Rolling/Airline case suggestions for.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Rolling/Airline case suggestions for..

a Z1 and Fx1 combo. I need a case to travel with. ONe small enough for
overhead, but sturdy enough if I have to gate check. I don't have a local
store where I can go put th ecameras in the bag. Does anyone have
one they recommend? Right now I have a Lowepro Commercial AW and a Magnum AW bag. I would keep the commercial for one cam shoots.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'm a little confused... do you mean you want to put two cameras in the same case? Have you seen the following thread? It doesn't really consider a two camera scenario however: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Boyd,

Yes, i want two cameras in the same case, along with batteries,
my wireless and anything i would need to survive a shoot IF my other
stuff were to get lost. I am kind of leaning towards the pelican with
soft dividers.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Trustee

Two camera's in one case is a bit difficult. Something like the Pelican 1600 might work, but an overhead that fits two cams is going to be tight. The FX1 has to lay on it's side in a case with those dimensions (I have one similar but smaller in the width). You may be able to do it with a carry-on, but you should get the tape measure out first. The critical dimension with carry-on is the ~9" height limitation. The overhead compartments are about 10" tall in many planes, so make sure the height is smaller. My case (a Doskocil) has about an outside height of 9.25" and just barely fits. If you go larger than the 1600, you will probably not be allowed to carry it into the cabin. Even the 1600 may be a bit much for a crowded flight with packed overhead bins. I looked at the thread Boyd mentioned and the Hardigg Storm Case model iM2700 is of similar dimensions. There are rolling versions of these cases, but I suspect they may not fit in an overhead compartment.

If you don't mind checking your cameras (shiver), the sky is the limit with these cases. There are some very large models.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #5
Major Player

well, I certainly wouldnt mind "gate" checking a bag that is too close
to call for overhead bins and commuter flights as long as my gear is
well protected, and a pelican would certain fill the bill.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1