DV from Computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
Major Player

DV from Computer

Using Premiere Pro 1.0, I seem to have intermittent problems using the FX-1 to monitor playback from the computer. DV is going into the computer and the FX-1 is playing HDV with the downconvert on. The Computer captures the downconverted HDV-DV just fine, but then when I try playing back from the timeline, sometimes the picture comes through (to the FX-1 via firewire) and sometimes not. Neither the viewfinder or the monitor attached to the camera see picture. In the menu the VCR is set to AUTO, the i-link conversion is set to ON, and the a/v-dv out is set to OFF. Sometimes changing this last setting to ON then OFF again seems to bring picure briefly, but it doesn't always stay. Even when I don't get picture playback from the timeline the capture module works fine on all fronts. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Premiere Pro 1.0 does not support HDV camera's to the best of my knowledge.
This may create problems even if you use it in DV mode perhaps? If you can I
would upgrade to Pro 1.5 to see if that fixes your problem.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rob for your reply, I guess this hasn't come up for anyone else. It's a thought. Am using a cheapo JVC consumer camcorder and DV-A/V passthrough works just fine with that for now. And yes, when I save up the money for a computer that can handle HDV, Cindform and the newer PPro are in the budget.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Try setting the VCR mode to DV not auto. I expect the VCR in auto is showing HDV to PC if that was how it was used last. The PC needs to see the FX1 as a DV camcorder to playback DV. I think the auto setting is meant to be for FX1 playback not input. I use Premiere 6.5, PPRo 1.5.1 and Edius and all seem to be quite happy with FX1 set as DV and represented as standard Sony camcorder to device control.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Ron, that seems to be doing the trick. Weird, because I could've sworn I tried that before and it hadn't worked. But so far, so good.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1