Short Time-Lapse test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 7th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Short Time-Lapse test

Not so much relevant, or advice seeking, this is just a time-lapse test I did on my camera the other dusk. It seems that not a lot of HDV content is available, so I thought I'd put some out there. Note that the file is hosted by www.yousendit.com - so if you've got stuff you want to put up, this is a pretty cheap (as in free) and easy way to do it.

Here's a link (10 MB)
http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...X24TGUVU10VL4I

Details:
- Shot on an FX1 on 1080i for 7 minutes.
- Captured on CapDVHS.
- In After Effects a 1440x1080 composition was made (PA 1.33)
- Video was time stretched to 10s @ 60p
- Frame blending for the LAYER and for the RENDER was turned (note - this signal averages all frames, which results in a reduction of the noise per frame).
- Equalize filter (Photoshop mode) was applied at 50% to maintain brightness and increase colour saturation
- Video was rendered out to an uncompressed 1440x1080 60p avi file.
- Avi was taken into After Effects and compressed to WMV 8000 kbps @ 720 (60p) for web distribution.
- When video was played back I noticed a smudge on my lens and swore.

Additional notes: as the motion in general in this shot was smooth, and every frame was averaged, no deinterlacing was required. The raw 1440x1080 60p image was the cleanest video I've ever seen thanks to signal averaging, and any blocks or grain you see here is a direct result of the WMV compression.

Note: I also have the clip hosted online on a private server. If this link becomes unavailable, e-mail me and I'll send a direct link.
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks fantastic.

Time lapse is a wonderful effect, and the Sony camera (as well as your post process) work perfectly.

The only problem for me is how widespread it has become in documentary filmmaking. It is almost a visual cliche, however when it looks this good WHO CARES!

Can't imagine how sweet it would look on a projector.

Thanks for the demonstration.
Chris Jothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Awesome footage! Didn't really notice the smudge until you mentioned it.
Drew Mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Trustee

It is funny how clouds interest so many of us. Cheap talent? But still very interesting?

In any case, this was from the balcony in Acapulco, and I didn't notice the rain drop smudge until I was editing. It was the last thing I shot on that vacation or I would have known sooner.

I cropped it a bit in the corners to cover the fact that I messed up the composition of the shot by allowing part of the roof to intrude.

As I recall, it is over 30 minutes of video compressed into 30 seconds.

9.19MB and it is 1280X720 since that looks fine on my television, so there is no real need to have it full size.

http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0XALCOR805RUK2RZV7MFKBWVNN
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Nothing like time-lapsed clouds to show you smudges on the lens you'd likely have not noticed otherwise!

-Steve
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Very nice!

I'd like to see a pre-After effects sample before any manipulation, namely because I don't cuurently have After Effects and wonder what is would look like "raw".

Cheers!

Andrew Stone
A. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

what shutter speed and F-stop did you shoot at?
A. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #8
Major Player

Ask and ye shall receive:

3 raw frames (jpg compressed, but untouched otherwise)

http://s94963366.onlinehome.us/HDRFX1/sky.jpg
http://s94963366.onlinehome.us/HDRFX1/sky2.jpg
http://s94963366.onlinehome.us/HDRFX1/sky3.jpg

Mode:
PP1 - 1080i, color +7, sharpness 8
Iris - f6.0
Shutter - 1/60
Gain - 0 dB
WB - outdoor pre-set
Focus - infinity
+ UV filter

In retrospect, I might have turned on the Cinematone Gamma, opened it up until I saw zebras, then turned it down one stop to try and get a higher dynamic range in the image.
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wow thanks!

I'm reasonably familiar with still photography, but videography is a whole new experience...it's nice to see what the camera can do in capable hands...something to shoot for.

Cheers!

Andrew Stone
A. Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1