Live News Gathering testing with Sony HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Live News Gathering testing with Sony HDV

Anyone interested in evaluating our portable Sony-HDV to ASI converter unit for a live HDV shooting? We have this new product developed and would like to hear if there is anyone interested in evaluating our product.

This battery operated portable unit will mount under the camera, plug into 1394 port via a 12" cable, operate for 8 hours, and generate an ASI output. The ASI signal can be uplinked or microwaved back to studio for a live HDV programming.

We have only tested with Sony HVR-Z1 camera. I would love to hear user comments and evaluations before we release this product...
Steve Kuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Steve, sure.
I have both a Sony Z1U and a new Canon XL-H1.
And I'm bored for the holidays. *smile*

How can I be of service? If you need someone with a news truck who can uplink the ASI signal, then I can't help you, sorry. But if you have all the covered and want to do something (maybe the Rose Parade or Community Day 2006), then let me know.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, come on down to the Rose Parade- I'll be down there technical directing the ABC broadcast and I'm thinking of bringing my FX-1 - since our broadcast is in HD.

Shannon, I'd love to check out the XL-H1! If you come down, we can put the camera into my switcher using HD-SDI and do some tests. We'll have HD-SDI scopes and monitors.

Mike Tiffee
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #4
New Boot

I am going to take on your offers and go to the Rose Parade. I live in Northridge... so it will be a short trip. I will be bringing Sony Z1U and our 1394-to-ASI converter. Maybe we can hook up and do some testing...

I look forward to seeing you guys. Can we meet at the ABC truck location?
Steve Kuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I just wish that our only local digital news provider, BC CTV, had this technology the next time they go to the PNE for CTV News @ 5 and 6 Live from the PNE in HD. Do you wanna see Tamara Taggart in HD? (If you don't know her, google her)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
Do you wanna see Tamara Taggart in HD?
Yes, Please.
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey guys, don't forget your rain covers, it's supposed to rain from Saturday to Monday in Pasadena.
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
Hey guys, don't forget your rain covers, it's supposed to rain from Saturday to Monday in Pasadena.
Thanks for raining on my parade! :-)
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I went to the Holiday Bowl last night, and noticed that ESPN was using CBS's equipment, and with CBS broadcasting 1080i and ABC/ESPN broadcasting 720p, what is the story with their cameras? Do they have dual capability or is the down conversion done in the truck?

As an aside, it was a great game, nice to see my Sooners win a bowl, the last 2 have been less than fun.
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:16 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
I went to the Holiday Bowl last night, and noticed that ESPN was using CBS's equipment, and with CBS broadcasting 1080i and ABC/ESPN broadcasting 720p, what is the story with their cameras? Do they have dual capability or is the down conversion done in the truck?

As an aside, it was a great game, nice to see my Sooners win a bowl, the last 2 have been less than fun.
None of the networks really own much of equipment they use on remote sports broadcasts. They rent trucks from vendors. Sometimes networks have special requirements and contract with a truck company to build a truck to certain specifications- like "Super Shooter 24" was built specifically for CBS and their "A" football show. (It's also the sweetest truck on the road right now - IMO)
http://guardian.nepinc.com/packages/ss24/index.php
When the networks enter a long-term agreement with a truck company and specific truck, they many times have decals placed on the truck and stickers put on the cameras, etc. I've done shows with NBC logos on the truck that were covered with ABC banners.

I can't speculate as to what was happening at the Holiday Bowl, but the entire broadcast could've been done in 1080i then cross-converted (not down-converted) to 720p before transmission to ESPN. It's also possible the truck is capable of dual format. SS24 for example has the Sony HDC900 cameras which are capable, with an extra card inserted, of 720p.

At last years Rose Parade we used a 1080i only truck and cross-converted. This year we're producing and broadcasting in 720p- using SS19, one of the newest HD trucks on the road.
http://guardian.nepinc.com/packages/ss19/index.php
Old January 1st, 2006, 01:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

It may very well be that truck you speak of as there were 2 trucks parked side by side much like the ss24 diagram. CBS did the San Diego Chargers game today which is probably why that CBS tagged equipment was used for the Holiday Bowl.

What exactly is the difference between cross conversion and down conversion?

Thanks for the info.. good stuff.
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
What exactly is the difference between cross conversion and down conversion?

Thanks for the info.. good stuff.
up-conversion - going from SD to HD
down-conversion - going from HD to SD
cross-conversion - going between HD formats

The truck that did the holiday bowl was Gamecreek Patriot. Most all trucks have a "B" unit that parks next door- this truck usually houses graphics and extra vendors like 1st and 10 yellow line stuff, robotic camera operator positions, etc.
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I see. thanks for all the info.
John McGinley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1