Deinterlace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Deinterlace

hello,

I would like you will explain me clearly the difference between progressive of camera ( native ) and progressive by software.
The people who uses HVR-Z1, what sofware do you suggest me for converting 1440x1080i to 1280x720p?

Thanks
Eloy Varela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Check this thread out for conversion methods:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48352

It gives a link to this:
http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/to720p/

I'll let others fill you in on the native vs deinterlaced/resized question.

Cheers
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ringin
Check this thread out for conversion methods:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48352

It gives a link to this:
http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/to720p/

I'll let others fill you in on the native vs deinterlaced/resized question.

Cheers
The recipe referred to is null and useless if you use Sony Vegas, otherwise, it's a pretty good option.

Progressive in the camera means the footage is never interlaced at any point, it is always progressive.

Made from interlaced to progressive in post/software, means you start out with interlaced and end up with progressive.

Both formats have their benefits. Personally, I don't care for 24p or 30p acquired footage for anything that has a lot of movement, when captured with a 1/3" chip cam. But that's opinion, not a quantifiable position.
Interlaced captures fast movement better. Progressive is very smooth, or usually is. It's easy to convert interlaced to progressive, and vice-versa. If it's displayed on a CRT screen, it will be interlaced regardless of what the acquisition method is. If it's displayed on a computer screen or progressive television, it will be progressive taken from interlaced, if captured with an interlaced camera.
Eventually, all displays will be progressive. The grail is 1080p60, which isn't really an option for broadcast right now, but will be. The next best thing is 1080p30, which is doable right now. 1080i60 to 1080p30 is very nice looking, very smooth, if it's managed correctly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Speaking of converting from 60i to 24p, what's different in the new version of Gearshift? I have the 1.2.1 script and noticed the new one is $50.
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
Speaking of converting from 60i to 24p, what's different in the new version of Gearshift? I have the 1.2.1 script and noticed the new one is $50.
First, since you already own the application, you are entitled to a free download of the update.

Second, what's new is:
1. You can convert directly from the timeline, rather than converting entire tapes from the media pool or from the explorer. This saves tremendous amounts of conversion/rendering time.
2. Different options in the rendering queue
3. Auto-ripple of new files (user selected)
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sweet, Free...yeah I think I can afford that. Thank you sir.
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #7
Major Player

DSE,
How would you do the 1080i->720p conversion in Vegas to have the best quality?

Create a 720p project, place the footage on the timeline and apply a smart deinterlace filter?

(I don't have a HDV camera yet but am thinking about getting an FX1)

Thanks.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #8

That's exactly how I'd do it. Are you coming to the VASST training in Melbourne next week? I can take a minute to show you this if you'd like.
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Eventually, all displays will be progressive. The grail is 1080p60, which isn't really an option for broadcast right now, but will be.
Are you saying that 1080p60 is as good as 1080i120 (if available), even for fast paced action scenes?

I'm under the impression that we are far from framerates where an improvement in framerate would not give a visible difference. Perhaps at 1080p2000 (my guess) that would be true.

If given a limited bandwith, will not interlaced always be the preferred method, since it transfers action much better?

Or is it the editing benefits of progressive video you are referring to?
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

Interlace will never be "better" than progressive video, at equivalent frame rates; the only benefit interlace has is when progressive just isn't fast enough. 60p gives better motion rendition than 60i -- you get just as many updates, but they're full frame updates, not split field updates. And since we already have 60p, and any increase in frame rate above 60 is pretty much undetectable to the brain/vision system, I don't expect we'll see too much faster anytime soon.

1080/60i will likely mark the end of interlace. I would strongly expect that all future development of high-def will center on progressive-scan displays. Nearly all high-definition televisions are natively progressive-scan. Of the six ATSC television formats accepted for broadcast, only one is interlace, the other five are progressive. I would bet that there will never be such a thing as 1080/120i.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
That's exactly how I'd do it. Are you coming to the VASST training in Melbourne next week? I can take a minute to show you this if you'd like.
Douglas,

You're visiting Australia next week? When are you in Sydney - and is it just Vegas you are speaking about?

I'm in Sydney. I'm interested in hearing you. I visited the VASST site but couldn't immediately find any reference to an Australian series of talks.

Nigel
Nigel Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Can I second that Spot.

I live in Newcastle - 200km north of SYdney, but might be able to get down to see you if you were there!

Graeme
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #13

visit the http://www.newmagic.com.au site for more information.
Look on the left hand side.

I'll be in Melbourne and Sydney, arriving there later today/your tomorrow.
Would be great to meet some of you!

re: 1080i120....what Barry said.
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #14
New Boot

Test:
record good soft.post
Sony HVR-Z1 1080i ------------------> 1280 x 720p (1)

record
JVC HD100 -------------------------> 1280 x 720p (2)

Wich one is the best quality image (1) or (2)?

I think it would be the second one, but is the difference very big??

Are you be able of understanding me?

Thanks for your reply guys.
Eloy Varela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Barry Wan Kenobi

We do understand you. The answer is not yet clear. It would seem reasonable to expect a native 1280x720p signal to deliver the better 1280x720p final product, but there is much more to it.

First, do you want 24p or 30p? Then the JVC will give the better final result. But if you want the 60p look, the JVC cannot do it at all, and the converted Sony would do a better job.

Then there are other factors to consider, such as lens quality. For issues such as that, only side-by-side testing can deliver the actual true answer.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1