Tape choices for Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape choices for Z1

My Z1 is supposed to be shipped this week. I have a question before dropping a tape in it.

There seems to be 3 tapes referred in the discussions I've read. Digital Master is dual layer, the most expensive, about $17 and everyone online is currently sold out. The DVM63HD tape is recommended by Sony for HDV, apparently NOT dual layered but with a different lubricant., available online for about $13.25. Last is the regular Sony premium tape, about $6 individually, $4 in packets of 5.

I don't want to risk a $5,000 camera on a cheap tape but I also want to know what I can shoot regularly and in a pinch. I have a friend with an FX1 that just shoots premium all the time and says he never has a problem. My question is if I'm using the DVM63HD will the lubricant require using that all the time? Spot, you say you have shot several tapes, which ones? Is it OK to shoot anything as long as it is Sony? (I will definitely not mix brands but in one post there was an indication the DVM63HD is made by someone else.) I'd appreciate any answer.
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Trustee

I've been using DigitalMaster tapes myself and no problems at all. If there were I'd be pretty P.O.'ed paying that much.

There is a box of un-opened Sony Excellence tapes on my shelf and I've been trying to decide whether to use them. I probably will...
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I waited a month for the HDV tapes to show up in the UK but it doesn't look like they will.
The BBC recommend DVCAM tapes for HDV and DV but I had 2 boxes of the cheapo Sony MiniDV sat on the shelf and after hearing that others were using it without trouble, I took the plunge this week and started to use them up. As soon as I can, I want to move to straight-to-disk, in one form or another, anyway.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jerry,
TapeOnline.com has the 32/48 DigitalMaster in stock. I hear this tape will be discontinued for some reason. I prefer this size over the 63 for raw footage.

TapeOnline HDV
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We have been shooting HDV for over a year, and we have had excellent luck with Panasonic "master quality" tapes, specifically part #:

AY-DVM63MQ

$6.50 each if you buy 10 or more (from B&H at least).

Not a single drop-out in 20+ tapes, never had to clean the heads. We have even used some tapes twice with no problem.

This is with the JVC JY-HD10U, but I imagine the results would be similar with the Sony.

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1