Thoughts on external FX1 microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Thoughts on external FX1 microphone

Perhaps you are already bored with FX1 mic discussions, but here's one more.... ;-)

The Audio Technica AT 897 seems to be what I need for some of the types of shots I do. And it seems many of you guys think it's worth it's price, so I'll try it out.

I want to carry as little extra equipment as possible, so I was thinking of skipping the pre-amp (=no Beachtek or similar). The FX1 has a low impedance unbalanced mic input. Since the input is low impedance no impedance transformer is needed for the mic, so it ought to work pretty fine just using a standard XLR to 3,5 mm jack, as long as the cord is short to minimize noise and such. The mic can be powered with a battery, no prob. Anyone tried that and compared it with using a pre-amp?

Next step would be to fix phantom power to the mic, since the specs show that the dynamic range will improve for the mic. The FX1 provides 2.5 V DC out of its mic input, so we just need a DC-DC converter to step up the 2,5 V to 24 V to use as phantom power. I was thinking about building it really small, all from surface mounted parts, (for instance around a SO8 mounted MAX630), perhaps small enough to fit inside a XLR jack. And then mount a pair of these XLRs more or less permanently on the FX1.

Any comments? Will DC ripple from the DC-DC converter ruin the sound? It's just parts for maybe $30, so it's a pretty cheap try.

I've looked on the web for this kind of adapter but not found one. I think it would be ideal for FX1 or camcorders with similar problems.

EDIT: The output impedance of the 2,5 V mic jack is 6.8 kohms, so it will probably not be enough current for the phantom power. But it could be worth a try.
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Major Player

You need 48 V if you record drums at very close distance or something, I think. For camera mounted mic or fishpole mount, etc., internal battery is fine. Just use transformer, nothing else.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Radek.

Why would I need a transformer for the mic? It seems to be no impedance mismatch. The mic has 200-300 ohms, and the FX1 spec says "low impedance", which probably is about the same.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...4dc/index.html

Have you tried this setting, just using a XLR - 3,5 mm jack with built in transformer with success?
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Bjorn,
My AT897 goes straight into my FX1 - and the sound is superb - no problems.
I have the choice of going via the Beacktek box as well, but it's not really necessary...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Robin. I will try it out.
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1