must have accessories FX1/Z1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1
New Boot

must have accessories FX1/Z1U

Hello all, I'm going to be using an FX1 or Z1U for the first time in the near future. I have all the support equipment I need (lights, tripods, etc.) but I don't know much about on-camera accessories (mattebox, shoulder brace, etc.) for these cameras. Could anyone give me a few recommendations on helpful or "must have" items to go on the camera. I've checked the archive and a .6x or .7x WA adapter sounds very helpful. Does anyone have a favorite brand (Century and 16x9 Inc models appear to be recommended)? Is the lens prone to flare? Are there any filters you find yourself using consistently?

Thanks for any advice.
Drew Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Buchanan
Hello all, I'm going to be using an FX1 or Z1U for the first time in the near future. I have all the support equipment I need (lights, tripods, etc.) but I don't know much about on-camera accessories (mattebox, shoulder brace, etc.) for these cameras. Could anyone give me a few recommendations on helpful or "must have" items to go on the camera. I've checked the archive and a .6x or .7x WA adapter sounds very helpful. Does anyone have a favorite brand (Century and 16x9 Inc models appear to be recommended)? Is the lens prone to flare? Are there any filters you find yourself using consistently?

Thanks for any advice.
You didn't mention what you were shooting and you didn't mention sound equipment. If you go FX1, you will want to consider XLR adapter for pro level mics. And your on board mics will not really be that great for critical work, so you will need to consider pro level mics.
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3
New Boot

Sorry I should have made that clear, the audio gear is set too. I'm more wondering about on-camera gear people find useful for very general production - doc-style shooting, occasional corporate gig, and some commerical (not necessarily narrative, as the project would demand specific tools). I need to know about things like a alternative system for holding the camera (like a spider brace), the necessity of a matte box (flares are great, but most of my paying clients don't want them), or maybe zoom/focus controllers. I'm coming from a film BG, and just want to be sure I have what I need when this camera gets in my hands.
Drew Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

Have you seen these threads?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64320
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58525
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57910
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1