DV LP... What does it look like... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DV LP... What does it look like...

...On a Z1?

Just curious, but can someone screen capture a DV LP shot tape being played back on the Z1 to see how bad it handles it?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Wrangler

The Z1 does not have a DV LP mode. If you want standard definition you can choose either DV SP or DVCAM. This is the same with Sony's other "pro" cameras. The PD-170 and PDX-10 don't shoot DV LP either. But regardless, there's no image quality difference between DV SP, DV LP or DVCAM. They all write the same 1's and 0's, but the tape runs at different speeds.

Or maybe I'm not understanding.... are you asking if a DV LP tape shot on another camera will play on the Z1? No idea there because I've never shot anything in DV LP on any of my cameras!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Doug S. Eagle, you have any ideas as to what the screen would look like if you play a DV LP tape on the Z1? Or do you have an actual screenshot of one?
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It will be no different to playing any other DV tape, except you're far more likely to get dropouts (possibly to the extent of making the footage unusable, if the original camera's tracking was misaligned).
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Major Player

LP just uses the recording media differently by going at different speeds. The image quality is the same but you cheaply get more recording time. However, LP is very prone to glitches and some garbled and/or weak audio/video here and there.

For example, imagine a rollercoaster going at normal fast speed. The rollercoaster is made up of ramps, gears, and tracks all stuck together in small segments. Now, do you feel all the bumps or scrapes along the track as you're flying through the ride? No, the ride is moving too fast for you to notice all the friction from the moving parts and everything. Okay, now when everything is slowed down, you'll feel the cranking of the track as the cart is pulled along, you'll feel the occasional fidgetting from the movement from one segment to another, and you'll probably hear more of a screeching sound from the machinery. But you get a longer ride.

Either that's a really good example, or I've missed the point entirely.
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

^Thanks guys for clearing up the LP mode on other cams but what about viewing LP on a Z1?!?!
Old December 27th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Trustee

Jack,

The problem is that playing LP on anything other than the machine that recorded it is problematic. I could test it for you I suppose, but only if you tell me why it is important to know?

I happen to have a brand new ZR100 that I could put a good tape into, shoot a few moments, and then play it back on a FX1. Which would be the same as using a Z1 for this particular purpose. If I take it out of the box and test this, what would it prove if it worked? Or if it didn't work?
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Which would be the same as using a Z1 for this particular purpose.
Maybe... but not necessarily. The Z1 does not support DV LP but the FX1 does. It can't record DV LP; it might play it back, however the manual does not make any mention of this.

But I agree with you... what's the point? LP is a format which very few of us ever use for the reason you describe. It isn't very portable between cameras and is more prone to dropouts.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
The Z1 does not support DV LP but the FX1 does.
Doesn't record LP, but plays LP. Well, I'm 99% sure it's playing LP, the time remaining on the 'probably LP' tape I tested it with jumps from 59-ish minutes to 85-ish minutes when I press play.
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
I could test it for you I suppose, but only if you tell me why it is important to know?
I have a big library of DV LP tapes and I'd just like to know if it could play it properly or I'll get tons of macroblocks and you could possibly give me a visualization of what it looks like.

And yes, use that ZR100 in LP mode (16bit) and play it on the Z1 and give me a screenshot of what it looks like (you can choose the worst frame or best or both).
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Inner Circle

terribly sorry for the bump.

I have just rented a Z1 and I have a confirmed that it SUPPORTS DV LP!!!

The timecode is in sync, no macroblocks, the footage looks perfect on the Z1!

The only difference is that the Z1 displays "DV (60i/50i)" instead of "DV SP (60i/50i)" so all you guys who were reluctant to get a Z1 cause it didn't play DV LP. I'm telling you it can and get a Z1!!!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1