Looking for recommendations...filters, lens cleaner etc for Z1U. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 14th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Looking for recommendations...filters, lens cleaner etc for Z1U.

Hi, I have the Z1U and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for:

72mm filters? I need a UV for sure, but how about others? Can anyone tell me what company makes the best ones for an HDV camera?

Also, a "Pro" lens cleaner.....my lense is already dirty! I want one that won't scratch it and I can use multiple times. I've always used the cloth kind and they really suck bad....gets oil from your fingers on it.

My budget is around $200.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #2
Contributor

I put some alcohol on my hands to dissolve grease, just in case. Then, I sweep my lenses with air, using a blower (would love to use canned air but it's so expensive), and then I clean them with special lens cleaning tissue paper. It's not expensive and available at pro photo stores everywehere.

I understand cleaning fluid can be a good idea in combination with paper but a good cleaning fluid is VERY expensive, and alcohol can ruin some coatings so don't try pure alcohol or cheap cleaning fluids.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Ignacio!
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't use regular tissue paper. It will leave lint everywhere, and wood pulp paper fibers can be very harsh on glass, despite tissue paper's reputation of being soft. Don't use any type of reuseable cloth either. It will collect dust particles that you will end up grinding into the lens. Go to a camera store and get real lens cleaning tissue. I'm also one of those people who think you should NEVER blow on the lens. You'll just get tiny bits of spit and phlegm all over. Even if you can't see it. It's there, and dirt and dust will stick to it. You can use one of those squeezeable rubber bulbs, or better yet, compressed air. The real stuff is expensive, but you can get away with the stuff they make for cleaning out keyboards. Just make sure that you keep it level and test it a couple of times to clear the nozzle every time you use it. Otherwise, it could spray gunk all over the lens. The expensive stuff can do that too if you're not careful. If you've been real anal about getting all the grit off, you can feel safe polishing the lens with lens cleaner until all the residue is gone. Don't overdue it though. The compressed air should be enough to clean the lens most of the time. The only time you will need the cleaner and the tissues is if you get a smudge, like from a fingerprint.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Marco!
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #6
New Boot

What do you guys think of LCD protectors? Are they worth getting, and if so, which do you recommend?
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm just curious what people think of "Lens Pens". The camera shop I got my FX1 at says this is all they use. I haven't actually used mine yet (I left it at a friend's house accidentally), but they seem like a pretty handy tool.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Zeiss Lens Cloths

A video producer friend heard I was buying the Z1 and gave me a box of Zeiss Lens Cloiths (Pre-Mositened). They come 90 to a box and are little "wet packs" to be used only once. They say, "safely and quickly clean any lens, especially those with Zeiss anti-reflective multilayer coatings." I'm guessing these are the best since the lens is Zeiss.
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jasenn Robertson : What do you guys think of LCD protectors? Are they worth getting, and if so, which do you recommend? -->>>

Heh, I read this and wrote a long reply on LCD PROJECTORS. Thankfully I read your post again before hitting submit.

Anyway, no I don't know much about LCD protectors :)

Guess that wasn't very helpful, huh.

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Projectors

Actually, I'm interested in projectors also and the idea of using it for your HD monitor is interesting. I just read your aricle. It wasn't a wasted post.
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Re: Projectors

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Waters : Actually, I'm interested in projectors also and the idea of using it for your HD monitor is interesting. I just read your aricle. It wasn't a wasted post. -->>>

Cool, glad you liked the article!

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I've seen those Zeiss lens cloths at Wal-Mart in the optical section (usually at the front of the store) at a great price. Plus they have reusable micro clothes and lenses solutions for good prices. I think if you get the large bottle of lense cleaning solution, you get free refills. Works on you hands too if you don't want to use alcohol. I can second using the canned air from a computer store. Works great and can cool your beer too!
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1