Waiting for the Z2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM   #31
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : It's funny, these cameras have a huge shelf life for 6 months to a year, then the next one comes out with better features and BOOM, it's all over for the previous model. Though I doubt the Z1/FX1 will be buried any time soon, like the HD10 and HD1.

hwm -->>>

That said, I only sold my trusty old VX1000 and VX9000 in September last year - and got $ 1 400 and & $2 500 for them respectively! Their legendary status made them sought-after by wedding guys, and the VX1000 is still popular with underwater cameramen who own custom-built housings specifically for the camera. The VX9000 was bought by a guy over the phone, sight-unseen. He deposited the cash, and sent a courier to collect it. Funnily, I'd often have cameramen with PD 170's ask me what I'd shot that "film-like" footage on when they'd visit my edit suite. Next camera for the push will be my JVC500 - I plan to buy another HDV camera later this year - waiting to see what NAB uncovers.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM   #32
New Boot

You're gonna have a long wait for the next model - Sony will keep this around for a while, it's a great camera - they do this with innovative models, we are actually lucky to get the Z1 fairly close the the FX1 release, remember it was quite a long time after the VX1000 that they released the PD150 and the PD150 was around for a few years before the PD170 appeared. The Z1 is so high end that Sony will want to milk it for as long as they can, also they will not replace a pro model very quickly because it takes a while for their professional customer base to get kitted out with these things and they will not like it if Sony replace it too soon and accessories ect don't match models. Expect to see an update/facelift in maybe 18 months and a new model in maybe 2.5 - 3 years I think.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:06 PM   #33
New Boot

Bear in mind when making a decision between the Z1 and FX1 that pro models hold their value better than consumer models and are easier to sell.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:27 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Harris
Bear in mind when making a decision between the Z1 and FX1 that pro models hold their value better than consumer models and are easier to sell..
Who sells their cameras?

I still have every camera I've owned. It may not make much financial sense, but after spending that much time with a camera and bonding with her, I just can't ever bring myself to get rid of a camera.

I'll sell my wife before I sell one of my cameras.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:36 AM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

Now... that's what I call devotion, Bryan.

My old friend Michael Pappas changes cameras about as frequently as he changes socks. By keeping all of the boxes, packing material, etc., he could easily get about what he had initially paid for any particular camera and use that cash to buy into the next one.

Some people change up -- others don't -- different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Don't forget the tax considerations. If you use your camera in a business and are depreciating it, just be careful about how much you sell our camera for. If you sell it for more than the current depreciated value, you'll have to pay taxes on the difference. Gotta love the IRS.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM   #37
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan McCullough :
... I'll sell my wife before I sell one of my cameras. -->>>

this is really good one :)

any links or photos? ;)))))))))

filip
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:03 PM   #38
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan McCullough : Who sells their cameras?

I still have every camera I've owned. It may not make much financial sense, but after spending that much time with a camera and bonding with her, I just can't ever bring myself to get rid of a camera.

I'll sell my wife before I sell one of my cameras. -->>>

Bryan,

The thing on Ebay posting is pretty cut and dried, but I don't think Chris has ruled on posting a spouse in the Classifieds.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Items posted in Private Classifieds sell best if they're in new or like-new condition with original packing material and operator's instructions included!

Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

VX9000? Aren't we about 30 years away from that (since they update cameras every 5 years or so, the VX2100 notwithstanding)... ;-)

heath
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM   #41
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Items posted in Private Classifieds sell best if they're in new or like-new condition with original packing material and operator's instructions included! -->>>

Wow!! Bryan McCullogh's wife gets a make-over, and comes with a manual!!!

Quick someone make an outrageous offer on one of his old cameras, and he'll just have to sell the Missus!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Maybe we should all settle down before somebody's significant other takes a peak at this thread! Ah, what the heck. And Heath, where ya been? The VX9000 is old, old news, long since discontinued. I gave up on understanding camcorder model numbering conventions long ago...

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:57 PM   #43
Major Player

Hans (If you still follow the thread ;)

I would like to have insights from you after you tried either the FX1 or Z1. A lot of misconceptions seems to be floating over HDV. As it was said earlier in the thread, there's nothing like real-life experience. If I had relied on the first FX1 footage I saw, I would not even have bothered to check the camera in the first place but the camera did blew me away when I finally got my hands on it, oh yes it did...

There are perspectives ahead folks!
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM   #44
Contributor

Chris, I think the VX9000 was the PAL version of the DSR200, only it was strictly DV, not DVCAM. It looked the same as the 200.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:00 PM   #45
Obstreperous Rex

Bill: Thanks for the memory jog!

Eric: Even more thanks for bringing us back on topic!

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1