FX1 vs FX1000 video test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 vs FX1000 video test

Just got the FX1000 so since I still have the FX1 I decided to do a test. I wish it was summer and I could have went more scenic but it is what it is. Also did a low light test, and the FX1000 at max does have 3 more decibels to play with (so its 18 vs 21) but the bottom line is that Its max, so it was a max gain vs max gain comparison.

Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FX1 vs FX1000 video test

Thanks Martin,

Interesting to see the progress made in camcorder front ends over 5 years. The resolution seems to me about the same even though I thought that the FX1/Z1 tended to be a bit soft. Obviously, the CMOS sensors of the FX1000 are more sensitive than the CCDs of the FX1,

a) because Sony has reduced the vertical resolution (ISTR a green 1/2 pixel shift to restore the luminance vertical resolution), the photosites are fewer and larger

and

b) because some development has taken place in the intervening years on CMOS sensors that are slightly more sensitive, (if a bit noisier).

Your sample looks as if the white balance on the FX1 is a bit off. How was it set?

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The shadows in the FX1000 are brighter and more detailed. In the low light test with gain its brighter too but with more noise. Which leads me to think that this has more to do with Sony increasing the amplification in gain levels. So when you set it at 3db your really getting 6db of gain. Reminds me of the movie Spinal Tap when one of the band member show us his amp that goes up to 11.

Greens also are brighter as seen in the tree, this I attribute more to the CMOS sensor.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A prior post talks about brighter greens. But that is because the two camera's are exposed differently. They obviously have a little different ISO. Looking at the first scene, the FX1000 is nearly blowing out a some portions of the siding on one of the buildings, while the FX1 reports it as a darker grey. So I could say by the same test that the FX1000 just can't handle the highlights.

Would like to have seen full screen comparisons of the porch furniture shot. but the same appears to be happening there. The FX1 exhibits detail in the snow, which is good for grading, and the FX1000 does not. Again I think this is a matter of exposing properly.

To be frank, I'm beginning to think the FX1/Z1 triple chip set ups are better than the CMOS arrangements the manufactures have gone to. I am a bit surprised. I have the FX1 and was thinking that I needed to upgrade, but in recent shoots, my FX1 has still be doing great work. With a bad firewire port, I had been thinking about dumping it, but I am now leaning toward fixing the port and adding Sony's recording unit.
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree with Chris about both the white balance and exposure in regards to the outdoor shot. I'd be cautious about making any conclusions but more closely control tests would help. Its probably be better to set the camera to manual and expose the scene properly, noting its settings.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1