...

man, one thing's for sure - the software support for this hdv stuff is going to have to come around.

On a whim, I rendered out in vegas from m2t>mpeg2 NTSC video stream in one go and burned to DVD and compared to m2t>NTSC avi>mpeg2 NTSC video DVD and boy, was there a difference with the former looking visibly superior to the latter! I'm convinced the less "converting" the better - okay, I know the Cineform stuff is supposed to be way cool but I'll be signing up for a trial once I get my HDR-FX1 and there's a trial download that's FX1 ready...
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:29 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Kaku: reflecmedia has a very interesting product. I've seen it
demonstrated a couple of times, impressive. Let us know how
your tests go and how you like there product please. Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:44 AM   #4
Trustee

I placed a 38.5MB m2t file with blueback created with Reflecmedia.

Please note that, although I had some association with few jobs that I helped, this is my first time to shoot for chromakey.

I had a couple of lights from the front spreaded apart for about 1.2 meters to each other. So, it was very simple, just the matter of generally getting decent lighting and spread the Chromaflex, placed the LiteRing on HDR-FX1 and adjust the amount of blue light and shoot.

If your software does not have good chromakey plug-in, the try out the mattenee in your software. You can download the demo version.

I would like to than Mr. Nagai from HONJO & Co.,, Reflecmedia and Mr. Nakamura from VideoAlfa for this opportunity.

This file is shot in a typical bedroom (more American size, not Japanese size) at CreativeSuite.

And the most of all, I'd liked to thank chacha for her cooperation. chacha/cocoon
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Kaku: that's one of the nice things about reflecmedia, it doesn't
require "traditional" blue/green screen lighting (as you know)!

Where did you place that file?

Old November 1st, 2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Oh the same kakugyo folder on HDVinfo.net

http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/kakugyo/
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can someone post a frame grab of this for me to try it out? I'm in college right now studying to be a visual effects compositor, so I wanted to give it a try.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Dainel,

Maybe I shoould convert it to numbered picts format for a short time.
It would involve some encoding scheme but does any one have good idea for the workflow on Mac?
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well, all I would need is a Bitmap of a frame. I have been able to successfully pull professional level keys from DV with hair and motion blur, I just want to be able to do it from HDV as well.

Kaku, I'm not sure if you already knew this, but it helps to turn the sharpness level down to zero, or possibly even down to -2. Edge Enhancement on cameras can be extremely problematic for blue/greenscreen composites. But you probably already knew that.
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:18 PM   #10
Major Player

I'll give it a try on Tuesday...

okay, folks - I'll get a shot at doing this on Tuesday afternoon, EST.

Wow - sounds exciting - anybody get a PAL FX1E yet?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

I did a small test with Vegas 5 and the builtin Chroma Keyer and
it worked PERFECT (after setting the low and high sliders futher
to the middle and near eachother and adding some softening).

Thanks Kaku!

p.s. it would probably be better to do it with green since MPEG2
also favors that sampling as does DV.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:06 AM   #12
Trustee

Rob,

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, we are provided only with the medium size blue LiteRing for now, but I will talk to HONJO & Co., to provide me the green one.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM   #13
Trustee

I also did a quick down-and-dirty bluescreen key using PremierePro 1.5's own keyer. Worked well. I'm sure Ultimatte would be even better, but I haven't had the time.

This positive result is all the more interesting as I saw a slight blue halo that contoured the singer's body in the original footage posted, so my initial thought was that the bluescreen will not be good. But it was.

Thanks Kaku!

By the way: I operated with the footage by simply renaming the m2t file into mpg and then importing into PPro.

My usual trick that I employ with JVC video files - making a Program Stream mpg out of the original m2t using HDTV2MPEG utility - did NOT work this time. Apparently, HDTV2MPEG does not like something (resolution? GOP structure?) in FX1's m2t files...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Can someone please post a frame for me to try as well?
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM   #15
Trustee

Daniel,

chachastill.png is the file you've been waiting for.

This file was captured with Lumiere HD (m2t), converted with MPEGstream to Blackmagic uncompressed HD 8bit file and saved as still withing Final Cut Pro HD's save as QuickTime function.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1