urgent,Z1 setup won't change to 7.5% at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 12th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

urgent,Z1 setup won't change to 7.5%

In the camera setup menu at one time I set the "setup" to 0% black instead of 7.5, preferring the darker black which should be ok cuz not going to broadcast. But today I wanted to set it to 7.5% to match an FX1 which will be used on the same shoot.

When I turn the menu wheel I can go to where it says "setup" and 0 is displayed. I push the wheel in and nothing happens, so I can't see any way to change it to 7.5% It's set for 60i, so I should have the option. According to the manual I should be able to change it so I don't know why I can't.

Last edited by Chris Gorman; June 12th, 2006 at 01:00 AM. Reason: forgot to subscribe
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Chris

Is it possible you've got the camera set to HDV mode? I think this feature is only allowed if you are set to DVCAM or DV mode?

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris - the 'ability' to change the black level from 0% to 7.5% is only available when the "RECORD FORMAT" option is set to "DV".

As far as I know at least.

If you go to the IN/OUT menu - and change REC FORMAT to DV then the setup option will go white/lights up so you can change it - otherwise it's dimmed out - and defaults to the darker 0%. I assume you are recording in HDV1080i.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have never experimented with the setup options on my Z1, but if it's like the other Sony cameras then you should leave it at 0 (BTW, it's 0 IRE and not 0%). 0 is the correct level for digital video, and many people think the way Sony implements this is wrong. If you change to 7.5 IRE then all your blacks will be recorded as grey.

See the following for in-depth discussioin:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45073
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=35267
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=35420
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

I thought it WAS 0%, since IRE was an analogue thing, and the Z1 is a digital camera?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

You're right, but Sony gives you a menu option to set it to 7.5 on the Z1, PDX-10, PD-170 and PD-150. But instead of raising the level of the analog outputs like it should, it changes the way things are recorded, making the blacks grey. See the links I posted above for more info.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks, I confirmed that it's only in DV SP mode that you can select setup. For this particular shoot I'm using HDV tho sometimes I'm required to shoot DVsp mode, so this clarification helps. The manual confused me because it said it was automatically set at 0 only for 50i, not 60i. Also the cam menu setup line when in HDV mode does not stay greyed out when you roll over it so it looks as if it should be selectable when it's not.

I assume that the FX1 shooting in HDV will also automatically have setup at 0%, so it should match my Z1.

On another upcoming shoot I have to shoot DVsp mode, so I'll select 0 and assure that the person shooting 2nd camera for me with his Sony 250, set his at 0.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1