FX1 Film Transfer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 14th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I need to know how was your setting, export final resolution of 2016 X 864 ?

how you did the strecht vertically?

ciao
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Why the surprise?

Maybe I'm dense or something but I read all this stuff about progressive mode, Panasonic and JVC, but doesn't Panasonic use interlace ccd's and do a pulldown in the camera software? The way I see it Sony captures more information in the 1080i in the FX1 and Z1 and then uses Vegas software to putll that down and it is working with higher resolution images. What, if anything (and I don't see anything), makes pulldown in the camera superior to pulldown in the computer?

At NAB I saw beautiful 24p footage played out frame-by-frame with no artifacts. Each frame was clean and clear 24p footage. Now to hear that it can be put to film better than other DV cameras doesn't suprise me at all. I'll be the first person to admit I'm not a techie. Am I missing something?
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Waters
but doesn't Panasonic use interlace ccd's and do a pulldown in the camera software?
No, they use genuine progressive-scan variable-frame-rate CCDs.

Quote:
What, if anything (and I don't see anything), makes pulldown in the camera superior to pulldown in the computer?
Because it's captured natively, progressively. It's not some sort of interlace blending thing going on in the camera, it's genuine discretely-captured progressive frames.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maheel Perera
How about sending the film reel to you?. I hope you will be able to view it at a theatre and report your findings.
Did anyone projected these film strips to large theater screen, compared them to regular feature films for quality, or digitally produced films by Lucas, Rodriguez, etc.?

Who cares how compares to DV. What is important is how it looks on theater screen.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I understand that shooting with an anamorphic lens would allow one to skip the stretch to aspect ratio step since the lens would be doing that instead.
Would that yield a better quality result since no generation loss would be necessary?
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I offered to send a copy of that transfer to some one who has access to a film projector. But I receive no request from any one. How ever I posted a copy to Eric Bilodeau a while back. Recently he has informed me that he has not get a chance to view it yet.

Comparing this to films produced by Lucas, Rodrigues..? Usig CineAlta?
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Jeff,

Using a 16:9 Ana on the FX1 would give you Cinemascope AR. It will defenetely be superior to the cropped and stretched image. But the problem is to find a suitable 16:9 adaptor to handle HDV resolution.
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #23
New Boot

Digitizing to PC in HDV format

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maheel Perera
I have transferred several clips from FX1 to 35 mm film.
Cool; maybe you could help me then with something that I thought should have been much simpler! :-/

I've got the Sony HDR-FX1E HDV Camera and a very nice and extremely expensive Dual CPU 3.2Ghz Pentium Xeon system running Windows XP and it has a couple of OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 ports.

Ok, so, I've gone and shot some nice footage in HDV format with my camera; now I want to digitize into my PC in HDV format. This is where the big 5 mile thick, 10,000 foot tall solid titanium wall gets thrown up in my face!

Windows XP will only recognize my camera if I switch the "i-Link Conv" menu option to "HDV -> DV" in which case it will only capture at DV 720x576 resolution. If I have the "i-Link Conv" option set to "Off" so that it will output as HDV, Windows Device Manager lists the camera as "Other Devices - AV/C Subunit" and it can't find any drivers for it anywhere.
I've search the net high and low looking for the existence of any drivers for the camera to connect at HDV, but none seem to exist!
I've even tried using Sony Vegas 6.0a which clearly specifies the FX1/FX1E as a supported product! But NO! It absolutely refuses to work in anything other than DV mode!

Can you possibly help me solve this problem?????????
Kevin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #24

Install the drivers by doing one of two things:
1. Download Service Pack 2. (I wouldn't)
2. Right click in AVCSubunit in Control Panel/System/Hardware
Choose Update Driver
Tell Windows you'll find the driver
Browse to Sound, Video, Game Controller drivers
Choose Sony/Sony DVHS device.
You'll be good to go.

Vegas can only rely on the driverset specified by Windows. Once you've done this, Vegas 6 will see the cam and capture. Be sure you are using the INTERNAL capture app for HDV
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Kewin,
If you have read my post you would see that I did not capture any footage from FX1. I transfered some footage posted on DV Info site and some clips from the Sony HDV Info,com.
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #26
Major Player

Maheel - Having been to Sri Lanka , I'm really impressed you're doing this there. I was just interested if you're doing this for the local ( SL and S. India ) film industry and if that's the case , what are your thoughts about your transfers , in terms of projected quality for professional features ? Most people don't know that most of the films currently made in the world come from your region , so that's got to be a good reason for developing the software but hasn't the digital projection tech begun to overtake the traditional film projection systems , esp. in smaller venues ? thanks Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Kurth,

Really glad to know that you have been to Sri Lanka. Yes , we are doing it here because we had to. You would know that the number of prints required to cover the entire island do not exeed 15, and the budget for a major theatrical production rarely exeeds US$ 100,000. So we had to find a system to keep the costs to a minimum.

We have transfered several commercials and two feature films since our inception in 2004. The quality,...... not trying to blow my own trumphet.... We did not get any complains. visit us @ www.dcinemanetworks.com

In SL we do not have any digital projection. In India, it is tatally a different story. But even in India there was a major feature released recently which was shot using a DVX 100. see www.mumbaixpress.com
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Michael,

great to know the third world cinema is getting strong.

im from brazil.

i have a short entirely made on HDV. 20minutes. how much it cost to do a transfer to 35mm cinemascope?

ciao
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Capturing HDV

For the instruction "Right click in AVCSubunit in Control Panel/System/Hardware" where is this in XP Pro?
Then browse in what directory to find "Sound, Video, Game Controller drivers" and the Sony driver?
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #30
Major Player

Maheel,

I'd be interested in what a feature would cost to transfer also.

Thanks

Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1