FX1/Z1 Casings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 1st, 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Major Player

FX1/Z1 Casings

I really dont know if this is the right forum, but here goes anyway.

I have an FX1, and I have bought everything for it but a case.

I'm looking for a simple hard case - because I will be going to a lot of locations where my luggage will be smashed agsinst other peoples belongings.... ie airports.

I've only have a $300-$400 AUD budget, thats about $225-$300 US.

Some people have suggested Pelican, but I dont know what model, and they all seem too small to fit an FX1 in them, unless I buy the huge models which go up to $600 AUD.

Otherwise, I'll just crawl back to sony and buy that $650 AUD Hard case they sell specificaly for the FX1.... But to me, it just looks like Daylight robbery.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hey Lou.... I've moved you to the FX1 forum since it seems pretty specific to those cameras. Have you seen this long thread on the topic?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Trustee

I perused that thread and did not immediately see the one critical dimension for carry-on hard cases. I have a Doskocil case:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product...pid=1336&m=141

...and it has a Height of about 9 inches. This seems fairly critical since overhead compartments seem to be only 10 inches. My case has about an inch to spare and I have flown with it several times. The other advantage of the Doskocil is it's low price. I have found them for as low as $65. Be careful since they have a smaller case that is not big enough for the FX1. Make sure it's outer dimensions are about 21x16x9 inches. (525x400x225mm?) This case is very similar in size to a Pelican 1550.

I've been thinking about getting the Pelican 1600 as it is larger in the Lenght and Width but it remains below the 10" (25mm) Height so it should fit in overhead compartments, but I can't give any guarantees.

Google "tsa honolulu theft" and you will see why I recommend getting a case that can be carried into the main cabin. I have never trusted baggage handlers because of all the stories I have heard throughout my life. Now, even government agents are in on the game. I just hope they don't do what other forum members fear and become so corrupt they will accept bribes and unscanned packages from dangerous individuals. Read about the luggage problem in the Open DV Discussion forum.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64217
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the tip Marcus...

Yes, I also fear baggage handlers (I live in OZ and I been to Indonesia once, three weeks before our Schappele Corby case), and thats why when I got my FX1 I bought a hard case for 75AUD, thats about 50 American, and it was cheap and works alright, but I only got it so I can hold onto it with me.

But now I'm looking for something more reliable... because the one I have is cheap because it has dodgy locks... You know the kind, a flat key, that is as small as a 10 cent peice and withonly 2 teeth, it looks like anyone with a hair clip can twist it open.

So I only use it as a storage case and for something to bring with me if I know I wont be leaving anything valuable inside when I run and gun.

My case is about 8-9 inches thick on the outside, that fits an FX1 perfectly with the foam holding it together at 7 inches inside. But, if the Doscokil is more secure to have, then I'm all for it, and its only a few bucks more than my crappy, no-name brand.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Trustee

My case has 4 LARGE plastic clips that hold the lid tight to the case. They are spread out to help compress the o-ring securely. This case is airtight. I use mine on my VX2000 and I like it and it's price so much I tested a friend's FX1 with it and now he also has one! I've had mine for about 5 years. If I decide to upgrade, I'll get the Pelican 1600 as long as I can find out if it will definitely work as a carry-on case.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Trustee

May I know if you guys get the foam cutout done by the supplier? Or are they loose pieces?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Most cases come with a solid bed of foam that has serated cuts through them, so if you want to have something that fit snuggly, just pull out the pieces that you want out, the rest will stay in securely.

The most expensive ones are the ones that have just one piece of foam, and is cut to order....
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Trustee

I replaced the cube-cut foam with my own. I cut it to fit my camera using an electric carving knife. This is the method professional upholsterers use. I just traced an outline of my camera and cut it out of the foam. I then got a plastic container with built-in lid and cut a space for it in the foam. I use that for accessories. Electric carving knives are about $20 and are worth it to get perfect custom foam. Heck, upholstery foam and a carving knife are cheaper than pre-made "custom" foam. Just be careful as the knives are designed to carve flesh quickly. The reason they work so well with foam is that they don't compress the foam out of shape while cutting. They just cut through like a laser without moving the foam.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1