hard cases for the z1 - or soft case ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 8th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hard cases for the z1 - or soft case ?

I want to buy a hard case and i have been told selicon (i beleive) makes good ones.
does anyone know of the size i should get?

also these selicon cases are they airport friendly in order to take them with you to the plane?

would you guys suggest the softcases over this one by any chance?
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #2
Major Player

They're called Pelican cases. They usually come with pluck-away foam that lets you to get the perfect fit for the camera.

I'll probably get a hard case for my Z1 sooner or later. I like the run and go ability of the soft case, but in my field of work, a hard case is a very good thing.

Does anyone know if there exists some kind of backpack that lets you throw a camera and accessories in it? I'd take it everywhere I go.
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
Does anyone know if there exists some kind of backpack that lets you throw a camera and accessories in it? I'd take it everywhere I go.
Kata makes some really great camera backpaks. I have the R-102 but its not big enough for my Z1 so I bought the MC-60 and I’m very happy with it. Both include a space for your laptop computer. The backpack also comes with an external tripod holder and a rain cover.

The Kata BP-502 can hold an XL-2 so it should fit the FX1/Z1. These bags are very rugged, they have configurable internal sections to fit right to your camera, and have lots of pockets and tie-down pouches. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

~jr
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

camrade just finished a softcase for the z1. Upon my request big enough to keep a chrozielmattebox always fitted. You can use it as a normal handbag but you can also use it as a backpack although it does not look like it is a backpack.
The next batch will have longer carrying handles so you can do this also when working in a winteroutfit......
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

We've discussed this multiple times here, do a search and you'll find good info.

I bought a Storm 2270, it's perfect, holds cam, 2 extra batts, all accessories, 6 tapes in big boxes, and has enough room for 2 litepanels (when I can afford them). Price was very reasonable, it's been shipped via FedEx and been on a train & boat from Honolulu to Indy with no problems.

I also have a Portabrace Cargo 2 that I use for around town. It's a bit pricey, but an outstanding bag.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

This is probably the definitive discussion of Z1 cases:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1